Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System
Login

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
Can we get somebody from Cryptic to share the wisdom and thinking behind creating starbase doffs?

Currently you can buy starbase doff packs for fleet credits. However doffs from those packs:

* cannot be contributed to sb projects
* do not give dil/recruitment xp on dismiss
* yet can still be sold on exchange

Now I do understand that there's certain brain thinning during the summer time but this is just beyond me.

What is the point of white doffs that cannot be used for the very purposes white doffs are used for: grind/dismiss/feed to sb projects? And those doffs look EXACTLY alike normal doffs that can be used for such purposes? (Read good luck buying doffs on exchange, especially those sensor doffs for 500k a piece).

And while I can foresee the "oh people with a lof of credits will buy a lot of doffs" argument, may I remind you that fleet credits do not come out of thin air.
STF Elite Advanced Tactics
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,309
# 2
08-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Can SB Doffs be combined - 5 Whites into a Green, 5 Greens into a Blue, etc? And once you combine them can the Greens be used in SB projects? And if you break down a Green into 3 Whites can those DOFFs be used in SB projects?

I didn't do any testing on Tribble, so what I'm basically asking is does the game give you ways to turn essentially free SB DOFFs into regular DOFFS though a process of Combining and Breaking them down?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,203
# 3
08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Huh, I didn't know you couldn't use them to contribute to bases, but I am regularly upgrading them into greens...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
# 4
08-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Can SB Doffs be combined - 5 Whites into a Green, 5 Greens into a Blue, etc? And once you combine them can the Greens be used in SB projects? And if you break down a Green into 3 Whites can those DOFFs be used in SB projects?

I didn't do any testing on Tribble, so what I'm basically asking is does the game give you ways to turn essentially free SB DOFFs into regular DOFFS though a process of Combining and Breaking them down?
Well you can grind them allright, but grinding/shredding aint exactly profitable:

5 doffs + 10 dil -> doff shredder -> 3 normal white doffs

IIRC the price for doff pack is 5000 fleet credits. I haven't bought one myself yet, but I assume it's gonna yield 3 white doffs of unknown specialty. 5000 credits is 100 dil or 33 white doffs.

That's the resource cost. There's much larger time cost in it where you have to do very boring things using an abysmal doff interface. Not exactly a pleasure.

THEY AINT EXACTLY FREE sb doffs.

What pisses me off is that they look exactly like normal white doffs but lack functionality of white doffs that I consider essential. We're all building starbases aren't we?
STF Elite Advanced Tactics
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 232
# 5
08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde123123 View Post
* cannot be contributed to sb projects
* yet can still be sold on exchange
* [...]those doffs look EXACTLY alike normal doffs[...]
If that combination is true, then ... oh, yeah, I'd call that an epic brainfart.
That means buying DOffs from the exchange is now basically impossible if you want them for the starbase, as you'd risk paying for a totally worthless one.
That should give an outcry that will make people on the ISS go permenantly deaf and will have every martian complain that it's drowning out his TV even at full volume setting.
Truely Epic.

Oh, I just checked: according to Zero on the devtracker, that's working as intended.
ROFL!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,309
# 6
08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Any time you're just using sweat equity it's free, IMO.

Most of us have tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of Fleet Credits - and most of the Fleet Store items are sub-standard compared to what we already have - and you can make 1,440 Dilithium in about 10 minutes.

If I can convert 5 SB DOFFs into 3 useful DOFFS that can save me a lot of ECs on the Exchange or dollars in the C-Store. If that's how it works it seems like an OK deal for me. But I'm not hung-up on Immediate Gratification. I'm willing to work a little to get what I want.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 7
08-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde123123 View Post
Can we get somebody from Cryptic to share the wisdom and thinking behind creating starbase doffs?
Nope. Cryptic said they are working as intended!

Huzzah!

Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,561
# 8
08-23-2012, 08:43 AM
whaaaaat? i just yesterday bought 40 fleet doffs and 7 i put into a SB project...you better check that before you distribute missinformation.

the only downside, when purchasing them is, that they are either random tactical or security...or operations and engineers and so on.

eventually after filling up my doff roster with the once i couldn't contribute, i go to the acadamy and get greens, which i downgrade again...until the SB assignements are filled or i have no fleet credits left to buy fleet doffs.

don't give me "thats impossible", because i did it yesterday and nearly filled 3 sepperate assignments with doffs worth approximately 130k fleet credits from sepperate toons.


PS: it seems military boxes favour tactical doffs...in a 7 to 3 ratio...but thats just subjective observation


PPS: one box with one white cost me 500 fleet credits...it's the completely random box. However the class specific cost 750 fleet credits and have a 50-50 chance (presumably) to drop either a tactical or a security for a military box.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 08-23-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 271
# 9
08-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Yes you will be able to i think>
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,309
# 10
08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
whaaaaat? i just yesterday bought 40 fleet doffs and 7 i put into a SB project...you better check that before you distribute missinformation.

the only downside, when purchasing them is, that they are either random tactical or security...or operations and engineers and so on.

eventually after filling up my doff roster with the once i couldn't contribute, i go to the acadamy and get greens, which i downgrade again...until the SB assignements are filled or i have no fleet credits left to buy fleet doffs.

don't give me "thats impossible", because i did it yesterday and nearly filled 3 sepperate assignments with doffs worth approximately 130k fleet credits from sepperate toons.
The system on Tribble didn't allow it, and that's the system going into Holodeck with the patch today.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 PM.