Lieutenant
# 261
08-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Quote:
What I found intriguing about the Steam download is that it didn't seem to install the files on my system in a noticable location. And the STO shortcut on my desktop linked directly to Steam, which then seemed to try to kick off the launcher. Of course, the launcher failed to connect, yet again.
Steam apps are installed in the steam folder usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common

also the zen balance on that page is what is in your account wallet before you transfer it to STO
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Career Officer
# 262
08-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Threads been quiet today, I guess nothing new to report huh?

I still cant get in......Going on 2 weeks since resubscribed, 3 months since this all began

Last edited by bannon3; 08-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Career Officer
# 263
08-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Tried a Perfectworld.com ping, I just got back 4 Request timed outs. Soooo aggrevating
Commander
# 264
08-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah, supposedly the new patch update and shard maintenance has completed already. Yet, I'm still getting the same results, click on my STO desktop shortcut, then "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient. Tried connecting 2 times." Then the dreaded "Unable to establish connection to Patch Server. Please check your Internet connection. If problems persist...etc., etc.".

I'm pretty much fried, in trying to solve this. Has anyone else had any luck getting in, since this morning's patch and shard maintenance?
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Ensign
# 265
08-23-2012, 11:29 AM
tracert clearly identifies the issue is with patchserver.

Had friends run tests for my connection external and internal, everything is running at 89% effective this was at peak time.

It is a cryptic switch over issue, last patch killed us.
Lieutenant
# 266
08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannon3 View Post
Threads been quiet today, I guess nothing new to report huh?

I still cant get in......Going on 2 weeks since resubscribed, 3 months since this all began
Try here too, averydd posted this earlier, at this point I'm only sticking around to submit info to help you guys out. I've resubbed to WoW and if I do get back on STO it will be to say bye to my fleetmates.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Ensign
# 267
08-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Same here, failed to login to patch server. It is not my pc as I can access other mmo's fine, cant believe perfect world or cryptic or whatever they are haven't addressed this yet. Very disappointing after I was starting to get back into the game after an absence. Oh well, guess I'll try again in 6 months they might have it fixed by then. Have perfect world said anything constructive on this yet????
Commander
# 268
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Okies ladies and gents, I just came within a hair's breadth of declaring victory over this gods foresaken problem, only to have that victory snatched away!!!

I did some poking around via Google, searching for any and all hits with regard to "Launcher PCL Error" (in quotes and originally found in my game folder's error log as 'Launcher PCL Error the connection was idle for too long'). Well, in the course of my search, I came across this Forum thread, for another PWE game, found here: http://server.getaway.perfectworld.c...255461&page=14.

So, this person there, named Xanfar, suggested that everyone take a peek at this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...152208453.jpg/. So, even though I only have a passing understanding of German, I realized what he was getting at and also realized that the layout in English is identical. So, I right clicked on my desktop STO icon, then went to 'Properties', then set everything up (almost everything, as I checked off 'Windows XP (Service Pack 3)) as seen in the screencapture pic I posted above.

I then tried the STO desktop icon again and...lo and frakkin' behold...the launcher actually came up!!!! I then promptly clicked on 'Patch' and it actually started patching. I let the patch conclude. Then I clicked on 'Launch'. The 'Cryptic' logo came up and one of those 'PC is thinking' blue circles was spinning.

And here's where victory got snatched away...a ding ding resounded and I got a fatal error message. No idea what it was. So, then I tried again...went back to the same "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient. Tried connecting 2 times." shtick.

So, then I right clicked on my desktop STO icon again and changed the compatibility for 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)'. Tried desktop STO launch icon again. And, again the launcher/login came up! This time it was accompanied by a prompt that I had suffered an error and asked if I would like to Verify files (saying it would take 10 to 20 minutes). I clicked yes.

Now, please bear in mind that I've never done a 'Force Verify' before. I noticed all sorts of stuff in the launcher progress bar for a while and then it seemed to hang on 'Connecting...'. So, I clicked on the 'Options' link, in the launcher, and made sure that 'Force Verify' had been checked. Even though it still said 'Connecting...', I tried to click on 'Launch' and nothing happened.

Tried the STO desktop icon again. Got the usual "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient. Tried connecting 2 times." again. Tried to change back to another compatibility mode. No luck.

So, it seems as though I got sooooo close and yet I still feel soooo far from resolving this once and for all.

Any thoughts on this psuedo-progress I experienced all?
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71
Commander
# 269
08-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Okaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy...so, I just got another email from PWE Tech Support and I couldn't help laughing, like the nerve-shot hysteric I've become as a result of troubleshooting this issue obsessively for almost a week now!

Here's what they sent me:

"Hello ,

Please contact your Internet Service Provider about this issue. It may be a good idea to request that your IP traffic be routed through an alternate Domain Name Server (DNS).

If the issue persists, please let us know."

Well, I have to admit that this suggestion was on my 'to-do' list, in case the matter hadn't resolved itself with today's patch.

So, I'm gonna uninstall the game again, restart. Use the torrent I downloaded last night (very early this morning actually) to reinstall. Then, I'll call my ISP...again. Last time I hadn't thought to "request that my IP traffic be routed through an alternate Domain Name Server (DNS)".

I'll keep ya all posted and also keep checking if anyone else has come up with a viable, working solution.
methos71
Career Officer
# 270
08-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Methos, I think you just hit that lucky moment where the launcher comes up thing because I tried the XP compatibility thing last night and got the same old trying to update launcher business. Seems everyone is giving up here and I don't blame them in a way but we should redouble our efforts and start messaging branflakes and other PWE staff until either they ban us or listen. What's thereto lose at this point? We have no game to play.

EDIT: Got this from Support, LMAO:

Hello again,

Thank you very much for your patience in regards to this issue.

Please go to: http://files.startrekonline.com/laun...k%20Online.exe to manually download the launcher.

Please be sure to put the file into your Cryptic Launcher folder; which is typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios; overwriting the existing file of the same name that is in there. This will be the same folder that also has CrypticError.exe.

Please edit this ticket if you continue having difficulties.

The version numbers of this launcher versus the other are different and my install folder is Public/Games/Cryptic Studios

Still doesnt work anyway, I got excited for a moment and thought this might be a manual launcher, oh well.

Last edited by bannon3; 08-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.