Lieutenant
# 1 The Official Starfleet Uniform
08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
What is the official Starfleet uniform in 2409?

Now now, I'm not out to set one uniform and have no variations, I love the customization we get now. It's just it would be nice to know THE uniform that Starfleet has adopted as it's official one, especially for those looking for an RP experience.
In STO, due to the number of NPCs we see in it, and the sheer number of said NPCs, it must be assumed that the Antares 2 is the official starfleet uniform. All the NPCs on our ships wear it too. I have an Antares 2 in my uniform slots, for when I'm RPing on my ship.
However, I really really hate the Antares 2. It's dull, but with that really monotone design, which is absolutely dominated by RED or GOLD or BLUE without much trim, it doesn't seem military or professional enough - true enough, we did have that in TOS, TNG, VOY, and early DS9, but after the military, smart style of the First Contact uniform (which I loved) it doesn't feel right.

So, here is my main point:
The standard Starfleet uniform seems to have changed each time a new Enterprise is commissioned. We saw this when the First Contact uniform entered service (I believe the DS9/VOY uniforms were only different to the TNG ones to differentiate between Starship crew and Starbase crew until the VOY uniforms became standard).
So, is it time for a change. If we look at the Captain Shon and the crew of he Enterprise-F, they are all wearing the Jupiter uniforms (I believe it's called Jupiter Veteran, but they are wearing the standard one - withouth silver or gold shoulders). I know I spoke about lots of colour above, but I like the Jupiter Veteran Uniforms. The amount of black/grey trim makes them appear military, the longer length makes them a bit more formal (like the old dress uniforms) and IMO, they have FLAIR!!!!!!

So, do you prefer the Antares 2 or the Jupiter Vet (I know its the Jupiter for me)? And do you think that that should be the official uniform of Starfleet?

Looking forward to comments

*EDIT* Also note that a lot of the new Fleet Starbase personnel are in the Jupiter Vet uniforms
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-22-2012, 02:19 PM
I prefer the antares 2 uniform.
Not because I like the design (IT IS dull) but I hate uniform conflict onboard my ship if I beam to the bridge.

(Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
Lieutenant
# 3
08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that everyone of the antares and sierra variants are official. Other than that, there is really no official one. Some people just prefer some over others.
Rihannsu
# 4
08-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Game characters (NPC's) would not wear unofficial clothes. So it is Sierra, Antares and Jupiter. Also, text on loading screen states that new Starfleet code permits officers to choose uniforms, so all these uniforms are official.

Last edited by taut0u; 08-22-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Indeed, the STO lore says that (can't remember the exact stardate) Starfleet passed a new uniform code that allowed for multiple uniform variants.

If I absolutely had to choose one as an official uniform, I would go with the Sierra 1. Its worn by the guy on the cover art, it was the first version seen in the early renders before the game was released, and it (Or a close version)was seen worn by Captain Data and crew in the Star Trek 2009 Countdown prequel comic.
http://borgdotcom.files.wordpress.co...ptain-data.jpg

Joined August 2009
Captain
# 6
08-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Yay! Someone else other than me hates the standard uniforms!

Not only are they dull, they look like they're made out of plastic, and would be very uncomfortable. TNG season 1 Uniforms look fugly too, but at least they look wearable. The Jupiter Uniforms are cool, but they're almost too cool, they look more like Militarised Leather Jackets. (Someone make a videogame about a civilization of super advanced biker gangs now!) So they don't feel very "Treky", but I do like them.

Uniforms need to be more clothy or comfortable looking. :\
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Ensign
# 7
08-23-2012, 04:28 AM
I've always taken it as:

Antares: Non-Com / Duty Officers

Sierra: Officers / Bridge Crew
Rihannsu
# 8
08-23-2012, 05:01 AM
I've always hated the Antares/Sierra/Jupiter uniforms.
Then again, I'm of the firm belief that after the later-DS9/TNG film uniform, it's the AGT/Endgame.
Career Officer
# 9
08-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedwalrus View Post
I've always taken it as:

Antares: Non-Com / Duty Officers

Sierra: Officers / Bridge Crew
That's what I figure, too. Sierra 1 for officers, Antares 2 for everyone wandering around.
Lieutenant
# 10
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm going with the no official uniform lore.. I assume that somewhere along the way the federation came to the decision that allowing outward appearance of individuality to shine would be of benefit to them.. That it would psychologically motivate someone to dwelve deeper into their core existence and extrapolate on their strengths..

Perhaps a strongly imposed mentality by one of the more recently joined federation member races.

Last edited by dwapook; 08-23-2012 at 02:26 PM.