Banned
# 21
08-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes - and the point here is - it is FAR from what the people want.

And it is the people who play, and pay for, the game.

Also - I want to know *why* these changes are being made the way they are. We've lost almost all dev trasnparency

Last edited by mexxxme; 08-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Career Officer
# 22
08-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Probably because the player base keeps asking for things that break the intended rate of starbase progression, like the broken marks on Nukara that got fixed, or the DOffs from starbases being reused in them. For some reason people get mad when these problems get fixed.

I do really wish they'd mark fleet DOffs somehow, though, as the potential to buy a DOff you can't even use in starbases off the exchange is indeed a painfully aggravating thing.
I think you're right to a point. Players want things to be easy and when a process that makes things easier is taken off they complain.

But even I have to admit that the cost to do fleet projects is sky high as is.

Fleet DOffs took the pain out of that. And now that it's gone I've got to look forward to my grind taking even longer.

I'm not happy and I can understand why players aren't thrilled with this change either.
Empire Veteran
# 23
08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Fleet Doffs are Undine. That's why we can't use them for Starbases.

I don't do the starbase Doff grind. If I have Doffs a project needs and I'm not using him then I'll sacrifice him to the starbase gods. Otherwise, no. I'll contribute everything else, because most other stuff won't take most of my time/patience to acquire (rotgut excluded). I play STO to have fun (theoretically anyway). The moronic Doff requirements of starbase projects make doing those not fun.

We should have a category of Doff assignments called 'Fleet' that are recruitment missions for Doffs needed by starbase projects. Give them a day to complete and we can get up to 3 starbase-demanded Doffs (randomly generated out of a list of all the Doffs required by starbase projects). That sounds Trek to me. Reassigning green+ Doffs to get whites on the off-chance they'll be what we need is about as far from Trek as it gets.

Capt: "You've been doing an outstanding job, Shi'it. I'm giving you top marks for your review. I especially like that you're doing so well in Assault Weapons training."
Doff: "Thank you, sir. The other officers are calling me Tough Shi'it now."
Capt: "Sure, whatever. Anyway, I'm transferring you off the ship."
Doff: "Sir?"
Capt: "I need sensor officers for the starbase. By putting you back in the officer pool I might get one."
Doff: "So...you're not even giving me an assignment?"
Capt: "Nope. There's no noob lottery for reassigning you, just for cutting you loose."
Doff: "..."
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
Lieutenant
# 24
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
It is? OP specifically questioned decisions regarding DOffs and Fleet Starbases. My responses deal with issues involving both of those things, and that the playerbases has been angry about. I'm dead on topic.

And, as to my argument being "flawed". The devs trying to make their creation work as intended doesn't mean it lacks flaws, just that there's a way they want it to work, so they're trying to make it work that way. The implication wasn't that it was perfect, just that it was what they wanted.
The intended use of doffs is to make them useful, the latest change has made them useless. Seems like a giant step in the wrong direction.
Banned
# 25
08-23-2012, 02:48 PM
This thread wasn't specifically about any change, but if you notice, every change Cryptic has made has been completely against the will of the majority. Does anyone a Cryptic notice this? How can they not? I wonder if they truly think they are creating a sustainable product here? Or do they think that they know what we want better than we do? How could it possibly hurt them to listen to us?
Captain
# 26
08-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Read the Rules of Aquisition my friend. They're all about profit. A company is in the end out to make money. If it means losing people for more profit, they'll do it. And considering this is a Star Trek game, maybe the employee handbook is the rules of Aquisition?
If the gruesome twosome read the RoA, they're doing it wrong.

Watering down drinks only works if they come back for more.

But that's a lowly way of making a buck.

The real money is in having an inventory of bajoran distilled Kanar when its not kosher to have.

*Ferengi lobepalm*
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Banned
# 27
08-23-2012, 02:49 PM
That's my biggest issue - this is meant to be a feedback forum - are they listening to us, or just shrugging us off?
Banned
# 28
08-23-2012, 02:51 PM
all we ask for is some sanity, give the people what we want and we will dish out the cash, I am not going to buy another Zen until i can spend it on some new KDF stuff, and I know a lot of other players with the same mentality
Lieutenant
# 29
08-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Probably because the player base keeps asking for things that break the intended rate of starbase progression, like the broken marks on Nukara that got fixed, or the DOffs from starbases being reused in them. For some reason people get mad when these problems get fixed.

I do really wish they'd mark fleet DOffs somehow, though, as the potential to buy a DOff you can't even use in starbases off the exchange is indeed a painfully aggravating thing.
You can't really break the rate of progression its time gated.
Career Officer
We just tested a theory... I can post fleet officers for sale on the exchange and the person that buys them can't use them either. So a deflector officer earned from the fleet doff program can't be used even though its in the list with other deflector officers. Unless they have different names (and I don't know if that's even the case) and you know the names you're going to get screwed. I don't know how they can tell them apart and at the very least we should be informed so we can understand when a project comes up what we have and what we don't have. I had all my officers ready for my three projects on my private fleet today only to find out I can't use them. I did however sell some of them and maybe when people get upset for wasting energy credits they will change it. Major screw up Cryptic!