Career Officer
# 21
08-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
Oh Noes!

By the time of TNG, the Federation no longer enslaved animals for food purposes ("Lonely Among Us"), so I doubt they would wear their hides. That's more of a Klingon thing...
I'm pretty sure anything leather worn by FEDs(They do wear 'leather' boots in every incarnation except ST TMP) just looks like leather since it's in all likelihood replicated.

Joined August 2009
Community Moderator
# 22
08-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I've got to confess, some of the uniform variations I see in-game make little or no sense to me.

While it is true that some military types have probably had custom-tailored "uniforms" over the years, there should still be some common elements with "normal" uniforms.

The color variations are especially wild in many cases. (Why on earth is any shade of green even on the uniform palette?)

About all I can do is think to myself that different units/divisions/etc. might have different uniform standards, much like the differences between Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marines. While Cryptic could have standardized those differences somehow, they leave it open for people to interpret it in any way they want to. I suppose that's not all bad, even though it's a bit hard to see some of these outfits and think "Starfleet".

To the point of the original post, it's mighty tempting to see the default uniform as the "official" one, and many of the NPC's appear in it. I do not see NPC's running around in any of the non-standard outfits (No TOS, ENT, TMP, TNG, etc)
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 23
08-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusofborg View Post
I'm pretty sure anything leather worn by FEDs(They do wear 'leather' boots in every incarnation except ST TMP) just looks like leather since it's in all likelihood replicated.
Faux leather, or vinyl, or maybe something we haven't even thought of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Career Officer
# 24
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
I think the best answer at your question is:

EyePatch+Scarf+Jupiter4Shirt+DiplomatPants+PaddedB oots.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwapook View Post
Sooo that might explain why a lot of the federation personal wear similiar uniforms on starbases, they might be the ones designated to deal with civilian inquiries. Disciplne and proffessionalism are instilled in them with training. They're unified by their ideals.

That argument has played in my head before.. Federation officials, back and forth, debating the positives and negatives of both sides.. The federation, with an open mind, finally come to the decision to go forward with the uniform policy change. Especially due to observing all of the positive benefits one of the aliens races had undergone existing with such policies in their own world.

I was very irrated about not having standard uniforms too, but I moved on.. I'd prefer there be a standard uniform but I don't see that happening..
I agree. With all the rest of the silliness, that Cryptic has excreted into the Star Trek license, it seems rather vapid, and petty, to be hung up on the uniform thing.
Captain
# 26
08-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Sierra 1
And the SF Academy and Vice Admiral variants.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 27
08-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Clearly, the official Starfleet uniform of 2409 is Captain's Discretion. I submit the entire game as evidence of that. Frankly, I'm pleased with that game design concept.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Captain
# 28
08-26-2012, 07:02 AM
I didn't like the ones you started off with. Soon as I could I did a new uniform. They just didn't do for me on looks. So I went with the "First Contact" uniform. Until I got my Season 1 TNG set.

However only thing I kept from the original looks, was the skirt offering for the ladies. I did use those in various colors to match their department.
Career Officer
# 29
08-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Check the Games Home Page: http://sto.perfectworld.com/

That Tactical Officer is clearly wearing Sierra #1. I think that should answer your question.
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
What about the people who wear older cannon uniforms? I, along with all of my boffs, wear the Wrath of Khan uniform as it's always been my favorite. I like the idea of having each crew having it's own uniform set like in TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
The color variations are especially wild in many cases. (Why on earth is any shade of green even on the uniform palette?)
As for the color palette, older uniforms had different colors. Instead of only having red, blue and gold, the WoK uniforms had white, green, gold, grey and orange (among a few others). While my bridge crew looks quite nice with these uniforms I wish there was a way to change the uniforms for each department for the rest of my crew...