Captain
I can't fathom why anyone else would spend real money on buying Zen to convert to dilth unless you have so much money you use it to light your fireplace in yout 20 bedroom mansion.

Looking at the falling prices on the exchange soon you will only get 100 dilth for each Zen point.
Commander
# 2
08-25-2012, 07:09 AM
That has more to do with the starbases than anything else. Dilithium's value has risen since the starbases were released, causing the in-game value of zen to drop. Plus you can only refine 8,000 dilithium a day per character (I think lifers get some extra?), so people use extra zen they have on their account to buy some more for starbase projects, ships, ev suits, etc.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Commander
# 3
08-25-2012, 07:17 AM
yup if you not like it say thx to starbases and tonns of smalls clans/fleets.

i think its posible that the zen price will fall to 1:50 or lower
Captain
# 4
08-25-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't buy zen to sell for dilithium, I buy it to spend it in the c store. And I will rejoice when it hits 100 per zen, because that's 80 zen per day from my dilithium refining, per character.

But it was the SBs that made prices fall. And fall. And fall. The special projects need 200,000 dilithium each, which means people are just going to lquidate their zen for easy dilithium. And yes, there are people who will spend a LOT on this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Captain
# 5
08-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Most MMos cost $15.00 a month to Subscribe to. STO is free, so spending $15.00 to buy Zen, no matter what you do with the Zen, is no different then paying a Subscription fee in many people's eyes.

Plus many of us where here when you HAD to pay $15.00 to Subscribe and you could still spend $10-$25.00 a month in the C-Store each month. Prior to FTP, and the Dilithium Exchange, I'm sure I averaged more then $30.00 a month on STO.

And even beyond all of the above, so what? This is someone's hobby. If someone wants to blow $30.00 on Zen, that's there business. Just taking my family to the Movie Theater once every 2 weeks costs me $100.00 a month. One round of golf generally costs me $75.00. People do with their money what they want to do with it - that's why they spend all that time earning it.

Edit: And as far as the Dilithium Exchange, we're not even at the game's official low point for the Exchange yet.

Last edited by thecosmic1; 08-25-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Captain
# 6
08-25-2012, 07:24 AM
thecosmic1, what was the lowest? I would be very interested to see when we hit the low record for the D exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Most MMos cost $15.00 a month to Subscribe to. STO is free, so spending $15.00 to buy Zen, no matter what you do with the Zen, is no different then paying a Subscription fee in many people's eyes.
^^This

What people do with their money is their business. I can afford to buy some zen every now and then without impacting my daily needs (bills/food/fuel etc etc) and I don't see why that should be any one elses concern.

You don't need to be a millionare to be able to budget effectivly and know what you can afford to waste money on.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Captain
# 8
08-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
thecosmic1, what was the lowest? I would be very interested to see when we hit the low record for the D exchange.
The day of launch it was 120 Dilithium to 1 Cryptic Point - and we need to take into account that 1 Zen is only 80% of 1 Cryptic Point. So dollar-for-dollar, it would have been 100 Dilithium to 1 Zen. Of course it's been over 400 as well, but it's a player-driven market.

And as someone who grinds over 17,000 Dilithium per day, the lower it goes the more I like it.
Captain
# 9
08-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post

Plus many of us where here when you HAD to pay $15.00 to Subscribe and you could still spend $10-$25.00 a month in the C-Store each month. Prior to FTP, and the Dilithium Exchange, I'm sure I averaged more then $30.00 a month on STO.

And even beyond all of the above, so what? This is someone's hobby. If someone wants to blow $30.00 on Zen, that's there business. Just taking my family to the Movie Theater once every 2 weeks costs me $100.00 a month. One round of golf generally costs me $75.00. People do with their money what they want to do with it - that's why they spend all that time earning it.

Edit: And as far as the Dilithium Exchange, we're not even at the game's official low point for the Exchange yet.
Its funny I explained the starbase thing - in simple terms to a mildly retarded person(IQ in the 80's) who I work with at a volunteer job

After explaining that a lot of people are spending tons of money for ships that are only 10% better than current ships(or a tiny bit as explained) and tons of time as well - and that for 90%(most) of these people the ships will make no real difference in their ability to fight in PvE(or the bad guys) and that within 6 months there will be ships coming out better than those that they could get without all the work(via the Zen Store) and they could get several of these new ships with the money they spent for the price of 1 starbase ship

His response "are they stupid?"

My response - "some are, some are bored and have nothing better to do(apparently I am one of those - athought I have the monthly sub from the sale - I would not spend another dime buying dilth) and then there could be lots who are being bullied into contributing dilth(the pink/purple rocks) in their fleets"

Last edited by levi3; 08-25-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Captain
# 10
08-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Its funny I explained the starbase thing - in simple terms to a mildly retarded person(IQ in the 80's) who I work with at a volunteer job

After explaining that a lot of people are spending tons of money for ships that are only 10% better than current ships(or a tiny bit as explained) and tons of time as well - and that for 90%(most) of these people the ships will make no real difference in their ability to fight in PvE(or the bad guys) and that within 6 months there will be ships coming out better than those that they could get without all the work(via the Zen Store) and they could get several of these new ships with the money they spent for the price of 1 starbase ship

His response "are they stupid?"

My response - "some are, some are bored and have nothing better to do(apparently I am one of those - athought I have the monthly sub from the sale - I would not spend another dime buying dilth) and then there could be lots who are being bullied into contributing dilth(the pink/purple rocks) in their fleets"
Why does someone buy a Blue Ray over a DvD even though it's only 10% better? Why does someone buy a 6870 card over a 6850 card when it's only 10% better? Why does someone buy Premium gasoline over regular gasoline when it's not even 10% better?

They do so because they want to. And that extends to everything in our lives. We go to the grocery store and we're presented 6 different Ketchups, some cheaper, some more expensive. We buy what we want.

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that there are people who are willing to pay for that 10% bonus in STO just like they are at Target, Jewel, Ford, Wal-mart, and everywhere else we buy things?