Captain
# 11
08-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Why does someone buy a Blue Ray over a DvD even though it's only 10% better? Why does someone buy a 6870 card over a 6850 card when it's only 10% better? Why does someone buy Premium gasoline over regular gasoline when it's not even 10% better?

They do so because they want to. And that extends to everything in our lives. We go to the grocery store and we're presented 6 different Ketchups, some cheaper, some more expensive. We buy what we want.

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that there are people who are willing to pay for that 10% bonus in STO just like they are at Target, Jewel, Ford, Wal-mart, and everywhere else we buy things?
How would you classify this type of Human behaviour? Of course in most of the examples you have something tangible to wrap your hand/mind around.

Here you don't even Own "that" ship or the starbase
Captain
# 12
08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
How would you classify this type of Human behaviour? Of course in most of the examples you have something tangible to wrap your hand/mind around.

Here you don't even Own "that" ship or the starbase
We live in a society that's increasingly becoming less about tangible goods. We buy MP3 music, digital books, digital movie downloads, etc. Technically we don't "own" any of that. We buy it for convenience. Welcome to the 21st Century.
Captain
# 13
08-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
We live in a society that's increasingly becoming less about tangible goods. We buy MP3 music, digital books, digital movie downloads, etc. Technically we don't "own" any of that. We buy it for convenience. Welcome to the 21st Century.
You are certainly right about that - luckliy at the rate we are going the "society" we will be left with over the next 20-30 years will more resemble that of the dark ages for most - all for their convenience.
Captain
# 14
08-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
You are certainly right about that - luckliy at the rate we are going the "society" we will be left with over the next 20-30 years will more resemble that of the dark ages for most - all for their convenience.
Time to get back on those anti-depressants. Life is not terrible, our future is not bleak, etc, etc, etc.

Life is always about change, and this is actually a very cool era to live in. I remember having a black and white television growing up - and you had to get up and to change the channel. Now I can stream movies onto my iPad and watch them anywhere. My iPhone and iPad have more APs and capability then my first 5 computers, combined.
Captain
# 15
08-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Instead of disparaging these people, be thankful to them for spending the money, it's because of them you have this game to play.
There are few if any hobbies that don't require financial support and all in all it's a worthy investment, there are many games out there that cost more and offer less.

And to the ones likely to say the game isn't worth spending any money on, stuff it, put your actions where your mouth is and go play a different game.
Empire Veteran
# 16
08-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
^^This

What people do with their money is their business. I can afford to buy some zen every now and then without impacting my daily needs (bills/food/fuel etc etc) and I don't see why that should be any one elses concern.

You don't need to be a millionare to be able to budget effectivly and know what you can afford to waste money on.
I also agree with what Cosmic is saying.

I don't make a lot of money in the real world, I don't have large amounts of dough to freely toss at this game.

I also don't have heaps of time to constantly grind dilithium. I play the game a lot, but I don't feel it necessary to do that heavily.

I DO however budget myself. I buy mostly what I need, when I need it, and still manage to pay for a monthly subscription to this game. On top of that, I've been saving money (what an alien concept, eh?), to pay for a lifetime subscription, which may happen soon at that.

Besides all that, even with the lesser amount I make, I can still generally afford to shell out some extra cash once in awhile, buy a whole bunch of Zen, and be happy.

Now, if I WAS a millionaire, I wouldn't be spending a lot on this game...Ok, maybe I would.

But, I would probably be looking more to BUY this game than anything else.

Lieutenant
# 17
08-25-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm glad the price for Zen is dropping, I abandoned the idea of contributing to the big con that is the starbase and use my dilithium for Zen instead of stupid tribbles, windows and potted plants.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Looking at the falling prices on the exchange soon you will only get 100 dilth for each Zen point.
Hey, fellow peasants! Over here!
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
I can't fathom why anyone else would spend real money on buying Zen to convert to dilth unless you have so much money you use it to light your fireplace in yout 20 bedroom mansion.

Looking at the falling prices on the exchange soon you will only get 100 dilth for each Zen point.
Mate I work like alot of people now I can easy spend $100- $200 at the pub in one night.

So for entertainment value STO is very cheap and I don't get a hangover the next day lol.

I calculate how much I'm willing to spend on a game on how many hrs I get out of it and seriously STO is in the cents per hr and I don't mind paying a few cents to play a game I enjoy.

And just another small point none of us actually play STO for free as we all have an isp we have to pay to play online in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Man levi3 really got me thinking...

I bought a baseball ticket for tonight, but I will only get to watch the game... I won't get to play it, and as the biggest kick in the junk, I won't even get to bring the team home with me when I'm done.

Freakin' society is going right down the wide pipe, if you know what I mean.