Ensign
# 1 Are these okay?
08-26-2012, 11:23 AM
First of all, hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm really enjoying the game

But I have a little dilemma I need some feedback on. I just recently became able to do the daily mission called "Investigate Officer Reports". Someone suggested that I search the missions by "hot" and then just do the ones that show up at the top of the search, which only involve clicking one a wall or something.

I dont want to get in any trouble for exploiting, so I was wondering are these kinds of missions okay to do? What do the devs think of them? Thanks for your help!
Captain
# 2
08-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Hello and welcome!

The Devs have no issues with anyone doing any of the Foundry Missions. If you're looking for some good stories I'd suggest you start by doing the Spotlight Mission choices that Cryptic posts on its website here: http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fo...ndry-spotlight

Those are generally considered good choices by Cryptic.
Community Moderator
# 3
08-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecutestofborg View Post
First of all, hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm really enjoying the game

But I have a little dilemma I need some feedback on. I just recently became able to do the daily mission called "Investigate Officer Reports". Someone suggested that I search the missions by "hot" and then just do the ones that show up at the top of the search, which only involve clicking one a wall or something.

I dont want to get in any trouble for exploiting, so I was wondering are these kinds of missions okay to do? What do the devs think of them? Thanks for your help!
There was a time Cryptic said 'no' but that was when Foundry was first launched - nowadays they seem far more relaxed.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Lieutenant
# 4
08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The Devs have no issues with anyone doing any of the Foundry Missions.
False. We have been told to report exploit missions:

Quote:
We want the Foundry to be used for users to create missions. Set a scenario, create the world anew for yourself. The tool was not created to allow players to level up easier, to have a quicker way to gather Accolades, or similar. If your mission sets this as a goal in any form, we may take action. Please do not create missions that are geared towards boosting of any kind.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...6&postcount=68

While it is true that they do not enforce their own policy, they have never made any statement retracting it.

Last edited by sl1ckm1ster; 08-26-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Rihannsu
# 5
08-26-2012, 11:29 AM
You can do any foundry missions you want. Dailies by Nagus(author) are fun and quickly, so you can check them out. There are also very good missions which you could play for you pleasure, instead of grinding.)
Community Moderator
# 6
08-26-2012, 11:30 AM
(Reminder; I don't speak for Cryptic, like the signature says)

Cryptic won't do anything to YOU for doing a mission that's exploitative; they'll do something to the author of that mission.

You can report the mission when you drop it, or you can silently go through and do it and then move on to the next one.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Rihannsu
# 7
They are considered exploits and the people who make them have in the past had them removed.

i find it highly unlikely you would get in trouble for playing one as you have not done anything wrong yourself but to be 100% safe and fair its best to avoid them. if you want a short mission for the daily there are several quick ones. the nagus dailies are often quick without being exploits.

although these hardly do the foundry justice. there are some amazing stories out there and while some can be long they are worth playing.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ckm1ster View Post
False. We have been told to report exploit missions:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...6&postcount=68

While it is true that they do not enforce their own policy, they have never made any statement retracting it.
And, over a year later from that post, as Tobar posted, Cryptic doesn't seem to have much of an issue with it. There are even Dev posts on Twitter about some of the exploit Missions the Devs run just for the heck of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
08-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
There was a time Cryptic said 'no' but that was when Foundry was first launched - nowadays they seem far more relaxed.
That's disappointing. Because these are exploit missions, abusing the Foundry system.

Maybe their Laissez-faire approach is that they are working on system that prevents exploit missions. I seem to recall something mentioned recently of rewards being time measured, the longer you are in a mission, the greater the reward. So with these exploit missions being completed instantly, the reward would be 0.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Lieutenant
# 10
08-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
And, over a year later from that post, as Tobar posted, Cryptic doesn't seem to have much of an issue with it. There are even Dev posts on Twitter about some of the exploit Missions the Devs run just for the heck of it.
As I said: