Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 780
# 1 Most useless Powers of STO
08-26-2012, 03:59 AM
In conjunction with This thread about the Ugilest Ships in STO, I decide to make a new pointless thread.

What is the Most Useless power/ability in STO?

My vote is Mask Energy Signature.. Complete waste of a boff slot for a half ass cloak that a half blind escort can see.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 934
# 2
08-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Mask energy isnt all that useless if you are willing to use it in a wierd way.. ^^

Having MES III on a science ship was my way of 'decloaking' in ker'ret near a BoP to feed him lots of sci-heavy carnage.

To get this effect you have to have multiplie sci boffs ^^, have aux pretty high, and change your MESIII boff for a more aggresive boff when you are ready :p

Surprise with a target engine/shield, tyken rift, tractor beam, (subnuke if necessary) and photon shockwave them ^^ (but then again now since PSIII got neutered... meh)

Of course this is best used on inexperianced KDF players, but still fun to play with

edit: forgot to add my personal 'pointless skill'

Ground:
Draw Fire
'I am a smooshy tactical captain, target me please!' ah.. i died, how unexpected :p

Space:
Dispersal Alpha
(fairly sure dispersal pattern alpha is a bit of a flop compared to beta, ill have to go with that)
That or abandon ship,

Last edited by elandarksky; 08-26-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 578
# 3
08-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Ground: Sweeping Strikes. We can already melee, dammit!
Space: Photonic Fleet. Nothing but fake ships.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 4
08-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Abandon Ship for sure. I don't think I've ever used it or even wanted to use it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 162
# 5
08-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
Ground:
Draw Fire
'I am a smooshy tactical captain, target me please!' ah.. i died, how unexpected :p
There's a reason tacs wear red.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,998
# 6
08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Photonic Fleet is nice to get a little bit of extra DPS, and to screw with carriers. Abandon ship is a good "I'M TAKING YOU WITH ME PUNK!!!" ability (keybinds help with this one).

Beam Overload however, has no... practical... use... at... all.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 541
# 7
08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Beam Overload however, has no... practical... use... at... all.
I beg to differ. Just use it right before your target's shields go down. With any luck the beam will impact the hull.

That mask energy signature thing (also called the "poor man's cloak") is almost useless to me. About the only time it worked for me was in that one mission where I had to scan a mineral amidst a lot of enemies. Got the scan done as it went down and got blown up soon afterwards...
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 8
08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Photonic Fleet is nice to get a little bit of extra DPS, and to screw with carriers. Abandon ship is a good "I'M TAKING YOU WITH ME PUNK!!!" ability (keybinds help with this one).

Beam Overload however, has no... practical... use... at... all.
Not sure if serious....

Beam Overload III combined with Purple Dual Beam Array is like having the Death Star laser. I can normally take out a shield facing or do 15K in hull damage without critting.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,998
# 9
08-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akalayus View Post
Beam Overload III combined with Purple Dual Beam Array is like having the Death Star laser. I can normally take out a shield facing or do 15K in hull damage without critting.
I had forgotten about those. Most ships don't use dual beam arrays anyway. With beam banks it is very useless.

Back on topic... Emergency Power to Engines is not that great, Auxiliary to Dampeners+ Evasive Manoeuvres does much better.

Boarding Party is really cool, but there are so many counters to it is not worth it.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 780
# 10
08-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
I beg to differ. Just use it right before your target's shields go down. With any luck the beam will impact the hull.

That mask energy signature thing (also called the "poor man's cloak") is almost useless to me. About the only time it worked for me was in that one mission where I had to scan a mineral amidst a lot of enemies. Got the scan done as it went down and got blown up soon afterwards...
I'm the same way. i have BO2 and I use it as an opening move. I can chew through a lot of shielding with it.

And I love my Photonic fleet, even if it is just in the "OH!!! DISTRACTION!" sense I tend to save it up until I get to 50% health, then I throw down my Fleet support, Photonic Fleet, and then I high tail it out of there. Distracts some players, they have to play shell game with the ships, and it scares the crap out of noobs in kerrat
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 AM.