Lieutenant
# 61
08-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjumetley View Post
IF the Ambassador class makes into the game I hope there will be an option to set a skin based on Probert design.
Hell, I'm still waiting for the Probert design for the Galaxy Class!
(Why, oh why does every game that features the Galaxy base the ingame model on the ugly four foot model?! *shakes head*)

The Probert version will probably be a C-Store variant. It's console should summon a Tactical hologram of Tasha Yar. Like a beefed up version of Tactical Team that cools down for five minutes afterwards...

...Or prank calls Sela whenever activated. I'd pay for either, really.
Commander
# 62 ?
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Did you mean Probert's design for the Ambassador Class...or perhaps Probert designed a Galaxy variant too?
Lieutenant
# 63
08-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon92518 View Post
Did you mean Probert's design for the Ambassador Class...or perhaps Probert designed a Galaxy variant too?
Probert is the one who designed the Galaxy class for The Next Generation.

I meant that the STO version of the Galaxy is based around the far less good looking 4-foot filming model of the Galaxy-Class, which looks a world different from the 6-footer they used in the early seasons. That model was far more closely based upon Probert's concept art, and looked significantly sleeker and more advanced.

Come season 4 of TNG they traded the 6 footer's looks for the 4 footer's practicality, as the smaller model was easier to film. However, when viewed next to the 6 footer the differences are striking. They actually went back to using the 6 footer for Star Trek: Generations, as it was far better looking and actually translated to the big screen incredibly well.
(Go to trekcore and look at the TNG season 1 blueray screencaps and you'll see what I mean.)

The joke is (well, was) that people are wishing more for the sleeker, better looking Ambassador concept that Probert had sketched, rather than the more practical design they went with for the filming model seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise" and onward. And that we Galaxy fans have been waiting for the same thing for a long time.

Last edited by alchemistid; 08-26-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Career Officer
# 64
08-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistid View Post
Probert is the one who designed the Galaxy class for The Next Generation.

I meant that the STO version of the Galaxy is based around the far less good looking 4-foot filming model of the Galaxy-Class, which looks a world different from the 6-footer they used in the early seasons. That model was far more closely based upon Probert's concept art, and looked significantly sleeker and more advanced.

Come season 4 of TNG they traded the 6 footer's looks for the 4 footer's practicality, as the smaller model was easier to film. However, when viewed next to the 6 footer the differences are striking. They actually went back to using the 6 footer for Star Trek: Generations, as it was far better looking and actually translated to the big screen incredibly well.
(Go to trekcore and look at the TNG season 1 blueray screencaps and you'll see what I mean.)

The joke is (well, was) that people are wishing more for the sleeker, better looking Ambassador concept that Probert had sketched, rather than the more practical design they went with for the filming model seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise" and onward. And that we Galaxy fans have been waiting for the same thing for a long time.
Some of us would be quite, quite happy with the Ambassador as it appeared onscreen.
Username: PodSix
Fleet: None
Commander
# 65
08-27-2012, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistid View Post
I would prefer the Ambassador Class used in TNG. I like that version most. The Probert sketching is cool, and might make for a nice mirror universe ship, or a skin for the TNG Ambassador.

In looking over the two Galaxy models, I can't tell much of a difference between them. But, it could be because I'm biased and just never liked how the Galaxy Class looked eg. (egg shaped/oval over-sized saucer) and a "crushed" hull area. There's a lot of people who love the Galaxy, so there are probably more visible details between the 6 ft and 4 ft models than I am able to notice. At least there's a ton of Galaxy variants to choose from in-game.........Meanwhile I still patiently wait for the Ambassador to no avail ..
Captain
# 66
08-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Everyone keep a stiff upper lip. Dstahl confirmed both an Ambassador and Wells back in July - and we've already seen the Wells leak on the Spawn Database. The Ambassador is coming.
Commander
# 67
08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Everyone keep a stiff upper lip. Dstahl confirmed both an Ambassador and Wells back in July - and we've already seen the Wells leak on the Spawn Database. The Ambassador is coming.
Maybe it is, but we have been asking and waiting since BETA to see this ship make it to the game and a lot of ships that we didn?t ask for since BETA have been added. So? why the hatred for the Ambassador Class? It was an Enterprise! It should be added to the game for no further reason.

BTW, As it appeared on Screen is the way I want it in game. Other options are cool, but in the very least, as it was on screen.
Captain
# 68
08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
"Why" doesn't really matter to me. What matters is that it gets here. Gecko talked about it in a podcast in June, and Dstahl mentioned it in July, so it's coming.
Commander
# 69
08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
"Why" doesn't really matter to me. What matters is that it gets here. Gecko talked about it in a podcast in June, and Dstahl mentioned it in July, so it's coming.
LOL, well, well, well... how about this... Who talked about it doesn't matter to me, what matters is when will it get here!

Yeah, I've been following along as well. I just don't like how quickly they added ships that were more recently requested when this one has been requested since beta. thats all, a personal opinion.
Commander
# 70
08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Ambassador, Niagara, New Orleans, (Picard's USS Stargazer)...Constellation Class?, Springfield. Any of those would surely be a welcome addition!....but notably the Ambassador FIRST

Even new Klingon ships would be a welcome addition. Would give me a reason to play my KDF toon.
Closed Thread