Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,351
# 21
08-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by studleydoo View Post
Thanks for all your comments. But I'd like a little more explanation why some thinks an Excelsior retrofit or an Oddysey is better. .
The Excelsior (atm) is better because, console for console, you can have a better turn rate, same hull, same shields, and same console slots with the same setup. The Ensign Tactical isn't that great. On an Excelsior, I can run one less RCS and still have a slightly better turn rate than the Regent, and give the extra engineer console to be armor (or what have you). The Regent isn't a bad ship, the Excelsior just tops it.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,351
# 22
08-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by studleydoo View Post
Its funny what you say about the turn rate. I've been noticing the slower turn rate as well. I thought it was just me. However it wasn't as slow in the beginning. Perhaps it was just a lag in the server. I notice it from time to time....also in the past with my original sovereign.

And I whole-heartedly agree with you, I hope we can get the fleet sovereign for both versions too.
Same here. I just thought it was me as well. Hopefully Cryptic will look into this turn rate issue .
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,351
# 23
08-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post

I don't PvP, so I wouldn't know. I'm sorry that you feel that PvPers are obliged to use science, which makes the Regent less attractive, but them's the breaks, right? The worst you could do is not buy it, I guess.
I would bypass science boffs if it werent for pvp debuffs. The debuffs that people are throwing out to disable players are best handled by skills like hazard emitters, science team, etc. As far as not buying the ship, I have bought it, I do like it, its just designed a little less effective than it shouldve been.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
# 24
08-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
The Excelsior (atm) is better because, console for console, you can have a better turn rate, same hull, same shields, and same console slots with the same setup. The Ensign Tactical isn't that great. On an Excelsior, I can run one less RCS and still have a slightly better turn rate than the Regent, and give the extra engineer console to be armor (or what have you). The Regent isn't a bad ship, the Excelsior just tops it.
Perhaps for certain builds which depend on turn rate such as cannons, however, for certain builds such as beam boats which do not depend on turn rate as much, it may not be a big factor. Also with the wide angle Quantum torpedoes, it negates the advantage of better turn rate substantially. Also Ensign Tactical is actually pretty good and I feel offers more variety than a Ensign Engineer. You can stick an extra Tactical Team which help with tanking with a offensive boost, or a Fire at Will 1 or any of torpedo skills (HYT1 or TS1), Beam Overload 1...while for Ensign Engineering, you can put Emergency Power skills or Engineer Team...not as much variety.

I've tried both ships...both very good ships...I love the turn rate on the Excelsior but I feel the Sovereign refit if setup right is the heavier hitter...as it should be.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 728
# 25
08-26-2012, 12:01 PM
In all honesty, the Regent's BOff layout is what should have been on the Dreadnought, as the Dread should have been THE Tactical Cruiser, not to mention the 4 Tac Slots could have made much better use of the Dread's ability to equip Cannons.

That said, the Regent is a supremely nice Cruiser, and it even feels a bit more nimble then the Sovereign.

The Wide Angle Torp gives broadsiders a nice kinetic punch to unshielded enemies while keeping the energy weapons pouring on.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,351
# 26
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by studleydoo View Post
Perhaps for certain builds which depend on turn rate such as cannons, however, for certain builds such as beam boats which do not depend on turn rate as much, it may not be a big factor. Also with the wide angle Quantum torpedoes, it negates the advantage of better turn rate substantially. Also Ensign Tactical is actually pretty good and I feel offers more variety than a Ensign Engineer. You can stick an extra Tactical Team which help with tanking with a offensive boost, or a Fire at Will 1 or any of torpedo skills (HYT1 or TS1), Beam Overload 1...while for Ensign Engineering, you can put Emergency Power skills or Engineer Team...not as much variety.

I've tried both ships...both very good ships...I love the turn rate on the Excelsior but I feel the Sovereign refit if setup right is the heavier hitter...as it should be.
The turn rate isn't just for weapons, but for shields as well. The Excelsior can turn to give a stronger shield to the enemy, improving its survivability. Also, auxiliary to inertial dampers is an Ensign Engineer ability, and works very well (plus acts as a resist to photonic shockwave and a few others).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 PM.