Lt. Commander
# 11
08-07-2012, 05:05 AM
The Fleet Exploration Cruiser was the perfect chance to really overhaul a ship that was, aside from being terribly bland, had one of the most redundant and restrictive boff layouts going. By adopting the Reverse-Nebula suggestion, it would've been no bigger change from the original Galaxy than the Fleet Vor'Cha, Fleet Corsair and proposed then withdrawn Fleet Sovreign for example. It'd have also made it a really interesting option that people'd likely consider plonking down four fleet modules for, rather than remaining as the ship only somebody who is desperate for a Galaxy that looks like a Galaxy would buy. And I don't see why those folks wouldn't just stop at the Galaxy R to be honest.

Cryptic have probably hurt themselves financially by making the Fleet G-R as rubbish as the regular G-R, I don't know if it's an oversight or if somebody's deciding "what's cool enough to deserve to be good" based on their own bias, and screw the wider player base that probably disagrees.

Interestingly, these are all issues that were brought up on tribble. And inspite of being asked for feedback, we were given none ourselves. On the plus side, as nobody has one yet, there's no reason it can't still be done. No good reason that is.
Captain
# 12
08-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Main problem is, some devs have hard time admitting they are wrong and problem with listening to player feedback. There is nothing worse than a stubborn spreadsheet dev that has no idea about practical use of various ship layouts or correlation between stats like HPS and turn rate.
Empire Veteran
# 13
08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
What grinds my gears about this is the Negh'var.
It had the same exact boff station layout as the Gal-R.

What did it's fleet version get? A uni ensign station.

It's like they didn't make the Gal-R ens station a uni, intentionally, JUST to make people mad.
-------------------------
It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
Lieutenant
# 14
08-25-2012, 07:45 PM
I dont get everyone.....

Its a slight upgrade from the old one...

Its got more hull, better shield mod, and more engineering slots.

What do you want..more tacs console slots? useless eng slot (like u need another TAC team)?

This ship is a hull tanking ship. It has more hull than the odessy. You cant make this ship dps...you cant make this ship sciencey....

Not trying to offend..so please dont take it that way...

This is an engineers ship. You get threat with your beams...u hold aggro on the cube...

I wouldnt pvp with this ship.b.ut pvp sucks right now (come on season 7 thru 9). If you build this right you will be pretty good tank.
Captain
# 15
08-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtciscoinsa View Post
I dont get everyone.....

Its a slight upgrade from the old one...

Its got more hull, better shield mod, and more engineering slots.

What do you want..more tacs console slots? useless eng slot (like u need another TAC team)?

This ship is a hull tanking ship. It has more hull than the odessy. You cant make this ship dps...you cant make this ship sciencey....

Not trying to offend..so please dont take it that way...

This is an engineers ship. You get threat with your beams...u hold aggro on the cube...

I wouldnt pvp with this ship.b.ut pvp sucks right now (come on season 7 thru 9). If you build this right you will be pretty good tank.

I'm not gonna reroll all of the negative aspects the fleet galaxy-R has when compared to the oddy star cruiser for instance.
but i want to point you at doznes of other threads that exactly explain why the galaxy R is the worst choice for tanking in this game...the fleet version didn't change that fact.

If you see the galaxy R or it's fleet version as your first choice for tanking or whatever, then please do so...

(almost) anybody that does some serious thinking before buying/using a ship will agree that it is the worst choice among all t5 cruisers for tanking.

and it was a slap in the face for some galaxy R fans, to see the fleet negh'var getting the universal ensign, while the fleet galaxy-r didn't.

and yes..1500 HP more mean actually nothing...close to worthless improvement.
Go pro or go home
Lieutenant
# 16
08-27-2012, 08:00 AM
ok ok.....I can see your point....

But playing other MMOs I can say there is the community way of doing things and then the developer have another vision..

The question is what is the Galaxy Rs mission? When they made this ship what was its niche...whats makes it a Galaxy R and how the programmers vision on its role in STFs?

Its not an oddessy....ok...so what is it? I just dont believe that its trash..its got to be able to do something well.
Career Officer
# 17
08-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
ok ok.....I can see your point....

But playing other MMOs I can say there is the community way of doing things and then the developer have another vision..

The question is what is the Galaxy Rs mission? When they made this ship what was its niche...whats makes it a Galaxy R and how the programmers vision on its role in STFs?

Its not an oddessy....ok...so what is it? I just dont believe that its trash..its got to be able to do something well.
Problem is, there never ever was any comment from devs in any of the numerous Galaxy threats, so we don't know their intentions or visions or even if the sad facts about the Galaxy are known in Devland.

Comparing the Fleet Galaxy to other fed ships (except the Ops Odyssey) she has 2 things in her favor: slightly more hull and a fifth engineering console. This in theory would mean better hull tanking abilities (more hull, more armor). Hull tanking in general is a bad idea compared to shield tanking, those additional hull points mean nothing and personally I would take the 4 sci consoles of a Star Cruiser over 5 engineering consoles. Maybe the vision is for her to be more tanky, but actual gameplay shows, she is not.

All this is about the Fleet Galaxy, the normal Gal-R doesn't have these 2 benefits. She only has Saucer Separation, which makes you more agile but will reduce your tankiness. Quite counterproductive to something that is maybe only supposed to be a tank. She is not trash, all of this doesn't really matter for PvE and it's not that she'll explode right away as soon as somebody is shooting her in PvP, but every other cruiser that is not designed as a tactical cruiser, simply has a higher potential to be a healer/tank.

P.S.
Quote:
The question is what is the Galaxy Rs mission?
An additional thought. Canonicaly spoken the Galaxy was a multi-role vessel that should be able to fulfill the needs of nearly every possoible mission type, that could be configured and refited easily. In STOs language this would mean universal slots (see Nebula, same concept). Not all, but at least an ensign or lieutenant universal. What Cyptic made of a ship with extremely high adaptability was a ship with one, if not the, most limiting station setups.
-----------------------
decker999

Last edited by decker03; 08-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.