Captain
# 31
08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzsth View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost

Ask anyone who sets up a ship correctly, a 10% advantage over anyone else can go along way in pvp. Hense why some people say the jem'harda ship or other zen ships is over powered. That's the reason I fly with a galor, recluse and trying to get hold of a Jem'harda.
2 things - "special needs" is a PC catch-all term which is not specific - according to the the IQ test (while dated) it is accurate to call someone with an IQ in the 80's "mildly retarded" - the word "retarded" comes from the latin as most do - to mean held back - slowed - not up to pace with the rest - deficient when compared to the rest - ie - retarded

Go take a look in any medical book on the planet - start with the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) - you will not find the term "special needs"

It is still a term used by all psychiatrists and doctors to descride these types of people - it does not, however, say anything negative about the "type" of individual they are - and in his case a very good one. The point I am making about him is that while he is not mentally as fast as most people, he is able to conceptualize things still that are not by others - ie dumping money into a starbase - or as others have mentioned - alcohol, cigarettes, lap dances, etc etc

The second part when taking about the 10% advantage most of you posters have missed completely - 90% of the players of the game who are investing large amounts of time and money DO NOT use their ships for PvP and will see no real advantage in PvE - that is the whole point I am making - they are being led to believe they are much better but for the purposes that they will be used(in most cases) - they are not - but such is the capitalist consumption world we live in.

Last edited by syberghost; 08-26-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Rihannsu
# 32
08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
So basically the F2P model allows the free-loaders to enjoy what has been paid for by those of us that pay real money to support the game.

How about you just say "thank you for paying so I can play a free game"!

p.s. I'm not a millionaire in real life, I just have a few I play with in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
So basically the F2P model allows the free-loaders to enjoy what has been paid for by those of us that pay real money to support the game.

How about you just say "thank you for paying so I can play a free game"!

p.s. I'm not a millionaire in real life, I just have a few I play with in STO.
^This. I get picked on by some of the guys in my fleet who brag about how they managed to get all the good zen store ships by grinding dilithium. To them I say: who do you think's buying your dilithium?? If it wasn't for me and my urge for feild generators, transwarp coils, spiral beam arrays, advanced pets, fleet weapons, starbase upgrades, etc etc etc, you wouldn't have any nifty ships to brag about. Don't pick on me. Thank me.
Lieutenant
# 34
09-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephilim83 View Post
^This. I get picked on by some of the guys in my fleet who brag about how they managed to get all the good zen store ships by grinding dilithium. To them I say: who do you think's buying your dilithium?? If it wasn't for me and my urge for feild generators, transwarp coils, spiral beam arrays, advanced pets, fleet weapons, starbase upgrades, etc etc etc, you wouldn't have any nifty ships to brag about. Don't pick on me. Thank me.
Where do you think all of the dilithium and other stuff you bought came from? It works both ways, don't make yourself out to be a martyr because you dropped a bit of money on a game. People who choose not to pay real money invest time, and you know the old saying, "time is money."
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
The problem is STO not only had a pre-existing playerbase, its players are usually also trek fans, so even if they want to leave they feel doubly trapped. They feel trapped because they've already invested of themselves in the game and they love the IP. In all honesty everyone should've approached F2P STO as a new game and decided if they liked the model (and the trends it would inevitably follow) instead of thinking it'd still be the same game... but how could anyone do that? They had roots in the game and they loved the IP.
I don't feel trapped and I don't feel like I'm left behind. I'm not worried about trying to keep up because of all the advantages I have. If I create a new toon and I go into the black room where it asks if I want to do the tutorial or skip it before I choose I open up the c-store and deck out my character with half a dozen tribbles, a borg boff, armor, weapons, ship, etc. and not spend a point because of all my legacy unlocks and account wide items. Then I can go into the tutorial if I choose. Then if a new get to level 50 I have the resources of my other toons I can dump into him.

It is not about keep up with the new crowd. I start with that leg up. I new person has to save up/grind for things I had before f2p. Even with a small difference in gear, that does not make up for the experience and time in this game. Building a good ship is not easy and learning how everything work and knowing the counters is not something you get from one fed and one klink on f2p account when there are 3 classes.

By time a f2p person "catches up" I will have advances further.
Career Officer
# 36
09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
The answer is obvious as it is the main problem with the f2p model. If you're not one of the big spenders you fall behind. Simple as that. All f2p games like to say how they're not like that but in fact most are. Eventually people realize that and decide to either become big spenders, to always be behind, or simply be a churn player and leave for whatever else catches their fancy.

The problem is STO not only had a pre-existing playerbase, its players are usually also trek fans, so even if they want to leave they feel doubly trapped. They feel trapped because they've already invested of themselves in the game and they love the IP. In all honesty everyone should've approached F2P STO as a new game and decided if they liked the model (and the trends it would inevitably follow) instead of thinking it'd still be the same game... but how could anyone do that? They had roots in the game and they loved the IP.

As far as money mattering as it does in RL.... you need to realize that games are mostly about escapism. Even if they can't afford a nice car, fancy clothes or a big house they can escape to a place where they CAN get a shiny starship and live adventures... except now RL is intruding into their escapism... and again their limited funds just can't keep up with those with more disposable income. The game isn't about providing a fun place for everyone anymore, but rather about catering to the few large spenders. Its a mess really, they clearly aim everything at a certain type of customer but need to at least give lip service to content for everyone else... except SBs really shine a light on how non content they are.

Its simple business sense, but it also causes resentment when its rubbed too hard on player's faces.

Edit: I have a LTS but I do see both sides of it. I can even understand WHY the SBs are such money grabs, everyone remember the comment made by Stahl (I think it was him)? That everything they do has to have a demonstrable profit? What we're experiencing is the result of that design rule
I agree with this......