Commander
# 21
08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amurorx0 View Post
The third person section was narration to set the scene. The account itself is indeed intended to be from the perspective of my captain.

Very much akin to any programme where a narrator gives a quick overview, then the actual story of the day starts off.
Ah, I see. I wasn't trying to knock it, just note that it's a bit disorienting. One thing I might suggest is to put the narration in italics to set it apart from the main text, but that would be up to you to decide if it would improve it or not, or if the disorientation itself helps tell the story.

Great job, by the way!

Last edited by danqueller; 08-24-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Career Officer
# 22
08-24-2012, 07:32 PM
This is an interesting topic. I've been working on a bible for the novel series that I've got planned that features back stories for the main characters (my sto toons), and their senior officers. It's still not finished, but I suppose I could share my work so far for one of my characters. Perhaps, I'll do Pii's backstory, since he's got a very interesting first officer.
Rihannsu
# 23
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
This is an interesting topic. I've been working on a bible for the novel series that I've got planned that features back stories for the main characters (my sto toons), and their senior officers. It's still not finished, but I suppose I could share my work so far for one of my characters. Perhaps, I'll do Pii's backstory, since he's got a very interesting first officer.
don't series bibles seem to take forever?
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-27-2012, 07:09 AM
My short story is here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...81&postcount=7

Writing biographies can be fun, but I decided to take a different approach and show you some everyday experiences in the life of my ship's counselor, Commander sh'Raul. He's a bit blunt and to the point. I made him more like Hugh Cambridge (from the Voyager relaunch) than Deanna Troi (who I find absolutely boring).
Career Officer
# 25 Goshen A'nar's Crew Request
08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I got my entry in. After examining what i had available in my Bible for my upcoming novels, I decided to change it up a bit. I've decided to go with another Captain that makes an appearance in the stories. Goshen A'nar. I've got his Crew Request posted. Give it a read and feel free to leave feedback.
Career Officer
# 26
08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobbiec View Post
don't series bibles seem to take forever?
I've been working on this one for three months (with a month and a half downtime for STLV prep), and so far it's a forty page document, and i'm only a third of the way through. So, yes, it does take quite a bit of time, but so does a novel and especially a series of novels.
Rihannsu
# 27
08-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I really could never do novels, with my attention span it's hard enough to get through short stories. But I can't make things too long or it ends up just becoming mindless waffle.
Captain
# 28
08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I finally posted my story, but it feels like it's missing something. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Ensign
# 29
08-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Sorry for the small novel, but most of my characters including bridge officers have extensive back stories, and whole episodes devoted to them. My Chief Engineer currently has her own spin off series.
Commander
# 30
08-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellardrift View Post
Sorry for the small novel, but most of my characters including bridge officers have extensive back stories, and whole episodes devoted to them. My Chief Engineer currently has her own spin off series.
Hmm...not to be critical, but I was under the impression a 'single entry' implied a single forum post. Part of the challenge for myself was distilling what could have filled several pages into an descriptive text that didn't occupy more than that. However, the part about 'write as little or as much as you want' does sound like you could fill twenty pages of the Forums and label it a 'single entry'.

The important part is the sharing of backstories, though, and I think you did that