Career Officer
Hi all!

This is a general question really, but what is the best set for each career type? I ask because most of the fleet mates I speak to say 'MACO, MACO, MACO' and that's it.

Ignoring the fact that I prefer the visuals of the Omega kit over the MACO kit (it just looks more 'tactical'), my main concern is that I'm currently grinding a Tactical VA through the Ground STFs (with an aim to eventually start sending my Engineer and Science officers through them once they hit lvl 44) and I'd hate to drop 120EDC for the Mk XI set only to discover I've gotten the wrong one.

So, looking at the stats on STOWiki, the MACO set has greater survivability but the Omega set gives you a damage dealing and crit buff, as well as some avoidance/threat reduction (I think). What would be more crucial for each type of career?

Apologies if this is a terrible question, but I'm just looking to make the right choice first time.

Tim

P.S. I say Mk XI kit because I'm a believer in setting realistic goals and with Rare/Prototype drops being rarer than rocking horse dung (for me anyway - have had 1 Rare Borg Salvage in the 60 STFs I've done so far) I'm aiming for MK XI.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Omega >> if you is tactical or if you want to give damage
Maco >> if you just want survive

this conception works for me
...now see my dedication plaque
USS PEACEMAKER
- NCC-511217-A
and Screenshot With Two Steps From Hell Music Mix
- Brazilian Fleet - lvl 20_Tier5 / Emb,DiliM,Spi lvl 9

Last edited by darkwhite0; 08-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Commander
# 3
08-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Overall? Previous poster summed it up. For stf? Maco= obvious choice.
When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Omega is great is you can equip a pulsewave, and are even better if your a tactical officer. Basically you use the 10ish second cloak to get directly behind targets and boom. Critical hits out the wazo, + flanking damage. The anti-proton carbine isn't my favorite though.

Maco if you value your life.
Career Officer
# 5
08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I see. Thanks for the responses guys. As my main's a tac officer working towards the Mk XI stuff, I think I shall focus on getting the Omega kit first (controversial as that seems), as I do prefer being a pure damage dealer, and I equip hypos and shield charges (or team booster pack thingys) to try and keep myself in the game. These days I do only die if I have been an idiot.

As a follow up question; should I not bother with the STF kit at all, in light of the shiny new Fleet Armour/Weapons/Shields that are Mk XII already and available for simple Fleet Credits and Dilithium?

Tim

Edit: I should say that my tac officer mainly uses the purple Mk X Fire Team kit, with a phased tetryon (Mk XI purple) purple, and a Mk XII AP sniper rifle.

Last edited by tmichc; 08-25-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edit 2: Tetryon spelling...
Captain
# 6
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I use both mk xii sets on my tac, I use MACO mostly for STFs and whenever I am using fire team kit, and I use Omega for pvp and fleet events if I am using operative kit with it since it gives me an extra stealth to use while the kit stealth is on cooldown. If I only had 1 set I would probably prefer the MACO over Omega. I also think MACO is better then Omega for non-tac characters.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-25-2012, 02:33 PM
My main is a Sci, and I use the Omega to increase the damage. The Borg Medic kit comes with lots of survival built in, so thats pretty much all I need.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Fire team kit, IMHO, is probably best for the omega set. I find the cloaking cool down to be short at 45 seconds. Just remember the borg adapt to the weapon damage type. So you will probably want to mix up the anti-proton carbine with say a tetryon based weapon for antiborg. I still recommend a pulse wave assault type weapon.
Career Officer
# 9
08-27-2012, 08:58 PM
I cant be the only areseh*l3 that uses a 2 piece MACO with Chronodynamic armor for some excellent crit/overall damage?
Ensign
# 10
08-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
I cant be the only areseh*l3 that uses a 2 piece MACO with Chronodynamic armor for some excellent crit/overall damage?
Is that not super squishy?

Would Omega+Gambling Device not be safer albeit slighty lower but not by much critz?