Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 21
08-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
other games offer a full expansion for that kind of money...
And Cryptic gives you the expansions for free, but still costs just as much to develop as other small team games. What did you think they were going to use to pay the developers?

Free to Play doesn't mean Free to Code, Test, and Operate.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 22
08-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
And Cryptic gives you the expansions for free

...

Free to Play doesn't mean Free to Code, Test, and Operate.

The majority of MMO's out there do give their expansions for free. The F2P games that charge for expansions include not only new regions but new EVERYTHING for the cost of the expansion. Those benefits apply to all characters in the account.

What does cryptic do? A new ship for the cost of the expansion of other games. A 'free' new region that offers its good things only if you buy stuff from the zstore (doff packs,etc) which are for one character only.


Free to Play .. yes.
Free to Code... of course not.

Test? LOL as if the test anything but the functionality of the zstore. Have you even looked at tribble? They don't test ANYTHING. Its a track record with this company since the game went F2P. They do not test at all. Players find that an item listed in the patch notes was broken so horrible the entire item ceases to function and what does cryptic do?

send it to holodeck. Item does not get fixed but rather it is made barely functional again with a haphazard workaround.

That is the extent of Cryptic's quality assurance and testing.

Operate.. of course not.


The difference is, the players would be far more keen on spending money in the game if the things released were not lacking of any quality assurance and if the developers focused at least one or two patches on truly fixing bugs and issues that have been a huge issue for over a year now.

I need not to be a mason to know a wall is crooked nor an architect to know something was done wrong when a building collapses under its weight.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg

Last edited by cmdrskyfaller; 08-29-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 778
# 23
08-29-2012, 09:52 AM
this on fed side to
I have bought 3 module still can't get ship
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,707
# 24
08-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
The ONLY reason I would buy a Fleet Module would be to sell it on the exchange.
^^^
This. I'm not a big KDF fan (I have one KDF Engineer at 50) - and I think it's insane that there's NO KDF side Fleet ships that qualify for the discount. The "T5 C-Store ships only" situation is IMO ridiculous. If you paid actual CP or Zen for a C-Store variant of EITHER faction, the Starbase 'Fleet' variant SHOULD get the Fleet Ship Module discount. ESPECIALLY since these Fleet Variants ARE NOT accoujnt wide, nor can they be reclaimed if dismissed.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,213
# 25
08-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
lets look at the numbers.

Player A wants to buy a tier 5 c-store ship. which costs 2500 zen. he then upgrades to a fleet ship and pays 500 zen and some fleet credits. he now has one of the best ships in the game for 3000 zen.

Player B buys a tier 3 ship for 1000 zen to use at tier 3 and then buys 4 fleet modules for tier 5. he pays 2000 zen again and now has one of the best ships in the game plus he used the tier 3 ship for a total of 3000 zen like player A.

Lets call the OP player C. He wants to buy a tier 3 c-store ships for 1000 to use at tier 3, and then only buy 1 fleet model. that comes to 1500 zen. that does not seem to very fair to player A or B. he wants the best ship in the game, its alternate skin and the use of a tier 3 for half of what the others paid.

now are the ships and modules priced too highly? most people would probably say yes, but thats the going rate and its what people are buying them at.

the prices may be expensive but if people are willing to buy them then it has to cost everyone roughly the same. i could see an argument for tier 4 ships only requiring 3 modules as they currently cost 1500+2000 to make 3500, but i dont think the OP should have to pay less than someone who has paid the going rate already.

if the OP wants he can buy the fleet modules on the exchange and pay nothing, buy them with the dilithium conversion while the market is very favourable or he can have the fleet version that costs 200'000 fleet credits and also pay nothing. he only losses a small percentage bonus for the cost of the tier 3 ship he already has.


You're rather full of it here. Since when is a free Vor'Cha Retrofit "the best ship in the game"?

That's what it is. It's a skin for the Vor'cha-R, basically.

You're making up BS numbers stating that all ships are worth $30 USD. They aren't. If you recall MOST of the ships they have added before the massive Oddy/Bortas RIPOFF phase were far less. You'd get ships for 600 cpoints, 800 cpoints, and these were NOT tier 5 ships, but then again neither are most of the fleet ships. Hell, ship COSTUMES cost 400 cpoints. Note they removed the ship costumes from the store, and are now charging you $20 for some of the same costumes under the fleet setup?

Your entire thread is justifying greed based on false logic and made up qualifiers. Numerology doesn't mean squat. You can make numbers mean whatever you want with enough twisted logic. The fact of the matter is I bought the predecessor on which this particular fleet ship is based. I have both free ships AND the paid ship it is based on.

ANY excuse made up to justify charging $20 USD for this ship when others cost $5 USD is utter bullplop. It would be just that: an excuse.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,698
# 26
08-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
You're rather full of it here. Since when is a free Vor'Cha Retrofit "the best ship in the game"?

That's what it is. It's a skin for the Vor'cha-R, basically.

You're making up BS numbers stating that all ships are worth $30 USD. They aren't. If you recall MOST of the ships they have added before the massive Oddy/Bortas RIPOFF phase were far less. You'd get ships for 600 cpoints, 800 cpoints, and these were NOT tier 5 ships, but then again neither are most of the fleet ships. Hell, ship COSTUMES cost 400 cpoints. Note they removed the ship costumes from the store, and are now charging you $20 for some of the same costumes under the fleet setup?

Your entire thread is justifying greed based on false logic and made up qualifiers. Numerology doesn't mean squat. You can make numbers mean whatever you want with enough twisted logic. The fact of the matter is I bought the predecessor on which this particular fleet ship is based. I have both free ships AND the paid ship it is based on.

ANY excuse made up to justify charging $20 USD for this ship when others cost $5 USD is utter bullplop. It would be just that: an excuse.
perhaps i was not clear but the 'best ships in the game' refers to the fleet versions that have an extra console. extra shield and hull than the tier 5's. im not talking about the free ones.

im basing on the numbers that they are now. tier 3 ships never cost 600 c-points. they cost 800. and then was converted into zen which have a 25% difference. they became 1000 zen which is the exact same cost as what 800 c-points were. tier 4 ships were 1200 points and now become 1500 zen, again which works out at exactly the same value with the 25% modifier. the 2000 ones became 2500. If i remember correctly the tier 4 and 5 did have a price increase before season 5 when it was still all c-points but that is still not relevant to what the current costs are right now.

there is no twisted logic here, im not using the numbers to do anything other than point out what they cost. these are the facts of what they all cost. these are the prices that they are if they bought them right now. i cant account for what people may or may not have bought 2 years ago, or during a sale or whatever. these are the facts as they stand. if you someone managed to get them cheaper in some way in the past then great.

basically you dont want to pay these prices. fine. your choice but many people have paid these prices as they are now and whether you like the pricing structure or not if you want the same you are going to have to pay the same, but paying for a tier 3 ship and then getting a fleet ship for 1 module would be paying a hell of a lot less than what others have or will pay.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission

Last edited by captainrevo1; 08-30-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,949
# 27
08-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Captainrevo1, I agree with everything you said in your last few posts, but I still think it's unreasonable to be forced to pay an extra 2,000 Zen for a per-character unlock.

I would happily pay 2,000 Zen to be able to use my T2 Rhode Island as a T5.5 on all my characters but not for just one character. For a single character I don't believe it's worth more then 1 Module after I've already paid for the ship.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,973
# 28
08-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
And Cryptic gives you the expansions for free, but still costs just as much to develop as other small team games. What did you think they were going to use to pay the developers?

Free to Play doesn't mean Free to Code, Test, and Operate.

actually your argument has already been disassembled by somebody else, but i want to add this:

a captain retrain token...that costs 500 z-points. in a skill system, that actually forces you to respec everytime you change ship?
let me give you an example...i currently play a science officer on an escort. I really had an interest to buy the Oddy pack, but if i wanted to be in any way competitive with it i would need to completely respec my sci officer. Bringing the price of the ship up to 5500 z-points.
thats already about the price of an entire new game. a cheap one, but never the less.

then if i desided to use it on another toon, i would allways need to pay the 500 for a respec with my other toons, since respec is character bound.

on top of all that, if i wanted a 10% increase in stats, i should pay another 500 c-points? (i mean that doesn' apply now to the oddy but to many other ships)

and on top of that...if i had the ship since i was a subscriber...i should pay 2000 c-points for those 10%?

now take the time to put the real money numbers instead of the z/c-points and ask yourself if the prices aren't exagurated in this game.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
# 29 Cheap Move..
08-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Unless I am wrong they do not even tell it only aplys to VA ship. Welcome to Perfect World people
"Of course you know, this means war!" Bugs Bunny
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,949
# 30
08-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendharmny View Post
Unless I am wrong they do not even tell it only aplys to VA ship. Welcome to Perfect World people
I'm not sure what you're saying here. The Fleet Ships are clearly marked as T5 ships in the Shipyard. Every ship in the Shipyard tells you what Rank is needed to use it. There's no confusion there.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.