Captain
# 11
08-29-2012, 06:52 AM
I have had boycotted -all- Starbase duty officer projects and "limited time" projects for the reasons stated in this thread.

They are not worth the time and expense. They don't reward you with anything special worthy of the resources channeled into it.

The best way to avoid frustration is not to do the projects at all. And VERY CAREFULLY inspect the resources required for the next stage before hitting that button.

Preposition resources to blitz the project, or don't do it at all.

This doesn't help those who are already stuck or already burnt by the project - but the decision to boycott was by my personally financing one of the early starbase duty officer projects and evaluating the results.

Since the results were not worth it, 'executive order' was passed to prevent anyone from activating said projects.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by carmenara; 08-29-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Rihannsu
# 12
08-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah really. you get jack for Fleet Credits for contributing the drinks to the bartender project. Seriously 2 FC each!!! Ugh...

On the bright side, I've been stockpiling them for months so if my fleet ever does start the project I'lve got plenty.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 13
08-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
On the bright side, I've been stockpiling them for months so if my fleet ever does start the project I'lve got plenty.
^This^

Quote:
And VERY CAREFULLY inspect the resources required for the next stage before hitting that button.

Preposition resources to blitz the project, or don't do it at all.
and this ^

I think this is a case of poor communication and planning on the part of your fleet leaders or fleet base project leaders... in my fleet we discuss which projects to run, what the cost is, and what the benefit is....

The fleet is made aware of what projects are out there and available, what we would need to start the project... and what the benefit of the project will be... we decide as a team 1) Do we want it, and 2) Are we ready to start it....

Example: The tribble fiasco... it was a pointless fluff project, that we decided as a whole not to do. However, we did purchase the aesthetic bar upgrade...

On items we want... we make sure, like the quoted poster, we stockpile the hard to obtain/find items before launching the upgrade.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....

Last edited by johnny111971; 08-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Career Officer
# 14
08-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Either this should be knocked down to 25 of each or there should be some way to get these items that are drop only or from once-a-day doff assignments.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Career Officer
# 15
08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
The price for the Dosi Rotgut is now >300,000 EC each bottle. That's > 75million on the exchange, and as more fleets begin this project the price will only rise. There should be another solution to this otherwise fleets are going to grind to a halt on the upgrades because they cannot complete.

I would remove this project if I could, we haven't started it yet but it will begin in 2 days and there's nothing I can do to cancel it, no other project available to replace it with. Cryptic this need some work.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Empire Veteran
# 16
08-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I think this is a case of poor communication and planning on the part of your fleet leaders or fleet base project leaders... in my fleet we discuss which projects to run, what the cost is, and what the benefit is....

The fleet is made aware of what projects are out there and available, what we would need to start the project... and what the benefit of the project will be... we decide as a team 1) Do we want it, and 2) Are we ready to start it....

Example: The tribble fiasco... it was a pointless fluff project, that we decided as a whole not to do. However, we did purchase the aesthetic bar upgrade...

On items we want... we make sure, like the quoted poster, we stockpile the hard to obtain/find items before launching the upgrade.
That's cute, I see what you did there. Now everyone who complains looks like they didn't plan ahead. Nice politician redirection tactic. However, that's like saying "Your car doesn't really NEED the ability to turn right, just turn left until you're facing the way you want to go."

We didn't want the Tribbles&Targs for obvious reasons, but we do want a bartender. The extremely limited attainability of the items, coupled with the obscene amount required to fulfill the project is an egregious oversight by the developers. Said oversight can be easily remedied; end of story.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
08-29-2012, 10:57 AM
My perspective may not be popular in a venting-thread.

I am hearing a lot of howling anger at Cryptic over this project from people who feel misled or irate over the sheer amount of unreliable contributions needed. I have no way of knowing how many of you actually scheduled the project without reading (and comprehending the magnitude of) the requirements. I agree the reward isn't worth what it asks. There's no disputing that and that only makes it less desirable. But this is about those who felt 'tricked' or 'locked into completing a worthless project'.

As a fleet leader, like I'm guessing some of you may be, I need to consider the cost of the project before any project is scheduled. Seeing a project that calls for two-hundred and fifty of a specific non-purchase item--let alone doing it twice--should be cause for a red flag to go up and cue a little voice to go 'Hmm... does my fleet have the means to complete this in any reasonable amount of time? Maybe I should poll the fleet if I don't know for certain' and act on that. And 'Maybe I should look for (or wait for) information on what this project actually gives in totality to judge if it's worth it.'

All of these dressy projects are optional. They're not required for fleet progression; only the main projects are otherwise. You do not have to schedule them just because they're there and they will not go away if you don't. I have avoided scheduling the project for my fleet until we build a pool of Ale and Rotgut in our fleet bank, and only then will we even bother. So we are still doing the long-term social hunter-gathering that the project intends, but we aren't locked into completing it before any other upgrades.

This should be what any sensible Fleet Project Coordinator does for their fleet instead of clicking that button and breezing through the warning about being unable to unschedule it. If the requirements are ludicrous just ignore the darn thing. If you still want to do it, use your fleet bank and build the required ingredients over time BEFORE you schedule it.

If you were caught out and now have to spend time farming for Ale and Rotgut because of that, I'd say at least a portion of the blame lies with you (or your fleet leader). And if a project like this pisses you off, wait until what's in store for you for Tier III...

tl;dr: If you didn't know what you were getting into before scheduling, it's your own fault. If your fleet's project coordinator did it without realizing, it's their fault for wasting your time. Study and evaluate before any costly project.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Empire Veteran
# 18
08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyvix View Post
My perspective may not be popular in a venting-thread.

tl;dr: If you didn't know what you were getting into before scheduling, it's your own fault. If your fleet's project coordinator did it without realizing, it's their fault for wasting your time. Study and evaluate before any costly project.
Blah Blah Blah your own fault Blah Blah should've planned ahead Blah Blah Blame the fleet leader Blah effing blah... WRONG. Anyone who thinks this way is missing the point: The system is imbalanced and needs to be fixed. The demand drastically exceeds the supply, therefore, supply must increase to match the demand or risk losing customers. We've seen this very recently, lest everyone forget. Many Common Duty Officers selling for 750k+ EC on the exchange; absurd. What happened? Fleet Duty Officer requisitions were added to balance the system. A similar solution is required here.
Career Officer
# 19
08-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargan View Post
That's cute, I see what you did there. Now everyone who complains looks like they didn't plan ahead. Nice politician redirection tactic. However, that's like saying "Your car doesn't really NEED the ability to turn right, just turn left until you're facing the way you want to go."

We didn't want the Tribbles&Targs for obvious reasons, but we do want a bartender. The extremely limited attainability of the items, coupled with the obscene amount required to fulfill the project is an egregious oversight by the developers. Said oversight can be easily remedied; end of story.
Lol... I certainly did not mean to come off as "cute"... its a fact, a fact applied every day in the normal course of our lives... when considering a purchase, we need to consider its cost to compared to the benefit it provides.

Your analogy is flawed, as turning Right is a core requisite of a vehicle... a better analogy would be, does my car need an automatic start, or power windows? The actually working of the car is no different (the car still starts, and the windows still roll down), but it sure would be nice on cold mornings to start the car from the warmth of my kitchen...

It is a fluff piece... something that is not required for the car to operate effectively. The same can be said of the bartender, or tribbles, or any aesthetic upgrade.

No, you are free to complain... but in the same breath I am free to explain, that people should have considered what the costs were, and what benefits would be obtained before starting the project.

By the way: I've seen a post or two about the items being available through once-a-day drops... not sure about the Romulan Ale, but Dosi is available from completeing the Biochemical Tullabery Doff Chain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 20
08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargan View Post
Blah Blah Blah your own fault Blah Blah should've planned ahead Blah Blah Blame the fleet leader Blah effing blah... WRONG. Anyone who thinks this way is missing the point: The system is imbalanced and needs to be fixed. The demand drastically exceeds the supply, therefore, supply must increase to match the demand or risk losing customers. We've seen this very recently, lest everyone forget. Many Common Duty Officers selling for 750k+ EC on the exchange; absurd. What happened? Fleet Duty Officer requisitions were added to balance the system. A similar solution is required here.
Except the fleet duty officer systems benefits, in regards to fleet bases, have been removed. You can no longer use them to donate to fleet projects... in fact it became worse, since we can not identify which duty officers on the exchange were purchased from the Fleet base (Commission Duty Officer contact), and which were not.