Career Officer
# 21
08-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
Either this should be knocked down to 25 of each or there should be some way to get these items that are drop only or from once-a-day doff assignments.
I am not sure about the Romulan Ale, but I do know you can get Dosi from the Biochemical Tullaberry doff chain (repeatable daily, 1 for success 3 for crit).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Starfleet Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargan View Post
Blah Blah Blah your own fault Blah Blah should've planned ahead Blah Blah Blame the fleet leader Blah effing blah... WRONG. Anyone who thinks this way is missing the point: The system is imbalanced and needs to be fixed. The demand drastically exceeds the supply, therefore, supply must increase to match the demand or risk losing customers. We've seen this very recently, lest everyone forget. Many Common Duty Officers selling for 750k+ EC on the exchange; absurd. What happened? Fleet Duty Officer requisitions were added to balance the system. A similar solution is required here.
Ohhh maii... You're totally entitled to your opinion that Cryptic should make this game easier and faster for you. Doesn't make you right, or an objective thinker who can get out of the grist of mob anger and look at the bigger picture...but you can belittle others' opinion without regard to what they're saying at least!

You are fixated on the Exchange as if it were the only means of acquiring DOffs, and that is your mistake.

If I may tout my medium-sized fleet a moment: We don't even bother with the Exchange for DOffs and we're at fleet level 8 with one last Tier II facility having just finished, the Comms Array. There're fleets beyond us, but we're not racing them and not going to resort to throwing gobs of money at people who're being super-capitalists on the Exchange to do it. the Exchange is an option. It is not the ONLY option. You don't need to rely on it unless you're a grinder, and this system is going to kill grinders who want their toys sooner rather than later.

I do agree with you that the cost on the Exchange is absurd. Whites that cost as much--or more--than purples is indicative of something rather twisted int he rarity scale. That's about it, and largely why we do not bother with the Exchange. You are aware of the Academy Officer Exchange, yes? Of the DOff recruitment services? Or is that not 'fast enough' for you?

Using Asylums and other DOff-gaining missions to get more DOffs or grind down the higher DOffs from them into lower DOffs, then spilitting those into whites? These strategies never occurred to you as alternatives to the Exchange?

Fleet Bases will be with us for many, many months...years...and Cryptic is trying to make the system reflect this as they add future modules and flesh it out, the exact same as they did with the DOff system, which was rather barebones when it launched compared to how it is now. Some things Cryptic definitely needs to tweak, and you see those tweaks as they respond to their internal data (the increase of fleet marks, the release of the Officer Exchange at the Academy, Fleet Mark Boosts, and likely more down the road). Stahl himself has intimated that they are looking into ways to further balance the system when he answered the following in the August's Ask Cryptic:
Q: (drkaczs) I run a small fleet. To make it fair, can smaller fleets get a bonus to earning fleet marks?

Dstahl: Since the release of Starbases in Season 6, we are keeping a close eye on Fleet project progression and will be making some changes in upcoming updates. These changes include significantly reducing the amount of Fleet Marks needed at higher tiers, adding more missions that provide Fleet Marks, and adding a Fleet Mark Boost item that can be purchased for Fleet Credits.
That is a question geared towards fleet marks, not DOffs. As anyone who pays attention to what devs say knows, they have the data of how projects are completed, how often, and what bottlenecks are. They saw the bottleneck in Fleet Marks and started addressing that. They're doing the same for DOffs at their own pace and in a way that doesn't do further damage to the long-term model. So I'm not ready to screech bloody murder and tear my face up in all-caps anger over it.

If you're so discouraged by the long haul of fleet starbases now, I hope you don't give up too soon. You haven't even said a thing about the 60 Green DOffs required for a single 1,000XP project yet! I'd think that's something that'd really get rage-faces going...But if you're just another forum-poster who skips to the end so you can pick something to pick apart in a dissenter's post, well there's no discussion here with you.

Good day. And good luck!

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Career Officer
# 23
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
Except the fleet duty officer systems benefits, in regards to fleet bases, have been removed. You can no longer use them to donate to fleet projects... in fact it became worse, since we can not identify which duty officers on the exchange were purchased from the Fleet base (Commission Duty Officer contact), and which were not.
I must retract this statement... my apologies for any confusion. Apparently on Tribble the ability to use fleet base purchased doffs for fleet base projects has been restored, and there is much anticipation that this will be released with tomorrows Holodeck patch (although not confirmed).

Link to that thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=458
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
08-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I must retract this statement... my apologies for any confusion. Apparently on Tribble the ability to use fleet base purchased doffs for fleet base projects has been restored, and there is much anticipation that this will be released with tomorrows Holodeck patch (although not confirmed).

Link to that thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=458
And there were many a pout as orders of 'Working As Intended' t-shirts were canceled.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Empire Veteran
# 25
08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
(Yes, I read the whole post; I'm abbreviating.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyvix View Post
You are fixated on the Exchange as if it were the only means of acquiring DOffs, and that is your mistake.
No, that was not my mistake. But as you said, the exchange is an indicator of "something rather twisted in the rarity scale." With humility, there is very little my moderate-to-large size fleet has had to purchase from the exchange to fill our requirements and we always use every legitimate means at our disposal. Many of us have been waiting for Fleet Starbases since Beta and we were prepared.

Let me digress from my rather confrontational candor on this matter for a moment. I argue for the new/smaller fleets in this debate. My point is one of economics that can't be avoided: Supply must meet demand or customers will be lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comvirtousamos View Post
... its pushing people from playing STO ...
I don't want people leaving STO, I want more people joining us because we're having a good time in a game we enjoy. I'm angered that people are being dissuaded from playing because of game imbalances like this one; that hurts us all a lot more than a stutter in our starbase development or a hit to our resources.
Career Officer
# 26
08-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Cool, now I know what to do with all that romulan ale I've been hoarding. 200+ bottles, cha-ching!

I'll finally be able to afford to outfit all my avi's with Tribbles of Borg.
Captain
# 27
08-30-2012, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadghost View Post
Cool, now I know what to do with all that romulan ale I've been hoarding. 200+ bottles, cha-ching!

I'll finally be able to afford to outfit all my avi's with Tribbles of Borg.
I financed a recluse carrier with romulan ale!
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Career Officer
# 28
08-30-2012, 05:36 AM
There are multiple issues with this issue, it isn't any one person's fault

-The bartender requirements are just stupidly high for two items that are quite rare. There is one a single method to get the Dosi, and 1/day (if you can get it every day and you won't) is rough for even a large fleet, most people don't have advanced and developed Doff systems. Romulan ale is completely unreliable to obtain, from ground drops to the doff special pour assignment with an excessive cooldown, to the randomness of the contraband missions. Cryptic did not think this through in a supply/demand before implementing

-There is no ability to cancel or clear the queue for the starbase project, this is a mess and a poor interface implementation. I'm the SB coordinator for our fleet, I warned them about the bartender and to start saving up weeks ago. Someone decided to queue the bartender because it was the only one available, the game has a poor fleet rank system so multiple people can screw up projects. So right now I have ordered a stop to the transwarp hub upgrade, we will finish the last half of science to get to level 3 and overwrite the bartender in the queue.

-A lot of the blame is for poor SB management, just because the demands are ridiculous doesn't give you guys the right to stupidly pick tasks and then come here to complain about how you are stuck. There is a preview, use and plan it out, if you can't get 60 and 60 doffs of specific fields and you queued them, that is your own fault, don't do those ones. Cryptic can't save the stupid. It is pretty obvious some features are very long term and some are for the largest fleet, expecting everything to be done in a day is idiotic.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
08-30-2012, 06:40 AM
So......does everyone want to complete their fleetbases in a month?

Do you not want fleetbases to be a challenge?

The more challenging it is to complete a fleetbase the better you will feel when you complete it. 7 Months to complete a fleetbase <------ 7 Months and thats a medium size fleet. The smaller fleets will take a while longer to complete and the larger fleets will complete faster and the solo fleets will take an ice age to complete.

Tier 3 and up will continue to get harder and harder, the Romulan Ale and Rotgut is only a tip of the iceberg, trust me it's going to get harder and I look forward to it.

Everyone wants more and more from Cryptic and when they get it they just want it handed to them it's really getting tiresome. Cry and Cry for content get content cry and cry that it's to hard. geez people I guess you all want to seat around a look at the MMO.
12th-fleet.com
Career Officer
# 30
08-30-2012, 07:01 AM
I thought i would voice in and give my opinion.

Overall I like the starbase-thing. I am in a VERY small fleet.
We were at most 13 members, but it has now been reduced to 9.
I.e. We are effectively only three online at random times.
Being the one that has tossed in the most resources, feel that I can voice my opinion without stepping on any of the others toes/flippers -whatever...

Yes, the project as a whole is daunting. Do I ever see us/me finishing it off? No.
Do I get any ragefit over this? No.
I don't expect to ever see tier 5 in my lifetime, but so what. It is quite limited otherwise for what I want to use my dilithium and doffs and other resources on in this game.
When I play games, I don't 'Play them through as quickly as possible'. This game is just a game that are willing to give you a little more for whatever reason you're playing it.
I am a lifer, but as a matter of fact, real life can often toss in a challenge that makes you leave the gaming for a while.

Quickly soon after Ep6 was launched, there were, and still are rage/quit-fits over lack of other (fleet)members activities. All i have to say to these impatient whiners are; Relax. the base will be there for an eternity. Don't make a fuss about other players way of playing this game. Play it your way, the way you can. Don't demand anything from others. It makes no sense. If people are willing to throw in a doff or two, or a bottle of rotgut, but no more. Appreciate it. It was at least something.

There are always things (mechanics & bugs) that can be improved upon, but it makes no sense to focus on "This should be better". Isn't it better to appreciate what ones got, and have some fun where possible?

I could always take the dil-mining as an supreme example of something that is bug-ridden.
Miners where their lazzors come out of their hinds, no sound, people with no EV-suit, etc. etc. To me, it doesn't really matter. The minigame itself works. I am happy.

The starbase is working. Not optimally, but good enough. There is constant progress, albeit being tedious and stagnant sometimes, the projects moves on.

I am happy about Cryptic and their developers. They are doing a great job, and deserves to know once in a while that they are appreciated. -At least i am.
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.