Ensign
# 1 Fleet web pages
08-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Hello all
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not if not Devs please move.
Have noticed alot of the Fleets have some pretty cool web pages and our Fleet is wanting to put one up but not sure how to get started.

wondring if there was a paticular server to use, any cost involved and how difficult it is.
any feed back and info would be appreciated Thanks
Career Officer
# 2
08-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangpowered View Post
Hello all
Have noticed alot of the Fleets have some pretty cool web pages and our Fleet is wanting to put one up but not sure how to get started.

wondring if there was a paticular server to use, any cost involved and how difficult it is.

We are in the UK and use 1and1.co.uk as the host, the basic package is about ?5 a month which gives enough storage for the site. Then you can use the built in web design tools or use something with more power and versatility like Frontpage, Dreamweaver or as we do Net Objects Fusion. It's not difficult really but if you haven't done a website before then you need to do some reading up, I'm sure there are lots of tutorials out there. I'm no expert but I managed to create our website in a matter of minutes, of course the design and content takes far longer and the website you see below has probably had about 5 working days put into it so far, the rest of the time is always thinking up content and tweaking it to look good.

Good luck

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 3
08-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangpowered View Post
Hello all

I designed the entire website for the STO Academy from scratch (both the main STOA site and our fleet site fleet.stoacademy.com). Although I know how to do all the coding, design work etc.

As mattjohnsonva said, there are tools out there to help you design a site. You can also use any hosting company. I suggest staying away from godaddy because I personally don't like their system, its overly complex for something that can be extremely simple. Hosting companies like host monster or web hosting pad are good. I have experience with both.

No matter how you like at it, you'll need to pay for a domain name and the server. Unless you go with a free company like 000webhost, but in that case you won't have a domain like www.myfleet.com it will be more along the lines of myfleet.000webhost.com
Ensign
# 4
08-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info found a host that had a sale going ipage.com, working on the page slowly first time doing one, you have some nice pages there I will post ours when I make some progress.