Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalecto View Post
Hi all,

Please do not discuss 'Mech Warrior Online' on our forums during it's beta phase, also please edit your posts if you've mentioned MWO and if you wish to discuss MWO on our forums post beta, please only discuss it in the Ten Forward section.

Stay on topic, thanks for your understanding!

kalecto
While the creation of this thread seems to be against what kalecto has requested, the request was clearly made to avoid any violation of the NDA by beta members.

So here it is:Don't say anything to violate the NDA in this thread.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk MWO. It's clearly not a violation to mention that you are in the beta since the main page has a giant banner stating that anybody who buys a founder's pack has instant beta access.

MWO is pure PvP. It's already drawing members of the STO PvP community, including some of the top guide-writing, bug proving, video making PvPers. These PvPers have proven time and again that they understand STO game mechanics better than the developers. With PvP revamps now rumored to be pushed back to Season 9, can STO afford to lose these provocateurs? Firebrands though they may be, they are the most dedicated group of testers STO has.

One other note, this is not a purely MWO thread, so feel free to discuss builds, tactics, etc, from previous Mechwarrior games and TT. We'll assume any references to such things do not refer to MWO, as that would likely violate somebody's NDA, which nobody would do.
Captain
# 2
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Been waiting 10 years for this. I was of the old guard, MW2 NBT/registry, House Steiner. I STILL remember some battles from those days, not tactics but individual battles like it happened yesterday. The friends scattered to the winds when the league collapsed but miraculously some kept tabs on others, and with the beta site attracting die-hards from all over we've bumped into each other again. Out of 30 or so in our unit, we've found about a dozen, and have lines on others.

Somewhere on an old drive I have a copy of the tactics manual we compiled, but luckily I remember most of it and only hope it still applies. If I can find it I'll certainly share but am sure a new one will be written as new mechs replaced some old favorites, and they'll certainly have new challenges to overcome to make them more efficient killing machines.

I didn't buy a founder pack yet as I'm unsure if I can run MWO out of the box, a new 'new system may have to be built as the one I built for ST:O a few months ago doesn't appear to be usable for the game so I'm unsure where ST:O will be once I start work on a new system but I hope to have both games working.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Lieutenant
# 3
08-19-2012, 03:32 PM
The game is awesome.... just awesome.

Who wouldn't enjoy piloting giant robots and blowing the crap out of stuff?!

I'm in seventh heaven

R.I.P STO
Dork - I.K.S. WeeBugger
Rihannsu
# 4
08-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I played several arcade games a few years back that were loads of fun. You piloted a mecha and fought enemies. The games had a really nice control scheme where you used two joysticks to move the mecha in 3 dimensions. Yeah, that's right! These games had flying mecha! 10 years ago....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 5
08-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Huge MW fan, been playing the board game for over 20 years, painted my own minis, first learned how to build a computer specifically so I could play MW2, and so on. Heard this game was coming and cheered. Then saw it was all PVP. Noooooo! Hate that level of viciousness, ruthlessness, nastiness, and competitiveness. Just wanna play around and have fun, maybe go in for some serious overkill sometimes without having to be a bully in doing so. Ugh. At least there's still Mechwarrior Tactics coming out.
Captain
# 6
08-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Really? The best part of previous 'Mech games was the PvP. It was epic seeing LRMs from 20 pilots streak across the battlefield. Not even 20man fleet actions in STO gives that 'epicness' feeling

Back in earlier MW games I participated in a huge amount of PvP matches and each time my challenge was not use the typical quad autocannon configs (awesome in FIBUA maps) but try to come up with something unique, canon-like and still effective. Or master uncommon roles like Long Tom indirect fire or even beyond visual range attacks.

For the most part any sort of assault mech PvP was really easy to dominate as the usual damage dealing builds were really predictable and its easy to catch them outside their optimal 'destroyer' roles using lighter 'Mechs.

It's just as fun as STO PvP minus the nerfs. Certain types of electronic warfare in MW4 can be and still is very effective.

Being a BT fan myself I will definitely give the new game a try.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Lieutenant
# 7
08-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Yep stuck an XL300 engine in my jenny last night and ran circles around those big nasty atlas's .... that was until I ran into one. Then they executed me on the spot >,<

so much fun and the customization puts most other PVP based MMOs to shame.

Now I just need to get into the planetside beta and I'm sorted for the next 5 years ^^
Dork - I.K.S. WeeBugger

Last edited by bawj4ws; 08-20-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
The more I heard about it, the less interested I became. I was excited at first when it was announced as a reboot of the MechWarrior games. However, once it was announced as the F2P MechWarrior Online, my excitement quickly faded. I didn't care if it was recycling the "my royal family died and I'm out for vengeance" plot from MechWarrior 4, I wanted a Triple-A PC game. I wanted a game similar to the older titles. A solid single or perhaps co-op campaign, online multiplayer, and a combat simulator. Modding tools would've also been welcome.

I'll check it out at launch, but chances are I'll probably just stick with MechWarrior 2 and 3 on my older machine.
@HyperLimited
Captain
# 9
08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
'Reboot' is such a dirty word, especially on a Star Trek site.

...of course I'm MW3 'Pirates Moon's biggest fan.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Community Moderator
# 10
08-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
While the creation of this thread seems to be against what kalecto has requested, the request was clearly made to avoid any violation of the NDA by beta members.

So here it is:[b]Don't say anything to violate the NDA in this thread.

Then scroll down and read the "Don'ts" under "Welcome To Beta" (only applies if you're in beta).

If you wish to discuss MWO beta at present, please do so using the MWO beta forums.

Thread closed.

Cheers,

kalecto
Twitter: @STO_Alecto | Voluntary Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums | Ferasan Shadow Force
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs.
Closed Thread