Career Officer
Probably already mentioned in previous threads, but here is my idea for Fleet Base Defense upgrade to PVP (something i think is really needed).

Based on another thread, I got to thinking about how we can boost overall comraderie of fleets... so I propose the following.

Allow Fleet members to activate a "Strike Team" and/or "Defense Team" on their character (or join a fleet created team of say up to 10 players (no minimum)

Teams are ranked by average rank... example a strike team of 10 Captain 30's would have a attack capability of 30 ((10*30)/10 = 20). A team of 5 VA/LG's would have an attack capability of 25 ((5*50)/10 = 25). Similarily the defense teams are also ranked, with maybe a modifer for Starbase Level.

The strike team can queue up to attack an enemy starbase... the queue system would find a starbase defense team at the appropriate level (minimum = attack teams potential), and are queued to attack that base...

The defending teams are not queued... they are in effect, on watch duty should their base be attack (no guarantee it will be).

The defending team receives Fleet Alert UI Alert (which never made it to Holodeck), and the defending team acknowledges the alert, and heads for their starbase (transwarp, (if available) or best possible speed otherwise) Failure to acknowledge the Fleet Distress Call does not alter the attacking team in anyway). The attacking team will have a head start, as they warp in as the defending team rushes to their starbase (a surprise attack for lack of a better term), and as they arrive (which may not be all at the same time), begins to defend their base.

A destroyed vessel does not rejoin the fight.

Points (Fleet Marks?) Awarded To Strike Team: For Each Damaged/Knocked Offline Facility, Each Destroyed Defending Vessel (Destroyed player rank/10 (i.e. destroying a VA earns you 5 Fleet Marks, a LT 10 = 1 Fleet Mark), Damaged/Knocked Offline Starbase

Additional Actions for damaged facilities, base... use of that facility is on cooldown for 1 hour for repairs (i.e. can't use Transwarp gate for 1 hour if knocked offline by strike team... can't buy from fleet stores specific to the facility damaged for 1 hour while facility is being repaired).

Points (Fleet Marks?) Awarded To Defence Team: For each Strike Team Member destroyed... retained use of non-offline facilities.

The beauty is, that you decide whether or not to participate (if you dont want to defend your base, nobody queues for the defense team)... and you would be pitted against opponents that work out to be a similar level as your team).

Admittedly, this is a first pass, and the math might have to be adjusted to properly weight the teams... but I am sure it can be done. Maybe a modifier by profession to take into account the inate dps ability (+1 Tac, +0 Eng -1 Sci)... no flaming please, not looking to get into a debate on who is stronger, etc etc etc... just throwing numbers out there. Reason I say this is in the example scenarios above I think 10 Captain 30's would find it difficult to take on 5 VA's... not entirely impossible (accounting for skill, but still it would be pretty dang hard). But this is also why I stated the defending team would need to make their way to the base at best possible speed (instead of all players just being there at the start of the invasion).

Not entirely happy with the Defending team set-up... anyone have some idea's to add?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 2
08-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Ok thought of potential abuses, so...

If you are a member of a Strike Team, at mission completion you can not queue again for say 30 minutes (current FM Event CD, or 1 hour).

A particular Starbase can not be attacked more than once per hour (so it is fully repaired).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Captain
# 3
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post

The defending teams are not queued... they are in effect, on watch duty should their base be attack (no guarantee it will be).

The defending team receives Fleet Alert UI Alert (which never made it to Holodeck), and the defending team acknowledges the alert, and heads for their starbase (transwarp, (if available) or best possible speed otherwise) Failure to acknowledge the Fleet Distress Call does not alter the attacking team in anyway). The attacking team will have a head start, as they warp in as the defending team rushes to their starbase (a surprise attack for lack of a better term), and as they arrive (which may not be all at the same time), begins to defend their base.
This is a huge negative.

Essentially in every scenario the attacking side gets the advantage.

e.g I am in DS9. My SB has no transwarpo gate. I have to fly to the SB in Archanis Sector (+- 3 - 5 mins). By the time I get there half my team's already dead, following warping individually into map against 5-man side.... And they can't respawn ... so I die 5 secs later ...
Commander
# 4
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I think the idea is headed in the right direction but it could use some tweaks!

First, I do not like how you have to wait an hour to use the damage systems as not everyone in a fleet does PVP and wants to be affected by it.

Still... PVP should be fun! The Fleet Mark rewards and stuff are more than enough to keep it fun and entertaining.

I also don?t like the no re-spawn. I think instead that re-spawn should be longer for defenders and shorter for attackers.

Anyway? I like the general idea a lot!
Career Officer
# 5
08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Good feedback...

The idea on the not everyone being there immediately was an effort to give the attack team a slight advantage... since the Starbases can fire themselves... (and to some extent add a little something to it... i.e. if you were to get a distress call, you generally aren't there when the firing began) an equally matched team, with one having a starbase backing them up... seems like a disadvantage to the attacking team.

That being said, then the starbase level needs to be a mod on defense teams number (Player team stregnth needs to be less than the attacking team (since they have starbase back-up). If everything was equal... there would be virtually no time for the attacking team to attack facilities). It would be a Arena map.

Fair point on not everyone does PVP... However there should be something for losing your base though... nothing too detremental that would keep players away... any ideas?

Edit: I am more motivated if I stand to lose something... but perhaps the lower fleet marks is enough?

The point behind the no-respawn was to have the end being successful defense, or successful strike. There needs to be a way for the defending team to drive away the attackers... and the attackers need to be focused on destroying the base (or facilities)... What I don't want to see is the fleet base map be like an arena with simple kill counts. How about a respawn limit?

Last edited by johnny111971; 08-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Commander
# 6
08-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I like the distress call idea that would inform all Fleet Mates of the defending Star Base that their base was under attack, and I like the idea to not have all the defenders arrive at the same time; if any arrive at all while the attacking force arrives as a large force.

I however, I think that the re-spawn timer should get longer and longer for the defenders each time a defender dies. This will give the attackers more time on their main targets and even the Star Base.

Now, as to not make it un-balanced against the defender, the defending fleet should have AI controlled defenses (Star Base, Weapons Platforms, AI patrol Ships). In this way, as the attackers have a head Start they will be able to take out some defenses and facilities; however, as the Fleet Ships start to arrive, the attack will be more difficult as it nears the Star Base itself.

I also like the idea of limited re-spawns per force! More for attackers less for defenders!
Career Officer
# 7
08-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleon22 View Post
I like the distress call idea that would inform all Fleet Mates of the defending Star Base that their base was under attack, and I like the idea to not have all the defenders arrive at the same time; if any arrive at all while the attacking force arrives as a large force.

I however, I think that the re-spawn timer should get longer and longer for the defenders each time a defender dies. This will give the attackers more time on their main targets and even the Star Base.

Now, as to not make it un-balanced against the defender, the defending fleet should have AI controlled defenses (Star Base, Weapons Platforms, AI patrol Ships). In this way, as the attackers have a head Start they will be able to take out some defenses and facilities; however, as the Fleet Ships start to arrive, the attack will be more difficult as it nears the Star Base itself.

I also like the idea of limited re-spawns per force! More for attackers less for defenders!
For the defense arrival, what about random spots at the edge of the maps... or the arrival of the attacking fleet (at the edge of the map) would set off the alert... attackers arrived grouped... defenders arrive at random locations after a 20 second countdown from when they acknowledged the alert.). If people engage quickly... great... if not they show up randomly.

The respawn timer getting longer on defense, as a trade off for more respawns... that has some merit.. Still need to limit the number of respawns on attackers.

As for base defenses... I was thinking the operational assets available from the fleet stores. these would be active for Defenders... but not for attackers.

Side Topic: Ground PVP based on Starbase Incursion... thinking the attacking team would need to reach and hold tactical (this would require a map change to provide paths through the base... all NPC's would fight along with defending team).