Commander
# 11
08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelwy5 View Post
I'm not a position to fire up a copy of the game at the moment, but I'd suspect the most surefire way to check would be to equip a low-mark covariant shield (to reduce capacity and regen as much as possible) and get someone to launch a steady stream of Quantums at your ship. The torp hits at the start should inflict very similar amounts of hull damage to the shot that drops your shield facing, but any shots after your facing completely drops should be ~4 times at strong. Redistributing shields should allow the 'hits on minimal shielding' test to be repeated a few times without too much fuss.

It's easiest to see in PVE versus Borg Heavy Plasma Torps - assuming that you survive being hit by one of these shots, the numbers you see in the damage log should be pretty accurate. (I seem to remember that any hits that manage to completely kill you don't properly display their resistance-reduced numbers in the combat log, but it should be easy enough to survive a shot from Normal Non-Tac Cubes for testing purposes...)
Home from work, so did a quick test to check if the mechanic had changed since my last one.

Looks like it has.

After the remaining damage is deducted from your Shield Capacity in part #2 (b): above, it now gets multiplied back up again before it's deducted from your Hull Capacity. (The upshot is as pottsey5g said earlier: only the "remaining" shield capacity currently applies that 75% Kinetic resistance figure)

Results below.

[Note the two red numbers in each test, the first is the total raw damage inflicted by the torpedo (before any resistances) and the second is what I assume was actually received by the ship (after compensating for the shield's 75% resistance). This second value is lower than the first due to shield and hull damage resistance buffs, the first of which is invisible, but the second of which was listed in my UI as 15.6%]

Torp Hit fully absorbed by shields:

[Combat (Self)] Nikki's Photon Torpedo dealt 719 (3087) shield damage to you.
[Combat (Self)] Nikki deals 343 (4062) Kinetic Damage to you with Photon Torpedo.

Covariant Shield @76 Energy
Total damage Inflicted: 719+343=1062
(Shields absorbed 719. 719*3=2157, so expected total would be ~3219)

----------------------------

Torp Hit partially absorbed by shields (Shields at 388 capacity):

[Combat (Self)] Nikki's Photon Torpedo dealt 388 (1665) shield damage to you.
[Combat (Self)] Nikki deals 1659 (3937) Kinetic Damage to you with Photon Torpedo.

Total damage Inflicted: 388+1659=2047
(Shields absorbed 388. 388*3=1164 so expected total would be ~3211)

Torp Hit partially absorbed by shields (Shields at 194 capacity):

[Combat (Self)] Nikki's Photon Torpedo dealt 194 (833) shield damage to you.
[Combat (Self)] Nikki deals 2355 (3775) Kinetic Damage to you with Photon Torpedo.

Total damage Inflicted: 194+2355=2549
(Shields absorbed 194. 194*3=582 so expected total would be ~3131)

Torp Hit partially absorbed by shields (Shields at 54 capacity):

[Combat (Self)] Nikki's Photon Torpedo dealt 54 (232) shield damage to you.
[Combat (Self)] Nikki deals 2913 (3724) Kinetic Damage to you with Photon Torpedo.

Total damage Inflicted: 54+2913=2967
(Shields absorbed 54. 54*3=162, so expected total would be ~3129)

----------------------------

Torp Hit not absorbed by shields at all (Shields at 0 capacity):

[Combat (Self)] Nikki deals 3369 (3990) Kinetic Damage to you with Photon Torpedo.

Total damage Inflicted: 3369

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]

Last edited by maelwy5; 08-31-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Captain
# 12
08-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Haven't done ANY of the math but run projectile skill=6, 2 blue torpedo DOFFs, HY2 and spread 1 and 1 mkX ZP console. The damage from HY applies only to facing shield where spread applies to multiple shields so it's obviously weaker when only the facing shield is weakened on the target. The spread seems to be most effective when it's fired into a down shield and only a single target is in range.

Now here's the nice part- when leading the attack on a single target with HY, 1 or two lone torpedo shots can be made before spread becomes available THEN 2 more lone shots can be made before HY is available again. I can normally get 12 or more quantums on target the first minute of an engagement. This means a Chel gret cruiser gets dead before the first pass is made @ full impulse.

For the life my I can't figure out why spread is preferred over HY, I love HY and rarely use spread.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf

Last edited by lordmalak1; 08-31-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 13
08-31-2012, 04:35 PM
spread is extremely useful in doing AoE daage against unshielded targets. like big minefields or cloaked ships. especially cloaked ships if they are near one of yoru torp targets they will get the splash damage of the main targets attack.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 14
08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Just beware that when using spread, you will pull aggro from EVERYTHING that you hit, which can lead to you being shot by half a dozen enemies at once if you fail to kill them quickly. This is a good thing if you are a strong tanker, but probably bad if you are fragile.
Commander
# 15
09-01-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm primarily an energy weapon user on my Fed, but this thread is very useful for my KDF, as I'm trying to focus it more toward kinetic. (If you can call 2 torps on a Raptor "focusing on kinetic". Still trying things out.)

Please, keep the stats rolling in if anyone has time to parse the logs.

*Off Topic: This is what I like about the STO forums; the number of flamers and trollers are actually LESS than the peeps that are actually trying to help out w/providing information. I may not be a fan of the "new" PWE forums (that's an understatement, BTW), but at least most of the playerbase has stuck w/it and is still helping w/advice.

A proud member of Sinfully Sexy. Join us.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
09-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Thank you maelwy5 for running the tests. I just got home and have not had time, guess I do not need to now.
Commander
# 17
09-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsey5g View Post
Thank you maelwy5 for running the tests. I just got home and have not had time, guess I do not need to now.
No worries.

How it works has definitely changed in the last few months - when I last tested it (End of May? Start of June?) the kinetic damage inflicted on your ship was being reduced by 75% from any remaining shields, but leftover damage after the shields "ran out" got left at this reduced value and didn't get multiplied up again before it was subtracted from the hull.

I suspect this might have been stealthfixed either with Season 6 or in amongst all the other mine/torpedo changes in the patch on 9th August...

Either way, is good to know just how things are "currently" working!

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]