Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,748
Since the Regent came out, and I bought it, I've been looking at the torpedo launcher, and on my cruisers and sci ships, I find myself using it more and more as an aft weapon (if not using mines of course).

Now, I'm not saying this isn't a bad fore weapon, in fact, it's excellent! Especially with a single-cannon and turret build, makes it SO much easier to keep all your weapons on an enemy, doubly so in a more nimble cruiser like the D'kora, Galor, or Excelsior. I use that set-up on my Excelsior.

But, I also feel like, if you aren't using mines, a torpedo in the back, won't get as fired as often, unless that's the point, like a tricobalt of course.

Still, most cruisers are gonna be using beam arrays for the most part, and so they will broadside. For me personally, I like having a bit more punch in my front torpedo, or having it be a 'specialty' torpedo, like a chroniton for example. So, even as a broadsider, a torpedo won't be fired as much, even the wide-angle, but in turn, neither would an aft torpedo, so, why not keep a normal one up front, with the wide-angle in the back?

I don't feel like anything is truly lost, since to use it, you just have to turn a little bit more. I mean, a lot of the time, you're having to turn a lot to fire, particularly for broadsides, at your enemy anyways in a cruiser.

There's a lot more I could say, but I'm just curious, what do you all think?

Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,197
# 2
08-29-2012, 06:40 AM
actually. in broadsides the quantum would fire every time its cooldown came up. i have a char who runs the ferengi rapid fire missiles and the wide angled quantum, and when i broadside one of them is pretty much always firing. the ferengi one mostly because it's cooldown procs trigger a lot for me.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 447
# 3
09-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Put it on the Armitage. CRF+HYT3+PDC+the torpedo console = bye bye whatever you are shooting at. hell it might even put a decent dent in Donatra
Sensors indicate a caitian carrier, Sir. Excellent. Ready the Catnip Torpedoes for a full spread.

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 152
# 4
09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Since the Regent came out, and I bought it, I've been looking at the torpedo launcher, and on my cruisers and sci ships, I find myself using it more and more as an aft weapon (if not using mines of course).

Now, I'm not saying this isn't a bad fore weapon, in fact, it's excellent! Especially with a single-cannon and turret build, makes it SO much easier to keep all your weapons on an enemy, doubly so in a more nimble cruiser like the D'kora, Galor, or Excelsior. I use that set-up on my Excelsior.

But, I also feel like, if you aren't using mines, a torpedo in the back, won't get as fired as often, unless that's the point, like a tricobalt of course.

Still, most cruisers are gonna be using beam arrays for the most part, and so they will broadside. For me personally, I like having a bit more punch in my front torpedo, or having it be a 'specialty' torpedo, like a chroniton for example. So, even as a broadsider, a torpedo won't be fired as much, even the wide-angle, but in turn, neither would an aft torpedo, so, why not keep a normal one up front, with the wide-angle in the back?

I don't feel like anything is truly lost, since to use it, you just have to turn a little bit more. I mean, a lot of the time, you're having to turn a lot to fire, particularly for broadsides, at your enemy anyways in a cruiser.

There's a lot more I could say, but I'm just curious, what do you all think?
For a lot of cruiser builds, putting points into projectile weapons is still a waste, but for those that use torpedoes, yeah why not. It will probably up your forward damage a little bit and still lets you broadside with torps.

I've found that the Wide Angle Launcher for me is way more useful put on my Nebula though. PvE that is. 2xTorp Spreads + 1xFaW 2 + Rare Beam DOFF and you'll get some serious AoE with it. This way I don't have to fly 1 of those silly looking torp sci boats to deal damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy904 View Post
Put it on the Armitage. CRF+HYT3+PDC+the torpedo console = bye bye whatever you are shooting at. hell it might even put a decent dent in Donatra
But why? Escorts definitly don't need 180 degree to use torpedoes. Just stay with the standard torp and get way more damage.
-----------------------
decker999
Join Date: Aug 2010
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 658
# 5
09-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker03 View Post

But why? Escorts definitly don't need 180 degree to use torpedoes. Just stay with the standard torp and get way more damage.

I use the WA quantum on my Recluse and it's a mediocre fire support weapon. It is more useful than the thermionic torpedo that comes with it and the broadsiding ability is useful.

And on the closing paragraph to the post above - indeed, 180 degree torpedoes have IMO little purpose being on an Escort/BoP as the turnrate is high enough that I normally mount one single torpedo launcher in the rear and HY2 or TS1 that for spike damage on shieldless targets.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 273
# 6
09-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm currently taking a break from STO, but before I did, I decided to use it as the aft-quantum torpedo launcher on my RSV. It was kinda nice being able to catch people and things with kinetic damage without having to wait until they were all the way in my rear firing arc.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 7
09-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Torpedo Spread.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:50 AM.