Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Community Moderator
# 21
09-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantrinidy View Post
Dan was on STOked long ago said it was a bug in one of the earlier episodes and its was not even a issue in the early days of sto the cloak worked fine contacts would not decloak your ship at all
And people were bypassing story content as a result, causing broken missions, about which they'd complain.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Community Moderator
# 22
09-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
And people were bypassing story content as a result, causing broken missions, about which they'd complain.
True, but then he also said in the Raptr Q&A that the 'new cloak system' is designed to work with the flyover Boff contacts which don't decloak you.

#GoingAroundInCircles
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 23
09-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
True, but then he also said in the Raptr Q&A that the 'new cloak system' is designed to work with the flyover Boff contacts which don't decloak you.

#GoingAroundInCircles
And that just means manually changing non-essential messages to flyover dialogue.

If it spawns an enemy, you'll still get decloaked. If it marks the beginning of a new phase of a match, you get decloaked.

Cloak is intended as a novelty option, the equivalent of maybe an ensign BO power. It's not SUPPOSED to be the anchor of a playstyle.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantrinidy View Post
Remember about a year ago when the cloak broke and Dan said "we have to go map by map to fix it, will take a long time but it will get done" and now he says "oh it was always meant to be like that" this really makes me mad as a KDF player who uses cloak i Kerrat.

Ps. This is my first post in over two years I though i need to expose this lie, as if we don't remember.
Guess he expects you to have forgotten what he said in the past. Go figure.
Career Officer
# 25
09-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupguy86 View Post
Guess he expects you to have forgotten what he said in the past. Go figure.
Yeah, you are not supposed to remember what he said. BTW, this isnt the first time something like this has happened b4

Yeah, that's right.
Career Officer
# 26
09-08-2012, 03:16 PM
The problem with Cryptic's stance on cloaking is that it is sometimes a problem even in PVE, one example off the top of my head is "blood of the empire" just as you get within weapons range of the first Fek'ihri ships, an interaction box pops up that you have to use to make the enemy ships targetable. This breaks the cloak you were about to make use of. You won't have time to recloak, and if you wait for the box to show up you won't be able to cloak.

We have to report every occurance of something like this happening?

That does indeed sound like a cop out, and are we to expect this will be taken care of right away? That doesn't quite fit Cryptic's past performance when dealing with bugs on the Klingon faction. In this same misison "blood of the empire" there is a ground portion where you resolved the mission in the interior of a building. The central chamber of this building actually has stick figure place markers for where graphics are suppose to be, but aren't. The central chamber has no walls or floor and has been that way for as long as I've played the game. I know i've bug reported it and i'm sure other's have as well but where's the fix?

If we are to except that the cloak bug is now suddenly working as intended then we need assurance that bug reports on the KDF side are going to be acknowledged and dealt with in a timely fashion.

btw: would also like to know why "a light in the dark" last of the Undine front gives Mk XI rewards on the Fed side but only Mk X rewards on the KDF side.

Last edited by claransa; 09-08-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Career Officer
# 27
09-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claransa View Post
The problem with Cryptic's stance on cloaking is that it is sometimes a problem even in PVE, one example off the top of my head is "blood of the empire" just as you get within weapons range of the first Fek'ihri ships, an interaction box pops up that you have to use to make the enemy ships targetable. This breaks the cloak you were about to make use of. You won't have time to recloak, and if you wait for the box to show up you won't be able to cloak.

That does indeed sound like a cop out, and are we to expect this will be taken care of right away? That doesn't quite fit Cryptic's past performance when dealing with bugs on the Klingon faction. In this same misison "blood of the empire" there is a ground portion where you resolved the mission in the interior of a building. The central chamber of this building actually has stick figure place markers for where graphics are suppose to be, but aren't. The central chamber has no walls or floor and has been that way for as long as I've played the game. I know i've bug reported it and i'm sure other's have as well but where's the fix?

If we are to except that the cloak bug is now suddenly working as intended then we need assurance that bug reports on the KDF side are going to be acknowledged and dealt with in a timely fashion.

btw: would also like to know why "a light in the dark" last of the Undine front gives Mk XI rewards on the Fed side but only Mk X rewards on the KDF side.
In regardds to your last question Claransa..."Working as intended" rofl

Yeah, that's right.
Captain
# 28
09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
This is another one of those cases where the initial comments about it being a bug were something I said players weren't reading closely enough.

The bug was specific cases where it happened.

Claok is not intended to allow people to get the jump on or avoid storyline content. That's what Cryptic said two years ago. Everytime I cited that, people said I was crazy and that that was a bad design.

But this is really the first time Cryptic commented on the overall design in two years.

Prior to this, every comment was about specific cases where it happened... and now we just have Dan explaining WHY the focus was on specific cases.
If this is the case, make mission specific content for cloaked ships. There are many Romulan and Klingon storyline missions where cloaking should be used but isn't and vice versa. Oh, but fortuitiuosly we have that nearby micro-nebula (huh?) that we can hide in while we observe the Romulan ship (through a dust cloud that blocks sensors).

Don't break cloaking, make it work with the game in a reasonable and logical manner that supports the game. These changes are both lazy and poorly thought out. Donatra in STF, for example, is just annoying. If she starts the end portion of the mission and alphas the team into oblivion, man, that's what cloak IS FOR! But repeatedly having her cloak for long minutes in the middle of the battle just just because someone got too close disrupts the battle, is an annoying waste of time, and is illogical if she has the upper hand. Now, if someone is actually prepared and has some method available to detect cloak, then make her unable to cloak once detected. That is logical.
Just say no to ARC
Career Officer
# 29
09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claransa View Post

I think the thing is, PvE is NOT designed around the idea of cloak providing an alpha strike. It would potentially break "Blood of The Empire" if you got one.

Alpha strike via cloak can cause missions to be incompletable.
Career Officer
# 30
09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
If this is the case, make mission specific content for cloaked ships. There are many Romulan and Klingon storyline missions where cloaking should be used but isn't and vice versa. Oh, but fortuitiuosly we have that nearby micro-nebula (huh?) that we can hide in while we observe the Romulan ship (through a dust cloud that blocks sensors).
That's because of how the missions and code are designed. Either everyone gets an alpha strike or no one does. It's not really workable to have it designed for some people to get without branching mission objectives every time use of a cloak is possible.

Now... That could be done in theory but it would involve creating mission branches that trigger for certain ships and not the actual cloak power.