Career Officer
I know the other thread is a sticky (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ad.php?t=76799) but its an old archived post and can no longer be edited. I have a new version made, and that post has 2000+ replies, so maybe its time for a new post to be stickied :-)

What the heck is the Unofficial Mac version?
Its a mac .app you can put the Windows version inside of, and run it on Mac OS X without having to install or use Windows! The final product looks and works like a normal Mac .app (for the most part). This download is a "wrapper" not the full game. You will have to either copy your installed version from Windows inside of it (fastest), or reinstall the game into it and do full patching and everything... More specifically, it is a Wineskin wrapper.

just a big note...

This is not made by or supported in any way by Cryptic Studios, Perfect World, or anyone associated with them... this is entirely fan made

System Requirements are the same as Windows version, since it uses the Windows version
It runs on Mac OS X 10.6, OS X 10.7, and OS X 10.8
Intel GMA950 and X3100 GPUs will not work correctly, or at all, but most other AMD, Nvidia, and Intel HD graphics should work.
Since the 1.6.0 update, GPUs are untested, and the wrapper is no longer using X11, so it is currently unknown what will not work right.

***Download link is at the bottom of this post***

If your crashing in Earth Space Dock, you need to try lowering down some graphic settings at least temporarily... turning on half resolution usually works while at ESD, maybe turning off other graphics settings... annoying I know...

Bajoran Fire Caves
Weird graphics bug here, that turns the screen gray. How to fix it? Set your graphics setting off of custom settings and set it down to bare minimum low settings... then you should be able to see everything. You can then turn all your graphics settings back up and it should remain fine while your there...

Click here to get STO Unofficial Mac Version 1.5.1 (Uses X11)
Click here to get STO Unofficial Mac Version 1.6.0 (Uses experimental Wine Mac Driver)

(Direct download links hosted through Dropbox.com)
The download comes with directions on how to use this wrapper
double click the .zip file to unzip it, it will give you a folder with the wrapper, and directions.

Backup Download Link at Mediafire-->All STO UMV versions made are available here

***MAJOR NOTE!
If you have mouse movement and click issues, and /or typing issues, try this...
  • Open the launcher.
  • Click on Options on the top right.
  • In Advanced command line, enter the following:
  • -enablerawinputsupport 0
  • Click OK and launch the game as usual.

Last edited by therealdoh123; 05-23-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Captain
# 2
09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
New thread is a good idea. Thanks.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Career Officer
# 3
09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Cool. Thanks for all the hard work in getting STO to work on mac.
Ensign
# 4 Help please!
09-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey, i'm really glad you've come out with this port. However, I'm having trouble. The game launches fine and everything, but every NPC and the player character have no textures and, up close, I cannot see their model. More often than not I have strange graphical issues such as the screen turns red or blue ect.
Space, however, works perfectly fine!

I would appreciate some help! Thanks
Career Officer
# 5
09-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunsmith34 View Post
Hey, i'm really glad you've come out with this port. However, I'm having trouble. The game launches fine and everything, but every NPC and the player character have no textures and, up close, I cannot see their model. More often than not I have strange graphical issues such as the screen turns red or blue ect.
Space, however, works perfectly fine!

I would appreciate some help! Thanks
System specs? Not sure what that would be off the top of my head.
Ensign
# 6 Can not log into STO at all.
09-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Hello,

First of all, I just wanted to thank you for making STO work on OSX. I appreciate all the work you've put into it.

My problem I'm having is that STO crashes at random. Sometimes it'll go for a long time without crashing, and other times it'll just keep crashing over and over again. I never know when it's going to crash.

For the past few days (since Sunday, 9 Sep), I've been completely unable to log in at all. I click on STO, it tries to boot up, and then nothing; just a blank black screen (where the mouse cursor turns into an X) with a blank white rectangular area in the upper left corner of the screen where the log-in fields are supposed to be (where you enter your username & password). Since I'm unable to go any further than that, I just press "Esc" and that usually shuts it down. If that doesn't work and it's completely unresponsive to any controls, I have to shut my Mac down completely and re-start it.

I'm using a 2008 24" iMac running 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, with a 2.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's an older iMac, but it still works fine and can play STO with Wineskin (when it's not crashing). But now I can't even get into STO at all.

Do you know if Cryptic might have made any recent changes to STO that may have caused it to break compatibility with Wineskin? Or is there a newer build of Wineskin that I need to download in order for it to work again? Any help you could provide I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance...
Rihannsu
# 7
09-12-2012, 12:58 AM
fully support the new sticky, how is the new build comparing to the last version?
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
# 8
09-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywest21 View Post
My problem I'm having is that STO crashes at random. Sometimes it'll go for a long time without crashing, and other times it'll just keep crashing over and over again. I never know when it's going to crash.

For the past few days (since Sunday, 9 Sep), I've been completely unable to log in at all. I click on STO, it tries to boot up, and then nothing; just a blank black screen (where the mouse cursor turns into an X) with a blank white rectangular area in the upper left corner of the screen where the log-in fields are supposed to be (where you enter your username & password). Since I'm unable to go any further than that, I just press "Esc" and that usually shuts it down. If that doesn't work and it's completely unresponsive to any controls, I have to shut my Mac down completely and re-start it.

I'm using a 2008 24" iMac running 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, with a 2.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's an older iMac, but it still works fine and can play STO with Wineskin (when it's not crashing). But now I can't even get into STO at all.

Do you know if Cryptic might have made any recent changes to STO that may have caused it to break compatibility with Wineskin? Or is there a newer build of Wineskin that I need to download in order for it to work again? Any help you could provide I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance...
occasionally (pretty rare) files in STO get corrupt... happens on Windows or Mac. You might need to do a STO reinstall, or try a fresh new copy of the wrapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
fully support the new sticky, how is the new build comparing to the last version?
its using a test version of Wineskin 2.5.7 which has some bug fixes over the previous version, making things a bit more stable. Most of my time went into making a new version of WineskinX11 built in, which fixes many issues... which in STO, so far has helped going in and out of fullscreen not freezing the graphics up nearly as often on many machines, and allowing it to work without having to use Override->Fullscreen setting in Wineskin, so things just work auto and you can set all the resolution stuff in game, and the launcher window is really a window and not fullscreen yet... And its easier now to just hit Cmd+Enter to toggle fullscreen instead of Cmd+Opt+A.
Ensign
# 9
09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
OK, I'll try re-installing it and see if that works. Thanks.
Ensign
# 10
09-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
System specs? Not sure what that would be off the top of my head.
I've got an older i mac. 2GB ram, ATI Radeon x1600.