Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Captain
# 61
09-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoengen View Post
Yes I could grind the hell out of this game to get the tokens, but that doesn't change that they are overpriced.
They're overpriced because every single player here can simply play the game and get everything in the C-Store from a 10% to 100% discount.

Cryptic understands that for every person buying a Respec there's one or more getting it for free. Their income on Respecs isn't $5.00 per. It's averaged between everyone who pays $5.00 and who pays 0 dollars.
Ensign
# 62
09-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
If you consider playing working, then yes. But playing is just playing. Of course I remember playing this game for nearly 2 years and they never gave me a red cent to buy anything I wanted from the C-Store.

See, the thing about the FTP model is that it's difficult to do anything at end-game that doesn't earn you Zen. STFs = Zen. Dailies = Zen. PvP = Zen, etc.

You're making money just by playing. What you choose to do with that money is your own business. Maybe you'll save it for a new ship, maybe you'll buy Respecs, maybe you'll buy a new Uniform. Whatever you do with it, it's still free money - something we didn't get for just playing prior to Jan 17th.
well you let it sound like it was work (about your 4 VA's that you only play for 2 hours each in order to gain Zen) and even then i would remind you (as a fellow student of the economics, at least part) on costs of opportunity, if you put such a price on something like a respec then other alternatives will still look more attractive to the player (sure do for me)

and also my point from my former post, that because of my above mentioned point there is not much incentive for 1-character players (like me) to buy tactical ships or carriers if that'd mean haveing to buy respec tokens all the time. and this is where cryptic could earn real money from players actually buying Zen instead of just realocating their dilithium into Zen points for minor purchases.

in my eyes no matter how you view it, respec tokens do not earn them the money they could do.
Ensign
# 63
09-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
They're overpriced because every single player here can simply play the game and get everything in the C-Store from a 10% to 100% discount.

Cryptic understands that for every person buying a Respec there's one or more getting it for free. Their income on Respecs isn't $5.00 per. It's averaged between everyone who pays $5.00 and who pays 0 dollars.
Yes, of course that is correct, but they knew that before they made the decision to introduce the dil-exchange.
And I think that there are people out there who don't like to grind Z-Points and to them everything (or at least most) in the store seems overpriced.
While what you are saying is correct, I still think they should adjust their prices to cater to both player-styles.
Captain
# 64
09-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Yes, of course that is correct, but they knew that before they made the decision to introduce the dil-exchange.
And I think that there are people out there who don't like to grind Z-Points and to them everything (or at least most) in the store seems overpriced.
While what you are saying is correct, I still think they should adjust their prices to cater to both player-styles.
Of course they knew it! That's why the raised the prices.

But they're not going to have two C-Stores: one for the people who earn Dilithium and one for the people who just want immediate gratification without any play-effort.

STO has one of the easiest play-to-dollars systems I've ever played in any FTP MMO. In August, alone, I made 4,900 Zen by playing. I haven't purchased any CP/Zen from Cryptic in nearly 8 months and I buy whatever I want from the C-Store just from doing Dailies, STFS, etc: the same things I was doing before FTP. I mean heck, you can do Elite STFs for Dilithium and then even trade the STF credits for additional Dlithium. Cryptic's practically throwing it at people who play.
Ensign
# 65
09-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Of course they knew it! That's why the raised the prices.

But they're not going to have two C-Stores: one for the people who earn Dilithium and one for the people who just want immediate gratification without any play-effort.

STO has one of the easiest play-to-dollars systems I've ever played in any FTP MMO. In August, alone, I made 4,900 Zen by playing. I haven't purchased any CP/Zen from Cryptic in nearly 8 months and I buy whatever I want from the C-Store just from doing Dailies, STFS, etc: the same things I was doing before FTP. I mean heck, you can do Elite STFs for Dilithium and then even trade the STF credits for additional Dlithium. Cryptic's practically throwing it at people who play.
Ok you know what i mean, I know what you mean, but i think I just need to clarify my position a little:

The people who don't like to grind DIL (count me in here) would have to do exactly that to get the store items (like the tokens) OR would have to buy them overpriced, because there are people who do the grinding. And that is not a good nor fair implementation. That's all I'm saying, ok maybe adjusting the prices is not the best solution to this problem, but that is the solution I'm seeing right now (at least it would be a solution for the people who would like to pay real money).
Captain
# 66
09-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Ok you know what i mean, I know what you mean, but i think I just need to clarify my position a little:

The people who don't like to grind DIL (count me in here) would have to do exactly that to get the store items (like the tokens) OR would have to buy them overpriced, because there are people who do the grinding. And that is not a good nor fair implementation. That's all I'm saying, ok maybe adjusting the prices is not the best solution to this problem, but that is the solution I'm seeing right now (at least it would be a solution for the people who would like to pay real money).
I suppose I have to ask: what are you doing with your characters when they get to VA? If you're not earning Dilithium what else are you doing? Doing Foundry pays Dilithium. STFs pay Dilithium. PvP pays Dilithium. Dailies pay Dilithium. Outside of Replay what else are you doing that isn't giving you Dilithium? Do you just stop playing them or delete them when they get to VA?

You don't have to "grind" Dilithium to earn it. The game just throws it at you. How much you want to earn is up to you. Just doing the standard 8,000 Dilithium per day will earn you around 1,500 Zen per month. If you only do half of that it's still around 750 Zen in a month - and that's a free Respec and a Key or two.

I get that you don't want to "grind," but even very, very, very casually playing a VA will earn you enough Zen to get the Respec at the $2.50 price you're willing to pay. No grinding required: just playing your VA.