Captain
# 21
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimeo97 View Post
There is no difference. Hit points are hit points. You're simply getting hit more, and faster, in your Nebula.

How fast are you usually going in each one? How are you flying them?

Are you going three-quarter to full speed, broadside in your cruiser, along with its engine power bonus? Then you have a higher defense bonus, and are therefore getting hit less often.

If you're constantly slowing your Nebula, or even reversing it, in order to bring targets into your front 90* for some of your sci powers, or running lower engine power in favor of aux, then your bonus defense is dropping, and you're taking more hits.

In the latter case, it may seem that your shield is less efficient or weaker, but it's simply the math of accuracy vs. defense that's getting you.
Actually the Nebula fly's faster because its lighter and it turns faster so I don't have to reverse and stop to put things in my target arc. Only the Galaxy is stuck with cursed turn rate.
Captain
# 22
09-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
They have exact same shields, I can't share same consoles because they are from different characters so they are bound. I'm am fighting Borg's cubes and spheres in Kar'rat, which are just NPC's.
oh well, but you said something else in your first post.

Quote:
The Nebula has Covarient XII CAP and Plasma resistant, while the Galaxy has Covarient Cap 3 with no special resistance.

Explain to me why my Galaxy's 12,308 HP is better than 14,500 HP?
and again, with the data you provided up to now, the question cannot be answered.

what MK ist the galaxy's shield?
what are the exact consoles (those contribute to resistance and shields) you are using on both ships? (well that one was answered more or less)
BOFF powers?
DOFFs?

also i'm not convinced that kerrat is the right place to test those things.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 09-09-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Captain
# 23
09-09-2012, 06:46 AM
My mistake. I recently looked and they have same type shield. Covariant [ap] [CAP]x2 MK XII plasma resistant. I'm am testing resiliance without BOFF power so much because of course the Galaxy is mostly ENG based and Nebula Science based. The only power we can test is EPS 2 and Tac team 1

Galaxy:

Shield cap 12,308 hp
shield power at 77
1 purple field emitter
2 blue field generators (capacity boosting)

Nebula:

Shield cap 14,500 hp
shield power at 75
1 blue field emitter
1 blue field generator(capacity boosting)

Small difference in shield power but should the difference be so drastic in performance?[/quote]
Commander
# 24
09-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
My mistake. I recently looked and they have same type shield. Covariant [ap] [CAP]x2 MK XII plasma resistant. I'm am testing resiliance without BOFF power so much because of course the Galaxy is mostly ENG based and Nebula Science based. The only power we can test is EPS 2 and Tac team 1

Galaxy:

Shield cap 12,308 hp
shield power at 77
1 purple field emitter

Nebula:

Shield cap 14,500 hp
shield power at 75
1 blue field emitter

Small difference in shield power but should the difference be so drastic in performance?

Do yourself a favor, and actually look at your engine power setting for each. Then open the paper doll UI while you're messing around in space, and look at your defense numbers as you play each ship. You seem to think I'm joking, but I really do believe that's where you're going to find your answer. The only thing that makes one ship lose shield points faster than another is getting hit more often. So you either have low defense, or higher aggro, in one ship versus the other.
Captain
# 25
09-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:

Galaxy:

Shield cap 12,308 hp
shield power at 77
1 purple field emitter

Nebula:

Shield cap 14,500 hp
shield power at 75
1 blue field emitter

Small difference in shield power but should the difference be so drastic in performance?
[/quote]

i'm confused by the description you gave of the shield [ap] means antiproton resistance [cap]x2 means that are already 3 modifier...if it had plasma resistance too it would mean there would be a fourth [pla] modifier.

but i think it is rather [cap]x2 [pla] anyway. (just wanted to point out, that the maco shield XI is identical to that one...only it comes with a little less SP and the proc)

what is still missing, is the skillpoints invested in shield emitter, and schield systems. and your exact resistance values.
also the deflector you are using is important, if it has the 2 stats on it or not.

I still believe that your observation was just subjective, since kerrat is not the place to do accurate testing that could determine if there was some sort of inherent resistance to the galaxy that the nebula lacks.
But without the exact skill build and stats and the BOFF powers and consoles (also in the tactical and engi section)
i can only start guessing...and right now i'm guessing it was a subjective observation of yours and the nebula shields would hold out longer against plasma weapons, but for some unknown reason in that instance they did not.

PS: i'm not sure if the field generator on the nebula is any good, since it used to be the case that the shield modifier of sci ships did not stack with that type of console. But i may be wrong about it.
Go pro or go home