Lieutenant
# 1 Cities, Walls, and Frame Rates
09-09-2012, 05:43 PM
For a bit now I've been working on my first Foundry mission - though with the all too frequent "Server Not Responding" errors cropping up, I'm not sure if I'll be playing STO, much less finishing the mission - and I've run into a dilemma.

The mission in particular centers on a Federation colony at the Fed-Klingon border. The colony's been around roughly fifty years, and part of the mission takes place on the colony's capital city. Here's the map of the city as is (remember, it's still WIP):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...o_city_wip.png
When I do a "run-through" of the city in the Foundry on the normal settings, I notice a incredibly decreased framerate- it runs at about 20+ FPS or so. When I turn Screen-space Ambient Occlusion off, however, I get a noticable better framerate (around 30-40 FPS).

So, this makes me wonder about two issues:
1. City walls. From my experimenting in the foundry, it seems that the sliver/metallic "generic ship" wall (I forget exactly which) would be the best choice aesthetically, as their coloring does help give the city/colony a "Federation" flair, but compared to, say, their Building Block counterparts, they have a lot of "things" that could slow down the framerate. Should I go with the "Ship" walls, or make do with the simpler (and thus possibly frame-saving), but less pleasing "block" walls?
2. Given the low FPS of the city already, I'm thinking of putting an OOC "advisory" right before you go to the map. However, the very next map after the city is a custom interior map, and IMO it looks a lot better with Screen-space Ambient Occlusion's "shadows" than without, but it seems that putting a "feel free to highten your video settings" message might seem too clunky. Or it might not.

So, what do you think I should do about these issues?
Rihannsu
# 2
09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Anything "shiny" will reduce frame rates.

Outdoor maps seem more like something that would be less shiny to me.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 3
09-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Anything "shiny" will reduce frame rates.

Outdoor maps seem more like something that would be less shiny to me.
Unrestricted views hinder framerates... and I think Foundry walls may count as unrestricted since they only marginally seem to block collision and line of sight fire.
Career Officer
# 4
09-10-2012, 11:19 AM
As far as I know, the Foundry team recently added some new block wall textures. There's stone, concrete, metal, even brick. (Need to confirm that last one.)