Ensign
# 1 Science Ability: Choatic Space
09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
A science ability that can hold, confuss, and do kinetic damage to a ships. I got the idea from an episode on Star Trek Voyager where they were caught in Choatic Space and the ship was almost crushed. It would capture multiple enemies like in a web until the effect was over. The confussion would happen on the player screen, so they would not know whether to turn left or right. If there are other players near the target they would get caught in the Space as well. It would operate as a AoE effect, and it would affect a single target. There can also be a doff that can add Mini Choatic Space Ruptures that if a enemy run into it they get caught in it as well, like a mine field. The move would be a commander lvl bridge officer move for science officers.
Captain
# 2
09-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphaser24 View Post
A science ability that can hold, confuss, and do kinetic damage to a ships. I got the idea from an episode on Star Trek Voyager where they were caught in Choatic Space and the ship was almost crushed. It would capture multiple enemies like in a web until the effect was over. The confussion would happen on the player screen, so they would not know whether to turn left or right. If there are other players near the target they would get caught in the Space as well. It would operate as a AoE effect, and it would affect a single target. There can also be a doff that can add Mini Choatic Space Ruptures that if a enemy run into it they get caught in it as well, like a mine field. The move would be a commander lvl bridge officer move for science officers.
So its like an AOE Matrix?

While I don't mind that, I really hope STO rethinks how CC works in the game. I'm all for CC being feasible, like spammable Repulsors, Tractors, that work on NPCs for the full duration. This would allow for more complex pve gameplay as you don't always have to FIRE ALL WEAPONS out of everything.

The counter to that would be diminishing returns when used on players. This is used in ******** pve vs pvp. The following is a proposal, but I'm certain that many would enjoy a nod to their experienced engineering crews should you get a buff [Attempting to Compensate: ______!] each time you get hit by a CC ability, and when stacked enough makes you immune until it falls off instead of getting refreshed.

This should not however affect drains, because that would just be mean to the poor Science careers. And since when did a ship ever break out of a drain by compensating for it beyond rerouting power?

Sure, you'd be covered in buffs once CC abilities return in force (I know that carrier pets will quickly force you into complete CC immunity and mess with other Science players), but if this can help synergistically open the game to better play, I'm all for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 09-10-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
09-10-2012, 05:29 AM
A merging of Gravity Well and Scramble Sensors?
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Lieutenant
# 4
09-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
A merging of Gravity Well and Scramble Sensors?
it would appear so but w/o seeing alies as enemies. even the Doff power of it suggests it.

so probably cryptic would dismiss the idea. u might sell it if it would affect alies that get close as well. not t mention it would be more realistic.
Career Officer
# 5
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I think The Scrambled Sensors/ grav well kind of idea is neat. I have seen this hit in other games to chaos if they did an actual chaos situation. Up goes down, down goes up, left goes right etc With everyone showing up as an enemy on the screen. At a Commander skill level I would have it as well and it would affect allies if they are caught in its Rift. I think the chaos that would be ensured would be a trust test to the captains caught in its effects, Knowing what ship types to target and who your friend or enemies are if there are multipleplayers on the screen that have the same ships. For ex: Multiple players had a quv, or a defiant, knowing who to shoot at with the F/F radar disabled on your ship and having to know your wingmans colors on your ship would add more immersion.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Empire Veteran
# 6
09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptapollo View Post
it would appear so but w/o seeing alies as enemies. even the Doff power of it suggests it.

so probably cryptic would dismiss the idea. u might sell it if it would affect alies that get close as well. not t mention it would be more realistic.
SO more a merge or Gravity Well and a AoE Jam Sensors?
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP