Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,435
# 31
09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Cleaning that up a bit...

They could group these items the way enemy groups work.

The interact object (which is costumable) is attached to the AoE respawn redirect.

Then the destination respawn is included as part of the object group.

Net effect is, you have a teleport object with an adjustable radius and a destination respawn object attached to the teleport item.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 47
# 32
09-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Lev, I'd rather have teleporter-like Location Markers.
____________________________________________
The poster formerly known as LordOfPit, and his blog.
* Dec 2007 (CO)
* Oct 2008 (STO)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,506
# 33
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Neverwinter has a teleport tab next to the Details and the *gasp* Traps tab. Don't know how it works yet.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,806
# 34
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
That gives me an idea, couldn't you build a hallway from that turbolift, to another turbolift? Then when you get to the second turbolift it sends you to the next area
You could try, i'm not sure if it'll let you build in the empty space in between, but it is certainly worth a try. I foresee two problems: A) It would have to be a fairly long hallway, because after you teleport to it, you will need to run far enough away from that spawn point in order to be teleported to a new one on the second section, which would probably seem weird to the player, and B) we have no TOS assets to play with, so making the hallway not seem wildly out of place on TOS ship would be an issue.

However, I just thought of something. What if the whole "hallway" was the player experiencing what it is like to be inside a transporter beam? Remember how we got to go inside a beam with Barcley? Maybe with FX we could get the hallway to look like that. I'm thinking maybe using the devidian portals or some combination of effects. You just have an objective that says "move to this reach marker to rematerialize.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,550
# 35
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxenite View Post
I think I tried those at first and even in a crisscrossed pattern there were times when my character simply stood locked between two walls unable to move.
One thing I noticed in my testing is that the object MUST occupy where your char's FEET are located. If it doesn't then the game won't notice that you're suddenly inside an object. I had this come up one time when the object was raised above the ground slightly. Or in cases where the object that spawned didn't have a solid interior. If the game thought you were inside a hollow object it wouldn't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
That gives me an idea, couldn't you build a hallway from that turbolift, to another turbolift? Then when you get to the second turbolift it sends you to the next area
A Hallway that goes through black space? Maybe, but... MOST sections of black space cannot be used as a spawn point of any kind.

What happens if the closest spawn point is inaccessible? Say you were to spawn a giant rock on top of it or one of my favorite 40-foot stone cubes?

But yeah, i'd rather have a "warp to location" function.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,435
# 36
09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxenite View Post
Lev, I'd rather have teleporter-like Location Markers.
Yeah. The big thing is, I'd imagine the Foundry code trick here (behind the scenes) would involve:

1) Trigger a respawn.
2) Temporarily changing the spawn point when triggering the respawn. (So the respawn location changes just before the respawn in forced and is adjusted back to its previous value a split second after the respawn unless the new location is in the area of effect radius of a new spawn point)

I think that's really what this trick illustrates Cryptic could do relatively easily at least.

I think you'd need a special category of interactable object that does the work of toggling and activating the respawn (which could be given an invisible costume or placed beneath the floor or be costumed as any detail object). For simplicity's sake, I'd have the trigger object bundled with the temporary respawn location so that dropping one always drops both and deleting one always deletes both, making them linked like NPC enemy groups are.

Assuming the respawn used is the same respawn used by dead players, it would force any BOs to the new spawn point while NOT forcing any players to do the same).

It's actually all very doable the more I think about it.

The BIGGEST issue I can see is that we need persistently interactable objects or it has no multiplayer appeal and it's not a reliable back and forth jump. I'd also rather have an official means of doing this because this trick is reliant on Cryptic keeping in the forced respawn due to collisions and would look weird to a 3rd party observer 50 feet away.

I actually DO R&D a lot of the kind of tricks that folks like Kirkfat and Pendra use but I tend to actively avoid using them if they would break with multiplayer. (Some tricks like this could work with multiplayer if you repeat them five times and it's a one way jump.)

The nice thing about tying it to an object interact is that you could then supply an animation to go with it so that 3rd party players would see a Q flash, a puff of smoke, a transporter effect, etc.

The real tricky part here is the persistently interactable object. Ie. one that can keep popping the same trigger effect an unlimited number of times.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,435
# 37
09-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
One thing I noticed in my testing is that the object MUST occupy where your char's FEET are located. If it doesn't then the game won't notice that you're suddenly inside an object. I had this come up one time when the object was raised above the ground slightly. Or in cases where the object that spawned didn't have a solid interior. If the game thought you were inside a hollow object it wouldn't care.A Hallway that goes through black space? Maybe, but... MOST sections of black space cannot be used as a spawn point of any kind.

What happens if the closest spawn point is inaccessible? Say you were to spawn a giant rock on top of it or one of my favorite 40-foot stone cubes?

But yeah, i'd rather have a "warp to location" function.
You can make one above.

I've toyed with, for instance, creating Jefferies tubes above the Belfast interior, as you can see down in. You just stack grates over the interior.

Do new spawn points have a limit on their height?

You might be able to construct one or more rooms 50, 100, and 200 feet above the Belfast interior that act as pit stops if the map height allows for it.

I think a lot of indoor maps have a prohibitive height limit.

However, that could be VERY doable with a very tall map like Facility 4028, provided new spawn locations have a height limit. This would allow you to transport over a very short distance across the ground, provided the height is different enough.

Maybe, for example, you want to move someone 5 feet past a wall.

You could possibly trigger the new respawn location to be above their current position and use that to create an alternative path to the next respawn point.

It would be weird on the Belfast because it would involve hundreds of feet of pipe that simply would be out of place in a ship that small.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,550
# 38
09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
You can make one above.

I've toyed with, for instance, creating Jefferies tubes above the Belfast interior, as you can see down in. You just stack grates over the interior.

Do new spawn points have a limit on their height?

You might be able to construct one or more rooms 50, 100, and 200 feet above the Belfast interior that act as pit stops if the map height allows for it.

I think a lot of indoor maps have a prohibitive height limit.

However, that could be VERY doable with a very tall map like Facility 4028, provided new spawn locations have a height limit. This would allow you to transport over a very short distance across the ground, provided the height is different enough.

Maybe, for example, you want to move someone 5 feet past a wall.

You could possibly trigger the new respawn location to be above their current position and use that to create an alternative path to the next respawn point.

It would be weird on the Belfast because it would involve hundreds of feet of pipe that simply would be out of place in a ship that small.
ah, excellent point! I think you're right about interior heights. All maps have a size in x/y/z, some indoor maps have a relatively small y dimension. And some.... like Utopia Planitia, have a small "map" area and a GIANT walkable area outside that. Check it: http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4vub8a

pay particular attention to the value that /loc spit out! O_O! the model of Utopia Planitia is ENORMOUS compared to the area you can walk around in.

But I digress. My experiments with the Retro versions of DS9 and ESD gave me some odd info on the way the devs mark the area that can be spawned in. It seems to be a giant box. A box that doesn't fit a round space station properly. A few parts of the actual hallways are outside the box, and many sections of black space are inside it. (disclaimer this information predates season 6 and may be obsolete) I've done similar experiments with Terok Nor interior and the game was happy to let you spawn above the actual map in empty space.

Belfast isn't THAT small. :p
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM.