Career Officer
# 51
09-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
In addition to doing the recording in the UK, it would probably pay to have an actor like Stewart primarily come in for an in development game like Neverwinter and make STO a value added side gig.

Not because he wouldn't be more valuable here but because NW probably has more money to absorb the cost of hiring him (and the title after Neverwinter, even moreso), so -- on paper -- you want the in-development game to absorb the costs.

Pre-launch games have the luxury of throwing money at art. Post-launch MMOs need to have their expenses justified before they spend.
This seems like a great way of getting around SAG, I wonder if Cryptic have even considered it?
Career Officer
# 52
09-11-2012, 02:39 AM
The company dealing with Sir Patrick in terms of voice overs is:

Independant Talent Group
Oxford House
76 Oxford Street
London W1D 1BS
Tel: +44 20 7636 6565
Fax: +44 20 7323 0101

http://www.independenttalent.com/

Now Sir Patrick does many voice overs for all kinds of ads, games, cartoons etc. I am sure if Cryptic contacted ITG they could sort something out for a reasonable price. Hell it's something I would donate a small amount to for sure.
Commander
# 53
09-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradym View Post
brent spiners been in Big Bang Theory as a cameo and....independence day...i am not aware of anything else
Ever seen the Walter Mathau/Jack Lemmon flick Out to Sea? XD funny movie as those two are legends anyways. (Although this movie DID come out before the downfall of Trek known as "Nemesis"

Edit: Worth the watch, besides the humour of the two legends, but Spiner sings in this one too... more than once..

Last edited by fiberteksyfir; 09-12-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Lieutenant
# 54
09-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The actors set their own fee rate. It's hard to say why it's so much. Some of its popularity and the actor wanting to capitalize on that popularity. I'm sure Sir Patrick charges several times more then Spiner. But it's also important to keep in mind that most Trek actors don't have a career after Trek and so the only money they make comes from royalties, convention appearances, and licensing fees. So they want to make all the money they can from those categories.
False, Both Patrick Steward and Brent Spiner Participated in numerous movies, and have been guest stars in tv series. (Can't remember any right off the bat except for X-Men, check IMDB for more info) So their career doesn't end with the Star Trek franchise.
Career Officer
# 55
09-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanev View Post
False, Both Patrick Steward and Brent Spiner Participated in numerous movies, and have been guest stars in tv series. (Can't remember any right off the bat except for X-Men, check IMDB for more info) So their career doesn't end with the Star Trek franchise.
The post from Cosmic1 said MOST, and generally that's true, people in such iconic roles as an Enterprise captain are going to be typecast, when you see Leonard Nimoy what is the role that springs to mind? How about J Frakes, Dwight Schultz, Alice Kridge, Kate Mulgrew, and so on. They are icons of the role they represented. Great actors Like Stewart will often go back to the stage as Sir Patrick has to escape the typecasting, but for most people Sir Patrick Stewart is Captain Picard and William Shatner is Captain Kirk regardless of any other roles they have ever played.

The point is valid therefore that they have to gain as much income from their iconic status post series/film as being typecast they are deliberately overlooked by casting staff for other shows or movies. Their main career is over unless they are extremely talented and have a good agent like Sir Patrick, for many actors they are unknown formerly known as ........
Captain
# 56
09-12-2012, 04:00 AM
William Shatner appeared in **** my dad says, as a very un Kirk like person. He was canny good in that, I wish it had gone longer.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 57
09-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanev View Post
Can you tell me all the things Mirina Sirtis and Gates McFadden have been in since TNG? Even Johnathan Frakes? How about Michael Dorn since DS9? How about Nicole de Boer, Cirroc Lofton, and Nana Vistor? Shall we talk about Voyager now? How about Tim Russ, Roxann Dawson, Garret Wang, and Jennifer Lien? Enterprise now? Dominic Keating, Anthony Montgomery, Linda Parks, Connor Trinnear, etc? Shall we go all the back to TOS? Did you see a lot of DeForest, James, Walter, Nichelle, and George in things other then Trek after TOS was done?

The simple truth is the vast majority of Trek actors end up doing occasional bit rolls and never find themselves in another series or as the primary star of a movie after Trek.
Captain
# 58
09-12-2012, 07:12 AM
George, Nichelle, Dominic Keating, appeared in Heroes, all more than bit parts in the epsiodes they were in, though granted only George had a major character.

William Shatner was the lead in S*** My Dad Says. And TJ Hooker (which was after Star Trek).

Leonard Nimoy was in a couple of series of Mission Impossible, main character (I forget if this was before or after Star Trek).

Patrick Stewart has a regular recurring voice over in American Dad. Certainly not a bit part there.

Almost the entire TNG cast did the voices in Gargoyles.

Tim Russ was in Die Hard 4. Ok, bit part.

Tom Paris and Blanna have gone into directing (Paris directed alot of episodes of Chuck)

Trip has a recurring guest in at least 3 series of Stargate Atlantis. Robert Picardo was a regular guest in numerous episodes of Stargate, both SG1 and Atlantis before becoming main cast member in Atlantis series 5. Nicole Deboer had a guest star in 1 episode. Ok, she was a bit part.

So true many do not crop up in mainstream, there are those who appear in regular roles after trek.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 59
09-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
George, Nichelle, Dominic Keating, appeared in Heroes, all more than bit parts in the epsiodes they were in, though granted only George had a major character.
You do realize you're talking about George and Nichelle doing something 40 years after TOS, right?

Quote:
So true many do not crop up in mainstream, there are those who appear in regular roles after trek.
Doing 1 or 2 guest appearances a year is not doing regular work. Going from working 30 weeks a year to working 2 is not being regularly employed. Look at "Trip" as your example:

Enterprise ended in 2005. He had 3 bit parts in 2006. 2 in 2007 - one of which was a voice in Family Guy. He was lucky to get 10 episodes of Stargate: Atlantis in 2008 - but he only got those due to his sci-fi Enterprise role. He had 4 bit parts in 2009 and only 1 part in 2010. 2 in 2011 and 2 in 2012.

Connor has been working, but he's not working steadily - and certainly not steadily enough to feel financially secure. I'm sure any money he can get from licensing and convention appearances is much appreciated.
Captain
# 60
09-12-2012, 08:01 AM
I was just trying to be helpful and point out there are some who do get some work. But like I said, most do not.

Connor was only in 10 eps of Atlantis? I thought he was in more than that (and thank you for reminding me his name.)