Super Moderator
# 1 Turbolift Map Transition
09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I recently unpublished my one Foundry mission due to some glitches I was seeing after the Season 6 update and Foundry fix.

I decided to go back and change some things to make it a better mission, but I'm having trouble with a map transition.

In the original version, I do an "Emergency Transport" to transition to the next map (somewhere in Engineering). One of the downsides of this approach is that all my BOFFs spawn in with me.

What I'd like to do instead is to have the player enter a turbolift and transition to a new map where they spawn inside another turbolift. I'm kind of hoping that I can place the spawn point just right to put the BOFFs on the other side of the turbolift wall.

But the map transition seems to be insisting on a dialog box with a contact. I can't figure out how to make a "Turbolift To Engineering" button trigger the map transition based on interacting with an object. There's probably a tutorial somewhere, but I'm not sure if it would still be relevant to this most recent incarnation of the Foundry.

I'm probably overlooking something simple and stupid, but could someone point me in the right direction?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Rihannsu
# 2
09-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Actually... All map transitions have a contact dialog. But... If you make the objective "move to location" then you can use the map transition dialog for the "emergency transport" button. You still have a picture but enh... Also, Kirkfat recently came up with a bug-tastic way to stop your Boffs from spawning with you. If you place your spawn point inside an object that is set to become visible later, Boffs won't spawn there.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Super Moderator
# 3
09-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the answer, but I still wish I could set up a real turbolift map transition.

Thematically, it would work a lot better for this mission.

Although being able to use a full ship interior for a Foundry mission would be even better. I have no time or patience to try to build a ship interior from scratch.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 4
09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Actually... All map transitions have a contact dialog. But... If you make the objective "move to location" then you can use the map transition dialog for the "emergency transport" button. You still have a picture but enh... Also, Kirkfat recently came up with a bug-tastic way to stop your Boffs from spawning with you. If you place your spawn point inside an object that is set to become visible later, Boffs won't spawn there.
Are you sure that's how Kirkfat's trick works?

I thought it was the opposite.

Ie. If an object becomes invisible at any point, BOFF pathing ignores it.

What you're saying is that if it becomes visible at any point, BOffs respond to it.

My understanding is that the trick for "no BOffs" is this:

You create a floor 500 feet up. You create a trigger that eliminates the floor. The trigger is out of players' reach. Hence, BOff pathing becomes based on the ground 500 feet below and they spawn down there. Which creates the appearance of no BOffs (and they don't show up on your team listing.)

Now, come to think of it, what's interesting about that mechanic is that you could use it to eliminate or allow for BOffs mid-mission based on respawn points if you have two floors, one of which disappears and one of which doesn't, each with their own spawn locations.

So... I could have a mission where you spawn without BOs but they will respawn with you at your new respawn point when you die or where you spawn with BOs but the respawn point doesn't have any.

The nifty trick there is that you could do something similar to "First Cause, Then Effect" where the player is forcibly killed once during the mission, wakes up in a new area without BOffs, proceeds to explore, and gets a new spawn location. So that at the next point, they are forced to die again and when they respawn, they wake up in a sickbay with their BOffs.

This might even be doable in the space above or below an interior map.

So I'm on a Connie on the Engineering deck. I get overwhelmed by mobs who kill me. I wake up in a cave that is hand constructed above the Connie (without BOs because the floor is set to disappear under certain conditions). I progress through the cave. I'm overwhelmed by another group of mobs. And when I respawn, I wake up in sickbay surrounded by my BOs.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
09-10-2012, 03:44 PM
The mechanic described in this thread http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=379741 actually has a secondary effect of leaving your bridge officers behind... most of the time.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 6
09-12-2012, 05:10 PM
*rereads thread* see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=356341

Oh, you're right. Kirk's issue was that the mockup of the ship interior was going to go poof completely. Oops.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.