Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 111
09-12-2012, 04:32 AM
While we're on the subject, I also hate how these popup messages will cause you to cut your throttle to zero. It's just as stupid as it forcing a decloak.

I've sometimes been killed because I was too close (for example) to a Tac Cube in the last stage of ISE and when it blows up you get a message from your XO... with your speed now at zero. And then the secondary explosion takes you with it. THANKS A LOT NUMBER ONE.
Commander
# 112
09-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
While we're on the subject, I also hate how these popup messages will cause you to cut your throttle to zero. It's just as stupid as it forcing a decloak.

I've sometimes been killed because I was too close (for example) to a Tac Cube in the last stage of ISE and when it blows up you get a message from your XO... with your speed now at zero. And then the secondary explosion takes you with it. THANKS A LOT NUMBER ONE.
thats something you can disable somewhere in the options. i think in the control tab
Survivor of Romulus
# 113
09-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
thats something you can disable somewhere in the options. i think in the control tab
Oh, thank you. Thank you so much. (seriously)

Sorry for my now irrelevant hijack.
Starfleet Veteran
# 114
09-12-2012, 06:42 AM
No need to apologize, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

I know this cloaking issue and the retro WAI is new for a lot of the newer folks since F2P. But this sort of thing is old hat for the fine folks at Cryptic studios. This isn't the first time, it won't be the last.
Vice Admiral Corris Sprint (@sprint01)
Commanding Officer - 26th Fleet [RP]
Star Trek: Praetorian Official Website
Career Officer
# 115
09-12-2012, 07:00 AM
I have to agree that the cloak shouldn't break stealth so easily. There needs to be a better line.

Regards,
<a href=http://raptr.com/frey_xc?src=em_game target=_blank><a href=http://raptr.com/badge/frey_xc/fs_7737f91ae650c313545ccc7dc2b7261c.png target=_blank>http://raptr.com/badge/frey_xc/fs_77...7dc2b7261c.png</a></a>
Captain
# 116
09-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlineangel View Post
Completely agree with you, this issue made klingons a pointless faction to play for me.

and yes, saying this is working as intended in a lie.
It's working as intended if their intent is to make playing the KDF faction as pointless as they can without outright removing it...

There is this issue. And there is the issue of the UFP getting carriers. I've believed that UFP should have carriers, but won't deny that it was one of the things that set the KDF apart from the UFP. Now they are practically the same in terms of mechanics. The next issue is the fact that they have made it clear that the KDF is not to be given any sort of real focus on PVE mission development exclusive to the faction.

I think they want to make the KDF as unappealing as they possibly can so as many KDFers will leave it (even if it means them leaving the game completely), that way they can say that the KDF was not a viable endeavor. They'll envoke a new peace treaty between the KDF and the UFP, and find some way to include the Romulans and the Cardassians in a separate pact with the Federation. One big happy alliance. And all story-based mission content for them will be produced via the Foundry.

I think that Cryptic wants an excuse that is reflected by their numbers to bump the KDF out of any sort of internally perceived priority position for unique development. And I don't think they care if they have to manipulate those numbers by constantly shafting the KDF players in the process. If they really took the KDF faction seriously, then by now, they would have found a way to reconcile it with the UFP in terms of playability. That's just how it looks to me when I examine it from more than just one angle.

KDF is part of the game. If it is broken then the game is broken. But as much as I wish they would start looking at the game as a whole and realize their need to keep it working as a whole, I know they won't. They haven't done it in over two and a half years. Why should I or any of us expect them to start now? After all, in terms of gameplay mechanics, the KDF has everything the UFP has. Foundry, DOffs, PvP, Exploration, Crafting, Starbases, etc. It's all there. Cryptic doesn't charge for mission content, so the largest area of inequality facing the KDF will not be profitable for Cryptic to dedicate any serious man hours to. So I don't expect anything to change.

Back when we were still being conned into believing that the UFP and KDF were going to be equal-but-opposite factions in terms of content and playability, I was SO planning on playing a ruthless, hotblooded Klingon Warrior, because I have been the good guy in every MMO I've played. I wanted a supported outlet for something different. But I have played UFP since launch because the KDF we were given was not the KDF we were promised. And I know it never will be.

And the BS comments from Dan implying that this cloak bug is actually not a bug, especially since his original position was that it was a bug are exactly that. BS. A cloak dropping just because one of your bridge officers says something to you? BAH!

Then again, our bridges are so big that everyone would have to shout at each other across them to be heard clearly, so I supposed that it would cause strong enough structural vibrations that a ship could be detected through the cloak...

I think that when I get do a Foundry mission, I'm going to put three exclamation marks at the end of every sentence spoken by a BOff in the spirit of realism.

Captain!!! I've detected a remote listening proble pointing its sensors this way!!! We need to be quiet sir!!! My readings indicate that even BREATHING too hard will cayse them to detect us!!! ... Uhm!!! Sir!!! They have apparently detected us as I was making this report!!! Damn the p'taq who thought making bridges so big was a good idea to the fires of gre'thor!!!

Last edited by sirsitsalot; 09-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 117
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I guess the Cloaking Bug has been here for so long now that it has tenure and now is considered a permanent feature
Career Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantrinidy View Post
Remember about a year ago when the cloak broke and Dan said "we have to go map by map to fix it, will take a long time but it will get done" and now he says "oh it was always meant to be like that" this really makes me mad as a KDF player who uses cloak i Kerrat.

Ps. This is my first post in over two years I though i need to expose this lie, as if we don't remember.
You are exactly correct. They made a change for season 3 and it messed up cloaking at that time and they changed their position, in response to the multitude of gripes about it stating that basically will uncloak us whenever they please.. basically telling us to shut up and deal with it.

Great customer service there. The bug was first reported in January 2011

Here is the history of the bug (main points and by all means.. not every post ever written about it)

1/18/2011 : reporting
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...20#post3290220

1/24/2011 : Another Reporting
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ighlight=cloak

2/21/2011 : Another Plea
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...t=cloak+season

3/15/2011 : Cryptic acknowledges bug : # 1 Engineering Report - March 15, 2011 : Under Investigation section
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...63&postcount=2

3/24/2011 : First Attempted Fix
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=208478

5/23/2011 : Unknown Dev post (Thank for wiping the names, PWE) stating that this was an in game error that they unintentionally created by are working on fixes for both.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...8&postcount=16

Quote:
Actually, this is not a 100% Bug - as in game error.
We had the problem that the cloak did not always drop when it should. That causes big game balancing issues over time and we addressed them. THIS is a side-effect of what the fix brought in. It is a bug in so far, as that it's not doing what we really wanted, though it did fix the previous problem.

While that's of course not amazingly awesome, we are indeed, as mentioned by other posters, working on shifting things so that what the previous issue was and what the current issue is both don't bother players anymore.

And on a related note: Please keep it friendly.
7/7/2011 Final Answer
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=222483

Quote:
*Contacts and mini-contacts will no longer pull players out of cloak with the following exceptions.

*If you are interacting with something you will still be pulled out of cloak.
*We can still have a contact or mini-contact pull you out of cloak if we feel it benefits the mission!
i.e. they can decloak you anytime they want because it was more cost effective to give that answer than to fix every map. Also, it is no wonder they have so many bugs if they program this way.

They think we forget this crap, but we don't. They broke something in season 3 and believed it was too costly to fix it, even though we are paying them to fix it
my new saying is "cryptic made me do it" in lieu of the the "devil"
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!

Last edited by tfomega; 09-12-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Lieutenant
# 119
09-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Of course it is, DUH. EVERYONE knows, the Boff are REAL LOUD, so the enemy ships can OBVIOUSLY hear you from 10km away..like.. sheesh...
Career Officer
# 120
09-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdarkwolf View Post
Of course it is, DUH. EVERYONE knows, the Boff are REAL LOUD, so the enemy ships can OBVIOUSLY hear you from 10km away..like.. sheesh...
lmfao this^^^^^
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.