Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
# 1 Eng Cruiser STF build help
09-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Hello everyone

Soon i want to start doing some STFs again with my Cruiser, but i am not sure if my build is good enough. It should be good enough to also tackle elite STFs in the future.

Here it is: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...=stftanktry1_0

Now i would like to fill the role of a tank in space and some kind of fabrication supporter on ground if that makes any sense.

I have chosen the assault cruiser, but if there is any cruiser that is better because of BO or console-layout please let me know.

Now you can see all the skills in the link but now another question...the equipment.

Obviously i do not yet have any borg parts apart from the console. I currently use 6beam/2torp and the aegis set. Consoles are 3x energy specific damage in tactical, resistance plates and the borg console in eng and these shield consoles in sci.

On the ground i currently use a bunker fabrication kit, the JemHadar Rifle and an energy dampening armor.

Any advice on how i could improve this and also what kind of duty officers would work well with this setup is very much appreciated.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,717
# 2
09-13-2012, 02:21 AM
a) kill you eng, roll a tac, see c)
b) wait for cryptic to balance classes and ships (hope you have a pensions fund)
c) fly and escort use DHC



d) just get used to being outdamged and healed by everything around you and enjoy flying your favorite ship. nothing wrong with it in PvE. Should you ever venture into PvP....see a)

e) I would drop the aft torp, use a quant up front for PvE is ok, full on beamboat is still viable. I prefer the enemy neutralisation kit on ground for my eng.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 317
# 3
09-13-2012, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
a) kill you eng, roll a tac, see c)
b) wait for cryptic to balance classes and ships (hope you have a pensions fund)
c) fly and escort use DHC



d) just get used to being outdamged and healed by everything around you and enjoy flying your favorite ship. nothing wrong with it in PvE. Should you ever venture into PvP....see a)

e) I would drop the aft torp, use a quant up front for PvE is ok, full on beamboat is still viable. I prefer the enemy neutralisation kit on ground for my eng.
I dont get why people tell others to re-roll to the FotM. So what if currently your spec isnt all that great atm. Anyway I dont think hes talking about PvP

Tac is pure DPS so he will not outclass a tac captain as a tank-build engineer.

To OP, just wondering, is there a reason you have on your Lt. Commander Boff both the Engineering team 1 & 3? Maybe replace one of them with something else if available perhaps?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 4
09-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldicephoenix View Post
I dont get why people tell others to re-roll to the FotM. So what if currently your spec isnt all that great atm. Anyway I dont think hes talking about PvP

Tac is pure DPS so he will not outclass a tac captain as a tank-build engineer.

To OP, just wondering, is there a reason you have on your Lt. Commander Boff both the Engineering team 1 & 3? Maybe replace one of them with something else if available perhaps?
I agree. Screw all you tac ONLY thinkers. As for his double engi team, I think he was goin for uber hull healage and support. I would post what I think is an ideal build, but atm my brain is fried and I am too tired... come tomorrow however I will put my real thoughts, I just wanted to get that first second and third sentence out on the table.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
# 5
09-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Well i have used it when tac-team was not needed, but incoming damage was very high. In any case i guess i would like to keep eng team 3 because of the huge structure repair.

I am also not so sure about what else might be good...perhaps emergency power to weapons together with beam fire at will as a kind of opener to "grab" aggro? These emergency powers also share a cooldown, dont they?

On a side note i also have a tac officer in an escort, but its just not my favorite playstyle.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 318
# 6
09-13-2012, 03:16 AM
You might try this variation as well http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...build=Tankit_0

In STFs warp plasma is a great tool. You can kill heavy torps with it, CC cubes/shperes to keep them out of the way while you deal with another problem(infected optional godsend), and generally lay waste and troll npcs with it.

Normally I would say get RSP but your a Engi so if you keep your heals rolling Miracle worker will be enough to get you through your rotations against the gate or tac cubes.

As for science if you keep A2S running you can just sit through whatever the borg throw at you if you get tractored, so a really powerful shield heal may be of more use overall.

Also this build is a bit more to the tank than it is dps. The nice beam cruiser dps builds are mostly based off the dragon one, but as a engi you might as well just go the route of giving the borg the finger and then stay with them till they die. Not the largest DPS ever seen in the game but you can basically know that what your shooting at will die. So pick your targets accordingly. No blocking probes for you but you can tank gates and let smart escorts get closer than 9.9999km to it.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 568
# 7
09-13-2012, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubo100 View Post
I am also not so sure about what else might be good...perhaps emergency power to weapons together with beam fire at will as a kind of opener to "grab" aggro? These emergency powers also share a cooldown, dont they?
There's a linked cooldown, but the System Cooldown on EPTX is sufficient to run two copies of two different powers full-time. In other words, you can run EPTS3(Copy1)-->EPTW1(Copy1)-->EPTS3(Copy2)-->EPTW1(Copy2) and have the full benefits of both permanently.

Concerning loadout etc, try here.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]

Last edited by maelwy5; 09-13-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,717
# 8
09-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldicephoenix View Post
I dont get why people tell others to re-roll to the FotM. So what if currently your spec isnt all that great atm. Anyway I dont think hes talking about PvP

Tac is pure DPS so he will not outclass a tac captain as a tank-build engineer.

To OP, just wondering, is there a reason you have on your Lt. Commander Boff both the Engineering team 1 & 3? Maybe replace one of them with something else if available perhaps?
This has nothing to do with FoTM. Eng being crap has been going on for months, starting with Doffs and skill tree revamp, with death by a thousand cuts added later.

In case you haven't notice: There is no point in tanking in friggin PvE, you want to get the optional you gotta blow up stuff fast. Doesn't matter if FA, NWS, save the transports, ..... healing and tanking only prevent your team from getting optional or points faster. So keep you eng healers in storage.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 568
# 9
09-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
This has nothing to do with FoTM. Eng being crap has been going on for months, starting with Doffs and skill tree revamp, with death by a thousand cuts added later.

In case you haven't notice: There is no point in tanking in friggin PvE, you want to get the optional you gotta blow up stuff fast. Doesn't matter if FA, NWS, save the transports, ..... healing and tanking only prevent your team from getting optional or points faster. So keep you eng healers in storage.
Engs are fine. They raise the survivability of whatever they're flying.

The problem is that most of the time you don't need more survivability than what a Tac in that same ship can provide. There are exceptions... for example, a "good" tank can hold the attention of Two Cubes or a Gateway and a Tactical Cube at the same time, but cases where that is useful are quite rare.

When you're learning the ropes on STFs, it can be helpful to be able to take an extra few hits, but after the 100th Elite run you tend to have the tactics down to a fine art... and extreme survivability becomes superfluous.

So Engineers are relegated to Piloting Escorts in STFs, where the extra survivability tends not to be wasted. Or they can be pushed towards Healing/Buffing duty in Fleet Missions (which can work: the protect-the-transports mission for example... the transports don't care if you save them via Constantly Healing them or via Killing the ships that are attacking them)

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
# 10
09-13-2012, 06:07 AM
so...you are saying i should just step into an escort with my eng captain until cruisers become useful? Well if that is the case i need even more advice, since i have not really thought about what a good escort fit looks like.

In another topic there was a long discussion if all cannons are better than a mix of torps and cannons. Also What type of cannons are best...all DHC, or 2DHC+2DC or even 4DC. But at least i got from this discussion that there is no real consensus here so i have played around a bit and created a energy-only eng-escort build. This of course is assuming an advanced escort is the right tool.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ngescortstf1_0

Once again any pointers as to how to improve it would be welcome.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 PM.