Ensign
# 11
09-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996 View Post
i Have A Simpler Solution. Just Do Away With It Completely. If You Don't Want To Receive Someone's Messages You Can Simply "ignore" Them. That's All The Control That's Needed. The Idea Of Giving Players Such Control Over Other Players Is Ludicrous And Invites The Exact Sort Of Abuse That The System Is Now Getting. There Are Plenty Of Mmo's Out There That Have No Such System. You're Option Is "ignore" And That's Option Enough.
Hear Hear!
Career Officer
# 12
09-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blznfun View Post
Apparently you can be silenced by anyone (or several people working cooperatively) in STO. I was sitting at the exchange minding my own business when I went to respond to a private PM. My PM didn't go through and I thought the person who PM'd me logged off. When I checked my friends list it showed them online. That's when I checked the system messages and low and behold I was silenced for 24 hours.

I immediately contacted a GM through the behavioral button. Today I got a response saying its an automated system and that I have to wait for it to expire before I can chat again...

REALLY??? Just because someone or a group of people (you know who you are since ironically I was silenced right after the harasser was standing behind me doing the running man...) want to grief someone else (God forbid), I can't chat now and Cryptic refuses to do anything about it! I mean they have logs. They can see that I am being legit and truthful. Harassment should not be tolerated by the community, STO and lastly Cryptic/PW.

They have removed these in the past for me and several others after the response "We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your chat ban and can find no reason for it. We have opted to remove it early." (Or something similar)

If this is the way Cryptic is going to treat their customers for abiding by the "Terms of service" and not punish those who are violating for those who all following it, God help us...

I am very frustrated about this and wonder what the "Terms of Service" are even for at this point. If they aren't going to uphold them, do we really need them?
Yeah this has been around since STO went live.

Remember, you too can work within the system. You have friends and the knowledge that Cryptic will never do anything about it.

Have fun!
Joined August 2008
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
09-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Right, if you know or suspect who gr33f'd you, you can gr33f him back with a cupple of your friends, then he's the one getting kickbanned, not you.
"Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
Career Officer
# 14
09-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
On top of that, there should be a means to see WHO is doing the reporting? Not to the person that they reported of course, but to Cryptic. I mean, if it is people doing it on purpose as well, then in turn, it would only be wise if people seem to be constantly reporting everyone for no reason just to get them silenced.

I'm surprised this kind of problem hasn't happened sooner.
My assumption is they do in fact log who has reported who in their system. The question though is how high up the ranks of Cryptic do you have to be in order to see those logs. I would not be suprised if a GM is unable to access those and needs a full blown dev to look at it.
Career Officer
# 15
09-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cursix View Post
Question for the OP; did you speak at all in zone/local chat before that? If not, it really is a serious problem that Cryptic isn't even doing an automatic check of "Did this person even TALK?" before taking action.
No, I did not speak or type in zone AT ALL... This person likes to come up to me a do the running man. Its a classic case of harasment/stalking. Seems he "seeks" me out just to see what I will do. Up to last, I just joined in and did the running man with him. Seems he didn't like it too well and had him and his buddies silence me... Now of course, I could be completely wrong about my accusation, but its just so ironic that I received a PM shortly after the "running man" show and couldn't respond to it. The time read that I was silenced just shy of a few minutes of 24 hours. It doesn't take a village idiot to put 2 and 2 together and realize it makes 4 since I have an ongoing harassment/stalking issue with this person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
Yeah this has been around since STO went live.

Remember, you too can work within the system. You have friends and the knowledge that Cryptic will never do anything about it.

Have fun!
This is not my style. I have never and will never abuse the system in place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eristhevorta View Post
Right, if you know or suspect who gr33f'd you, you can gr33f him back with a cupple of your friends, then he's the one getting kickbanned, not you.
See above comment...

As to another comment I didn't get quoted: I agree that an "Ignore" function is simple enough. They just need to remove the feature from "Ignore" which is when so many people ignore you in a short about of time it auto silences you... I am not sure of how many need to do it or in what time frame the ignores need to come it though...

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard

Last edited by blznfun; 09-15-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Career Officer
# 16
09-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blznfun View Post
This is not my style. I have never and will never abuse the system in place...
Your choice, but the system, as it stands, is NEVER going to change.

NEVER.
Joined August 2008
Career Officer
# 17
09-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Well at least the latest mail I received stated they were going to do something about my situation (with 3 hours remaining on my ban I might add so it was pointless at that time.) But maybe at least the person(s) who abused it might be disciplined...

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
Empire Veteran
# 18
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
Your choice, but the system, as it stands, is NEVER going to change.

NEVER.
^Agreed. Fight fire with Explosives and be done with it. If they silence you, get them fully banned. If Cryptic decides to actually CARE about the issue they might do something when enough folks are banned.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
09-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Earlier this week I complained about being silenced by players at ESD for no reason. I wrote an email to their "support."

Days later I received a response, where they completely disregarding the abuse, didn't bother to read the email and blamed me for policy spam abuse.

A+ Customer Support

Quite frankly, they just don't care. All that matters to them is the money, every penny they can find in a gutter and if implementing a cheap system that is easily abused means they don't have to hire more support staff, then so much the better.

I mean who cares how many customers you get to quit the game for sheer lack of incompetence... you already have their money right? It isn't like they are going to pay more in the future or anything, loyal customers are a myth. We'll just get the next sucker that comes along.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Captain
# 20
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post

Quite frankly, they just don't care. All that matters to them is the money, every penny they can find in a gutter and if implementing a cheap system that is easily abused means they don't have to hire more support staff, then so much the better.
Hence why they have such unstable servers now. LOVE companies like this one... -.-
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.