Career Officer
# 1 Andorian Change
09-14-2012, 07:53 PM
When did Cryptic change the sexes on Andorian bridge officers? Females used to be listed as zhen (shen) and males as thaan (chan) which was perfect. Why change?
Subspace Party Nullifier Enthusiast
Commander
# 2
09-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Probably because it was confusing players who don't know that Andorians have four separate genders. Granted, I think we learned that from Enterprise, which people around here keep saying isn't canon and doesn't count.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Captain
# 3
09-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
Probably because it was confusing players who don't know that Andorians have four separate genders. Granted, I think we learned that from Enterprise, which people around here keep saying isn't canon and doesn't count.
It's not that it doesn't count. It's simply that many fans started getting Trek burn-out near the end of DS9/early Voyager, so very few casual Trek fans really know what happened in either of those series. It's easier to pretend it's not canon then to admit you just have no idea.
Commander
# 4
09-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
It's not that it doesn't count. It's simply that many fans started getting Trek burn-out near the end of DS9/early Voyager, so very few casual Trek fans really know what happened in either of those series. It's easier to pretend it's not canon then to admit you just have no idea.
But a lot of them making the claim have seen it! I actually know people who have watched the whole series and then immediately claimed "It's fake, it didn't happen, it was all a holoprogram" based on the final episode. That's what makes it funny.
Captain
# 5
09-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Quote:
But a lot of them making the claim have seen it! I actually know people who have watched the whole series and then immediately claimed "It's fake, it didn't happen, it was all a holoprogram" based on the final episode. That's what makes it funny.
Only the final episode was a holo simulation.
That's why i want to belive that Trip Tucker did not die like we saw it on screen.

Enterprise is fully canon!

Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
A alternative Odyssey Ship Model / A 25th century Ambassador refit.
Captain
# 6
09-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I believe the "four genders" thing is apocryphal. It was never mentioned on Enterprise or any other series, as far as I remember.

And yes, Enterprise is canon. (rightfully so - I think it's one of the best!)
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Rihannsu
# 7
09-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I believe the "four genders" thing is apocryphal.
Very, it come from novel that are about as canon as this very MMO we are playing.

Also there is no point in that, gender in the game only exist for what model to be displayed, zhen and shen are "female" as chan and thaan are male, what would be the point of having those extra two options that would be utter redundant?
Career Officer
# 8
09-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Probably because it was confusing players
I don't see what's so confusing about "this one has breasts, but that one doesn't". It's not like the sexes are difficult to distinguish at a glance. There was absolutely no logical reason to change the old style of Andorian gender to simply male/female.
Commander
# 9
09-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
I don't see what's so confusing about "this one has breasts, but that one doesn't". It's not like the sexes are difficult to distinguish at a glance. There was absolutely no logical reason to change the old style of Andorian gender to simply male/female.
Some people are dumb?

Also, I appear to have mixed up my sources earlier. Could have sworn the four genders thing was in Enterprise, but I was wrong. Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-15-2012, 04:42 PM
okay, i have an unusual obsession with Andorians and watched the entire Enterprise series from start to finish and do not recall hearing anything about Andorians having 4 different genders. I think people are just trying to confuse people