Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 11
09-15-2012, 04:05 AM
Actually there's one trick I know that might allow you to make npcs disappear, but it will require a lot of work since you'll have to build a custom interior map over an ext one one.

Choose a map with a large clearing. Put some platforms at let's say 15m. This will be your ground. Now add a npc on this ground. Now set the platform where the npc stands to hidden state when objective X is complete. The npc will fall. A second platform will appear at the same coordinates when objective Y is complete to recreate your ground. Of course you should take the player to another area of the map and close doors (ie adding closed doors walls over opened ones) or add forcefields in the meantime.

Technically this trick should work but it requires to create interiors from scratch, and this is a very long and tedious task, but if you're ready to do so, then you may use it.

Last edited by diogene0; 09-15-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 845
# 12
09-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Well, you can also hide the NPC in a wall or inside an object. There are work arounds. For example, in Perilous Prize, I dropped Daimon Tat through a custom stage I created, by removing the floor and then placing the floor back again. But there is no built in function that allows for it.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 999
# 13
09-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
You cannot make npcs disappear
Supposedly the reason for this is that:

  1. Anytime a NPC is removed from a map, be it in a Foundry mission or a Cryptic one, it counts as a "kill" for experience purposes,
  2. this hard-and-fast rule apparently cannot be fixed or tweaked without breaking other stuff in the game, and
  3. it's too easy to exploit when making farming/grinding missions. (That is, if you could remove NPCs from a map, there'd be nothing to prevent some unscrupulous author from designing a mission that consists of nothing more than beaming onto a ground map that's maxed out with NPC's, and then interacting with an object that makes all the NPCs go away, thereby "killing" them all and instantly "earning" tons of XPs in addition to being too easy a way to grind for dilithium, and now fleet marks as well).

Last edited by paxfederatica; 09-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 14
09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Supposedly the reason for this is that:

  1. Anytime a NPC is removed from a map, be it in a Foundry mission or a Cryptic one, it counts as a "kill" for experience purposes,
  2. this hard-and-fast rule apparently cannot be fixed or tweaked without breaking other stuff in the game, and
  3. it's too easy to exploit when making farming/grinding missions. (That is, if you could remove NPCs from a map, there'd be nothing to prevent some unscrupulous author from designing a mission that consists of nothing more than beaming onto a ground map that's maxed out with NPC's, and then interacting with an object that makes all the NPCs go away, thereby "killing" them all and instantly "earning" tons of XPs in addition to being too easy a way to grind for dilithium, and now fleet marks as well).
Aren't you confusing npcs and mobs? I didn't pay attention to the effects of the kill button in god mode to see if gives xp for a contact npc but i'm not sure it does...
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 15
09-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Aren't you confusing npcs and mobs? I didn't pay attention to the effects of the kill button in god mode to see if gives xp for a contact npc but i'm not sure it does...
The only thing that I can think of is if they allowed us to do it with npc contacts, we'd have the ability to do it with mobs. That is the only possible explanation, other than a lack of caring or understanding.

There are no potential exploits in making a contact disappear. But there are with mobs. So, we can't for either? What explains that?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,127
# 16
09-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Well the issue initially is that the NPC's i need to get rid of become the mobs witha costume change so i can't use the same NPC that i use for the mobs. Although i'm not really sure how to drop them to a different point on the map.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,512
# 17
09-17-2012, 04:13 PM
You can remove the floor and then put a new floor in its place.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 999
# 18
09-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
The only thing that I can think of is if they allowed us to do it with npc contacts, we'd have the ability to do it with mobs. That is the only possible explanation, other than a lack of caring or understanding.

There are no potential exploits in making a contact disappear. But there are with mobs. So, we can't for either? What explains that?
As I said, the problem supposedly isn't just that it can be exploited, it's that any fix might end up breaking any number of other aspects of gameplay. Remember, NPCs are among the most commonly used objects in the game; they interact with pretty much everything else on the map. If the devs were to make such drastic changes to such a fundamental class of objects to allow all of them to be turned off (as opposed to just NPCs in mobs) as well as create some kind of means to distinguish between a combat kill and a more general turning-off (in order to defeat the exploit potential), there's no telling what kind of ripple effect those changes will have on gameplay, not just in Foundry missions but across all of STO, or at least Cryptic has decided it's not worth finding out.

Last edited by paxfederatica; 09-19-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,486
# 19
09-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
As I said, the problem supposedly isn't just that it can be exploited, it's that any fix might end up breaking any number of other aspects of gameplay. Remember, NPCs are among the most commonly used objects in the game; they interact with pretty much everything else on the map. If the devs were to make such drastic changes to such a fundamental class of objects to allow all of them to be turned off (as opposed to just NPCs in mobs) as well as create some kind of means to distinguish between a combat kill and a more general turning-off (in order to defeat the exploit potential), there's no telling what kind of ripple effect those changes will have on gameplay, not just in Foundry missions but across all of STO, or at least Cryptic has decided it's not worth finding out.
That sounds theoretically possible, though melodramatic...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,987
# 20
09-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I think the best solution I've heard was allowing us to teleport npcs to a far-flung corner of the map. They could make it so you can't teleport them until any objective they are tied to is complete, that way they would appear to disappear, but nothing gets broken.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 PM.