Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 11
09-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
The Spock VO from the Sirius sector block you qoute has none of the angst and Klingon hate you contribute to it in your opening post.

No where does it give the impression of the KDF being savages or that the federation is bent on destroying them like they are savages.

All the intro truelly does is set the tone that the UFP is in dire straights and the quadrant is in the turmoil of war and conflict. Its a intro trailer and doesnt set the KDF as being anything other that what it is, a faction that embraces war and conquest. As any ST fan already knows.
Could be but the VO does paint the fact as you say that the Federation is in dire straights due to it's war with the Klingons - it is the players job to turn this around so to speak by being a good captian and destroying the klingons through several of the next missions. My question was does this effect whether people end up playing KDF or not - one person says no. I think its time to end the war.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 12
09-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphenon View Post
I'm a relativly new player. I decide to switch side to Klingons, because most of the player base "Starfleet Officers" don't act as "Starfleet Officers" at all.

Despite of the intro movie, I found out that many so called Starfleet Officers ...
... have no honor.
... attack without warning.
... are selfish (do not use any ability to heal comrades).
.. act uncoordinated and chaotic.

So I decided to went Klingon. Although you find the same of the above "qualities" on Klingon side, at least it don't feel so "un-trek" since these traints are not uncommon for Klinks :-)
Well, some Klingon players operate by their own codes of honor. Usually something along the lines of 'fair play', etc. I sorta have my own code, but a lot of Feddies might not interpret it as such. . .they seem to view a BoP temporarily retreating and cloaking as 'dishonorable' and 'un-Klingon', and they don't approve of sneak attacks, especially when they work.

It's really funny watching Feddies rage about BoPs using the only real advantage they have left as much as possible. As if keeping raiders weak wasn't enough. . .
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,217
# 13
09-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Could be but the VO does paint the fact as you say that the Federation is in dire straights due to it's war with the Klingons - it is the players job to turn this around so to speak by being a good captian and destroying the klingons through several of the next missions.
Not "destroying the Klingons", but rather "defending the Federation from aggressors, including the Klingons".

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
My question was does this effect whether people end up playing KDF or not - one person says no.
Of course it won't affect whether people play as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
I think its time to end the war.
If it can be done realistically, without ruining PvP and the Starbase missions, sure. But keep in mind that for new characters, the war will still be raging.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 14
09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post

If it can be done realistically, without ruining PvP and the Starbase missions, sure. But keep in mind that for new characters, the war will still be raging.
Well one thing for sure would help the KDF is running the new missions the same way STF is run - with both factions being on the same team.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 189
# 15
09-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Well one thing for sure would help the KDF is running the new missions the same way STF is run - with both factions being on the same team.
Wiat...we have new missions..?
Oh, I see...you mean if they decide it's cost effective to make new missions...

I have always felt the newer intro completely sidesteps the fact you can even play Klingon.
It would be nice to mention the fact you can play as Fed OR Klingon even.
Shoot, if they actually advertised that, maybe they would attract more players since, despite what the majority thinks, not everyone wants to play as Federation.
If that was the case, there wouldn't be such an outcry to introduce Romulans.
IMOHPO, leaving that little fact out of the intro tells me volumes about how Cryptic feels about the Klingons in STO.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead
join date Aug 2008
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 16
09-16-2012, 04:11 PM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
My question was does this effect whether people end up playing KDF or not - one person says no.
One person says no in here.
Many do not play the KDF simply becuase they are not fans of the Klingons. Others play the KDf becuase of teh Orions, Gorn and Nuasicans and simply many KDF players are fans. The fact the is the faction is being played if iether due to fan likes, boredom and something or the player merely uses the faction to enhance thier primary gameplay.

Since currently all players start fed and all fans know what the Klingons tend to be in nature, aggressive, rash and quick to anger, the back story of the war makes sense. The voice Over does nothing to make the player think the Klingons are anything other than Klingons.
What is missed in the story of the game is why are the feds reacting to the KDF in such a brutal, brash and voilently uncharacteristic manner in this conflict. Its almost as if something pulls thier strings.
It would be nice if the gameplay let the player discover this on the rise up the levels.


Quote:
I think its time to end the war.
I think its time that the built the war up through both factions beginingand lower levels with good story telling so that when one is at endgame levels the ending of the war to fight the common enemy actually makes sense.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 17
09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Well one thing for sure would help the KDF is running the new missions the same way STF is run - with both factions being on the same team.
Endgame I can agree that the choice to go agnostic in missions makes sense with what storyline options we have at this level.

COming up the lower ranks though missions should be faction specific and only go agnsotic as the player approaches the endgame to set up the idea that at endgame the truth is out on the Undines/Iconians plot and a unsteady peace exists on an individual player point of view.

The game as a whole could still have fed versus KDF conflict under the premise that not everybody in game , iether player or NPC, is aware of the Undine/Iconian plot.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,217
# 18
09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbflordkrueg View Post
I have always felt the newer intro completely sidesteps the fact you can even play Klingon.
It would be nice to mention the fact you can play as Fed OR Klingon even.
Shoot, if they actually advertised that, maybe they would attract more players since, despite what the majority thinks, not everyone wants to play as Federation.
If that was the case, there wouldn't be such an outcry to introduce Romulans.
IMOHPO, leaving that little fact out of the intro tells me volumes about how Cryptic feels about the Klingons in STO.
I don't think so. When a new player logs into the game, the first thing they'll have to do is click "New Federation Character". I would think it's hard to miss the greyed-out-for-now "New Klingon Character" button sitting three pixels away.

I think the intro was actually more even than that. It mostly focuses on Spock and the destruction of Romulus, then the Klingon Empire becoming more aggressive, and ends by highlighting all the craziness happening in the quadrant from a Fed perspective. So I say it's got a decent chunk of KDF advertisement in there.

What would be perfect, though, is getting a KDF-exclusive intro for Klingon characters.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,360
# 19
09-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
What would be perfect, though, is getting a KDF-exclusive intro for Klingon characters.
And to add to that perfection, it would be even more awesome if the intro was done by a famous Klingon, like Worf, Martok, or somebody else.

Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,217
# 20
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
And to add to that perfection, it would be even more awesome if the intro was done by a famous Klingon, like Worf, Martok, or somebody else.
Or Kahless.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 AM.