Ensign
# 1 Video settings performance
09-15-2012, 12:08 AM
I would highly recommend reassessing the abilities of the various computers that are subjected to the rigors of the high-quality artwork, special effects, etc. of the game; I refuse to believe that I am the only member of Star Trek Online with an imperfect (family) computer and that the preset and even advanced video settings are remotely acceptable for the kind of computing that this machine is capable of. Frankly, I think the STO team has been playing with supercomputers too long. Their idea of what is optimum on a family-shared device is severely flawed. For example, I can run through every single room in the game without any problems whatsoever, but upon approaching what I can only describe as a large white blur in the corner of some Deep-Space Encounters (Regulus Sector Block Borg Encounter, Empire Defense: Romulan, etc.) the screen will lock and skip between ten and twenty frames apiece, rendering game-play and thus the mission itself very difficult. I cannot fathom why it is so difficult for the computer to display such a simply anomaly (it handles the Bajoran Wormhole like a dream), but it is the only major change to the screen when the lock-up occurs. The only other time I have had such unsatisfactory results during game-play was during the Starbase Fleet Defense, whereupon so many players converged in one map that the computer simply could not handle all the different happenings all at once. At one point only about half the graphics were being displayed, not including my own starship which resulted in my defeat and since eschewing missions involving more than five players. This computer's paradoxical lack and yet abundance of capacity in portraying the different worlds within the game baffle me. A remarkable job has been done to simplify the graphics in accordance with the abilities of the absolutely simple family computer, but much more is yet to be done to ensure a good experience for all of Star Trek Online's members.
Captain
# 2
09-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alethfar View Post
I would highly recommend reassessing the abilities of the various computers that are subjected to the rigors of the high-quality artwork, special effects, etc. of the game; I refuse to believe that I am the only member of Star Trek Online with an imperfect (family) computer and that the preset and even advanced video settings are remotely acceptable for the kind of computing that this machine is capable of. Frankly, I think the STO team has been playing with supercomputers too long. Their idea of what is optimum on a family-shared device is severely flawed. For example, I can run through every single room in the game without any problems whatsoever, but upon approaching what I can only describe as a large white blur in the corner of some Deep-Space Encounters (Regulus Sector Block Borg Encounter, Empire Defense: Romulan, etc.) the screen will lock and skip between ten and twenty frames apiece, rendering game-play and thus the mission itself very difficult. I cannot fathom why it is so difficult for the computer to display such a simply anomaly (it handles the Bajoran Wormhole like a dream), but it is the only major change to the screen when the lock-up occurs. The only other time I have had such unsatisfactory results during game-play was during the Starbase Fleet Defense, whereupon so many players converged in one map that the computer simply could not handle all the different happenings all at once. At one point only about half the graphics were being displayed, not including my own starship which resulted in my defeat and since eschewing missions involving more than five players. This computer's paradoxical lack and yet abundance of capacity in portraying the different worlds within the game baffle me. A remarkable job has been done to simplify the graphics in accordance with the abilities of the absolutely simple family computer, but much more is yet to be done to ensure a good experience for all of Star Trek Online's members.
I have also experienced these issues.

What has helped greatly is:

Set the graphics to medium.

Select advanced. (Checkbox)

Select troubleshoot. (Lower Tab)

Select the frame rate stabilizer choices.

I can then run the graphics fairly high by manually adjusting the rest of the display properties.

Hope this helps you.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
09-16-2012, 12:51 PM
i agree this game needs some graphix fixes or someting i can run crysis 2 and many other better games with full settings but sto runs very heavy on grahics cards.

maybe season 20 we will get a new game engine or someting.
Captain
# 4
09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
The "white blur" is actually a technical glitch. It has an extreme and unintended effect on many machines. It is not evidence of the developers having unreasonable assumptions about the average system of their players.