Lieutenant
UPDATED: Sept. 26, 2012

After reading the various threads, I feel a revamp of the entire system is needed, one that is based on stackable infractions, suspensions, and expulsions that expire over time.
__________________________________________________ ________________________
Numerical Breakdowns:

Infractions (character-specific)
1 - one-half hour STF or Fleet Mark que lockout (simultaneous with cool down)
2 - one hour STF or Fleet Mark que lockout (followed by cool down)
3 - one and one-half hours
4 - two hours
5 - two and one-half hours
6 - three hours
7 - three and one-half hours
8 - four hours
9 - four and one-half hours
10 - Suspension

Suspensions
1 - twenty-four hour Character lockout from STO or Fleet Mark que
2 - forty-eight hour Character lockout from STO or Fleet Mark que
3 - seventy-two hour Character lockout from STO or Fleet Mark que
4 - ninty-six hour Character lockout from STO or Fleet Mark que
5 - PVE que expulsion

Expulsions (Updated on Sept 26th)
1 - ten day Account lockout from entire PVE que
2 - twenty day Account lockout from entire PVE que
3 - thirty day Account lockout from entire PVE que
4 - forty day Account lockout from entire PVE que
5 - fifty day Account lockout from entire PVE que
6 - sixty day Account lockout from entire PVE que
etc...

Equivalence
10 Infractions = 1 Suspension
5 Suspensions = 1 Expulsion
Explanation Breakdown :

Infractions remain on a character's record for 5 days (120 hours) after being entered into the record.
Suspensions remain on a character's record for 1 months (30 days) after being entered into the record.
Expulsions remain on a character's record for 12 months (365 days) after being entered into the record.

Infractions shall be issued in the following manner:
~First of Five to leave via pressing the "Leave System" or "Exit" buttons earns 2 infractions.
~Second of Five to leave via pressing the "Leave System" or "Exit" buttons earns 1 infraction.
~Third, Forth, and Fifth to leave earns no infractions.

Reasons behind the above numbers:
~The First person to leave puts the team at a disadvantage; however, the current "Join Any Game" que method could bring a new player into the match. Also, it is fully possible to finish an STF or Fleet Mark mission with only 4 people if tactics are properly changed up.
~The Second person to leave should be punished for not waiting for a replacement member, however, if after 7 minutes of no replacement, no person shall be punished for leaving.
~When 3 players remain with not a single replacement being brought into the match after 5 minutes, no player shall be punished for deciding the mission objectives cannot be met.

How the system would work, in the instance that someone was trying to get suspended and did not waste a minute:
http://imageshack.us/a/img515/926/penalty1.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img515/8016/penalty2.png

13 days is the shortest time to earn a 1st expulsion.
Followed by 28 days to earn a 2nd expulsion.
~71 days for a 3rd.
~129 days for a 4th.
~202 days for deletion of character.
Implementation of this system would require a place within the HUD where one can view the number of infractions, suspensions, and expulsions one has, as well as how much time is remains until the oldest until removal.
AFK and Cowardice

In regards to Cowardice (not logging any damage given or received) and AFK; if a person is AFK or is displaying Cowardice for 5 minutes, pause the instance and bring up a pop-up. This pop up would define Cowardice and AFK in simple terms.

Included in the text must be a clear statement that makes it clear that players who announce AFK are not to be kicked. At the bottom are two buttons: [Remove From Team] and [Do Nothing]. "Removal From Team" will kick the player from the mission. "Do Nothing" is exactly as it implies, keeps the player in the mission. A majority vote of at least 66% is needed to remove a player from the team.

Upon being kicked, a player shall receive the following:
~A single infraction.
~A log of ALL chat within the mission covering the 7 minutes leading up to the kick.
~A log of the final minute of Combat (Self) information.
If a the chat log show a player has been unjustly kicked, a ticket can be submitted with either or both of the two logs. If it is determined that a player was indeed unjustly kicked that player shall have the lockout immediately lifted and receive one of the following:
~2 Encrypted Data Chips if kicked from a Normal STF
~1 Common Borg Salvage if kicked from a Normal STF
~3 Encrypted Data Chips if kicked from an Elite STF
~1 Rare Borg Salvage if kicked from an Elite STF
~15 Fleet Marks if kicked from a Fleet mark mission.
The kickers who unjustly kicked, will receive 3 infractions. __________________________________________________ ________________________
Right to Leave

Upon reaching the boss chamber of an STF, a counter is activated for each player. This counter is to count the number of deaths wile fighting the boss. Once the counter has reached 3 for each player, the option to leave without penalty is opened for all players in the mission.
Side notes:
It has been pointed out that many veteran STF'ers are after the optional accolades. They feel it is unfair to be sent into a mission that has already lost the Optional and be unable to hop out without penalty so as not to waste their time. To alleviate this, the best option would be to add "Join Any Game" or "Join New Game" options in the PVE que, as is seen in the PVP que.

Leaving because the optional failed should not be a valid option because if the team of five, or even four, is still present the primary objectives are still achievable. The only thing lost is the Optional loot bag. To leave because the optional has failed puts the rest of the team left behind in the mission at a disadvantage and risk of having their time wasted. Selfishness is no reason to avoid a penalty.
Needs further work:
Disconnect detection
Lag Spike detection
On a personal note: I do realize some players may inadvertently be given an infraction. No system is perfect. I know I'll earn a few if this is implemented. But this proposal is to focus on the players who regularly screw over other players. The players who are decent and respect their fellow players will never earn enough infractions to even reach a suspension much less an expulsion. So, the final two punishments, "Character deletion" and "Account removal" should never be a concern for the respectful player.

Plus, this is a first round proposal. Discussion of concerns will lead to tweaking and improvements. I'm looking for constructive criticism. If you have an issue with a certain part, what's the issue? How would you deal with it? If you don't know a solution, list the concern and that you aren't sure how to address it.

Last edited by apolloserenus; 10-02-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Attempt at making more reader friendly.
Community Moderator
# 2
09-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Character/Account bans for leaving STF's? And possible character/account deletions

Nope 100% against that. The problems with this kind of system, what happens to those that actually get disconnected from the game by no fault of their own? What if it happens more than once in a month time frame? Should they get the stacked penalty? Because there is no way PWE could actually prove they didn't just "disconnect" to get out of the STF (as a disconnect is a disconnect).

I get that the STF Leaver penalty sucks but that's why you can do private queues, there is quite a few channels for getting teams together and what have you.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Lieutenant
# 3
09-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
I get that the STF Leaver penalty sucks but that's why you can do private queues, there is quite a few channels for getting teams together and what have you.
Why don't more people understand that? Private queue if you want to avoid PUGs.
Lieutenant
# 4
09-17-2012, 10:25 PM
I had not thought about disconnects while thinking of a system to deal with those that intentionally leave.

I have added provisions to deal with that. I'll also be adding provisions to deal with AFK.
Lieutenant
# 5
09-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Character/Account bans for leaving STF's? And possible character/account deletions
Yes, to earn a character deletion, one must accumulate at total of 250 infractions within the given time frames. I made sure to NOT make the time frames overly long, but to still make them slightly sting.

I'm not evil by proposing that the infractions are permanent. They will drop off. If you earn 10 infractions, that 10th infraction becomes 1 Suspension and you start back at 0 infractions. Earn 5 Suspensions, the fifth becomes an Expulsion and you are back at 0 Suspensions.

Most importantly though, regardless of if you have 1 infraction or 9, after 17.5 days that oldest infraction goes away. Suspensions disappear after 120 days. Expulsions disappear after 16 months.

Good behavior will clear your record before any serious penalties kick in.
Empire Veteran
# 6
09-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:

Nope 100% against that. The problems with this kind of system, what happens to those that actually get disconnected from the game by no fault of their own? What if it happens more than once in a month time frame? Should they get the stacked penalty? Because there is no way PWE could actually prove they didn't just "disconnect" to get out of the STF (as a disconnect is a disconnect).

I agree with this ^ 100%, couldn't had said it better myself. Don't forget Cryptic's servers disconnect a lot of people, it's something they really need to fix. As well as throwing everyone into an already maxed out instance rather than trying to equal the number of players in all instances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Lieutenant
# 7
09-17-2012, 10:45 PM
It seems to be forgotten that returning to the game imediately after a server disconnect will take you BACK into the match you were disconnected from. That has always happened to me when I've gotten kicked off the Cryptic servers.

Returning to a match will negate the infraction.
Empire Veteran
# 8
09-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloserenus View Post
It seems to be forgotten that returning to the game imediately after a server disconnect will take you BACK into the match you were disconnected from. That has always happened to me when I've gotten kicked off the Cryptic servers.

Returning to a match will negate the infraction.
What if the match is right on finishing when you disconnect, you need to reboot or something and by the time you get back in it's all over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Career Officer
# 9
09-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Going to remain civil .....

I have been here since beta.........There is no need for the totalitarian penalty proposal.

STF's are full of players who ruin oit for others by things other then just leaving.

Are you next going to impose a penalty for any player who does not heal his ships/body damage.

What about an auto boot for a player who does not move his ship and or does no signifigant damage to a mob

What about players who are on opposite sides of the map from the team and trying to kill a cube on ELITE INF when the other group is on the other side?

I do many stf's...I do not care if i get the optionals.......What I do care about is finishing it.......Much of my dilemmas come from people who are a detriment to the point that they ruin the stf for the team......you would protect these players...the lousy ones

IMO you are pandering to the minority who feel hurt that people leave stfs and "HOW DARE" they leave me high and dry in an stf....

In reality the less restraints there are in STFS the better off we will be......
Napoleon's final defeat came at Waterloo. Must've been embarrassing. You're the f'ing emperor. You conquered all of Europe, only to lose in a place with a stupid name like Waterloo. Or Watergate, or Whitewater. Note to politicans: Stay on land.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Yes. Should be even a notch rougher, banning from creating a new one.

+1 to the OP - no care-bearing.
~~~~[ signed by ]~~~~
FED: Mir Fnar <S>, Shillegah Z'Cknli <R,E>, Neane <E>
KDF: A'ma <T>, Ethexio <S>
~~~~[ in game since 2010 ]~[ accolades: 13,910 pts ]