Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,197
# 111
09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Afraid things are much more complicated. Cryptic can't legally accept free work, and if they did, without a contract, they potentially could open themselves to massive lawsuits. That's why they don't accept things like Player Made designs, or why it took a very long time for Cryptic to go through the legal process of getting the Vesta in game.

And being paid with Dilithium or Zen, I believe there are laws that state people have to be paid in real currency for their work or services.


It's a nice idea, but Cryptic just can't take the easy road for this. Only way we could see it if one of the team works on their free time to make accurate interiors. Or the work was subcontracted.
Do you know a really good Trek environmental artist? We COULD get the community behind a "hire this guy for the next opening on Tacofangs' team" thing and show off the guy's portfolio.

I think it would be great if we knew some Trekkies with modding background.

Heck, I know a few designers that have applied. I know for a fact that they've interviewed Foundry authors.

Maybe what we need is a "Cryptic! Hire this guy!" thread where an OP maintains a list of Foundry authors, game designers, and mod community folks that would be good for STO.

Could be writers. (They've mentioned looking at getting Kestrel an assistant.) Could be folks like the guy who designed the Century class. Could be fan community voice actors to consider getting for VO, like some of the folks who have done the award winning Pendant audio fan series. Could be fan composers or people like Ron Jones (whose music I think would be the easiest to get of the Trek composers).
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,152
# 112
09-18-2012, 10:58 AM
We are hiring, but having an extra pair of hands doesn't mean those hands are dedicated to adding foundry assets. S/He would be in the same boat as the rest of us, with a schedule s/he'd have to keep, and deadlines to make.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy



Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 236
# 113
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
We are hiring, but having an extra pair of hands doesn't mean those hands are dedicated to adding foundry assets. S/He would be in the same boat as the rest of us, with a schedule s/he'd have to keep, and deadlines to make.
I think the real question is when the guy(s) in charge are going to wake up to how important the foundry is, and actually make it a real development priority. The people developing NW seem to get it, but the one(s) calling the shots on STO dont.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,947
# 114
09-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthurts View Post
I think the real question is when the guy(s) in charge are going to wake up to how important the foundry is, and actually make it a real development priority. The people developing NW seem to get it, but the one(s) calling the shots on STO dont.
You know, I like, have authored two missions, and use the Foundry a lot. That said, in the most recent Forum poll after DStahl's September Q&A; Foundry improvement is running dead last. Just saying.

Edited to add:
Link to said poll
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Last edited by crypticarmsman; 09-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 115
09-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
We are hiring, but having an extra pair of hands doesn't mean those hands are dedicated to adding foundry assets. S/He would be in the same boat as the rest of us, with a schedule s/he'd have to keep, and deadlines to make.
Dstahl told us that more assets are coming. He said so in the Ask Cryptic thread. He should probably know if nobody actually has it on their schedule or if it's not in someone's job description.

Assets have been prioritized. But, judging from your comments, there is nobody actually doing anything and it's not really a priority. I'll also assume from your earlier remarks that absolutely nothing has been done asset-wise to bring the NW interior building into STO's foundry.

Meanwhile we have walls and no ceiling or floors. Is it just too much to ask for a couple of primitives with a seamless carpet texture? Really? A Bajoran orb to go with the orb effects? Really?

You guys have this stuff built. We need it. Just put in it.

One might suspect that the dev team is trying to guard their own creations, handicap foundry authors and guarantee that our sets will be rather ugly compared to official content. It could be seen as passive aggressive hostility to the amateurs.

"Let's see them make an Fed interior with 3 walls that don't fit together and no ceilings and floors! HA! Take that, you rookies!"

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-18-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 236
# 116
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Dstahl told us that more assets are coming. He said so in the Ask Cryptic thread. He should probably know if nobody actually has it on their schedule or if it's not in someone's job description.

Assets have been prioritized. But, judging from your comments, there is nobody actually doing anything and it's not really a priority. I'll also assume from your earlier remarks that absolutely nothing has been done asset-wise to bring the NW interior building into STO's foundry.

Meanwhile we have walls and no ceiling or floors. Is it just too much to ask for a couple of primitives with a seamless carpet texture? Really? A Bajoran orb to go with the orb effects? Really.

You guys have this stuff built. We need it. Just put in it.

One might suspect that the dev team is trying to guard their own creations, handicap foundry authors and guarantee that our sets will be rather ugly compared to official content. It could be seen as passive aggressive hostility to the amateurs.

"Let's see them make an Fed interior with 3 walls that don't fit together and no ceilings and floors! HA! Take that, you rookies!"
Unfortunately, all the assets in the world arent really going to get more people playing foundry missions. What is needed to do that is comparable rewards to what they get from playing official missions.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 117
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthurts View Post
Unfortunately, all the assets in the world arent really going to get more people playing foundry missions. What is needed to do that is comparable rewards to what they get from playing official missions.
That's coming soon (tm). Someone is actually working on that, I think.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 118
09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
You know, I like, have authored two missions, and use the Foundry a lot. That said, in the most recent Forum poll after DStahl's September Q&A; Foundry improvement is running dead last. Just saying.

Edited to add:
Link to said poll
The people who build missions and voted for it in the poll are probably the smallest subset of the playerbase. Maybe we're larger than the pvpers? Who knows?

70% of the players are asking for new story content. We've been about the only ones making story content for the last year or so. So, if they want story, we're apparently all they got, apart from maybe 5 hours of dev made story content that will be playable in the next 16 months.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,512
# 119
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthurts View Post
Unfortunately, all the assets in the world arent really going to get more people playing foundry missions. What is needed to do that is comparable rewards to what they get from playing official missions.
This is already implemented in the Neverwinter foundry. Hopefully it will get ported to STO very soon.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 120
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
And Taco, I know you're an environmental artist removed from the Foundry. My frustration isn't directed at you. But you show up in the dev tracker, unlike our mysterious sto foundry dev that we've nicknamed Barclay.

And the foundry team is like section 31. They never communicate.

Still, can I have a flat primitive with a seamless carpet texture?

That doesn't seem like difficult request for the art team of a video game.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 PM.