Career Officer
# 111
09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
Yeah, ok, just gonna throw this into this "discussion."

I've got an Astrophysics degree, inspired by my love of Star Trek... only to learn that most of the 'science' in Star Trek is so far off the wall, it's not even funny.
i seen recently we have developed a cloaking device, a theoritcal tractor beam and warp drive may be scientifically possible.

the cloaking device- http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...loaking-device

a tractor beam- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1546482.html

warp drive- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1890679.html

not to mention all the little side tek- padds (ipad anyone?). communicators (bluetooth/cell phones) real working tricorders etc etc.

granted that most of the "science" terms and stuff they use is just filler, but i do like to think we'll get there someday.
Empire Veteran
# 112
09-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:

I've got an Astrophysics degree, inspired by my love of Star Trek... only to learn that most of the 'science' in Star Trek is so far off the wall, it's not even funny.
wouldn't a ship that wanted to make a FTL journey need a fuel tank about the size of jupiter? and the mass of the energy needed to do it would contently count against its ability to accelerate, making it mathematically impossible to reach those speeds without bypassing the laws of physics? which i guess is how they did it in star trek.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 113
09-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
wouldn't a ship that wanted to make a FTL journey need a fuel tank about the size of jupiter? and the mass of the energy needed to do it would contently count against its ability to accelerate, making it mathematically impossible to reach those speeds without bypassing the laws of physics? which i guess is how they did it in star trek.
if i understood warp drive in star trek right, it made you in a bubble that made you outside of space so you weighed a fraction of what you really did or something...

i personally like the event horizons methed of travel. "fold the space to you so you dont go anywhere" engine.
Career Officer
# 114
09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
agree with the buffs on sci powers that need it( most if not all) but not a nerf on tac team. that would make pvp impossible in a bop for those of us that dont use keybinds at all.
Banned
# 115
09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Quote:

Thank you.
Banned
# 116
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
if i understood warp drive in star trek right, it made you in a bubble that made you outside of space so you weighed a fraction of what you really did or something...

i personally like the event horizons methed of travel. "fold the space to you so you dont go anywhere" engine.
Which again requires such a massive amount of energy, that you couldn't possibly do it in all honesty.

FTL is Magic. Not Science.
Career Officer
# 117
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyandfrosty View Post
Which again requires such a massive amount of energy, that you couldn't possibly do it in all honesty.

FTL is Magic. Not Science.
Everything that we dont understand is "magic" until we figure it out. Take anything and at some point it was "magic"

Read that link I posted. It's insightful. I don't think well have warp drive in any of our lifetimes but we will have it or somthing similar to it in the future.

Last edited by matteo716maikai; 09-18-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Captain
# 118
09-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
Everything that we dont understand is "magic" until we figure it out. Take anything and at some point it was "magic"

Read that link I posted. It's insightful. I don't think well have warp drive in any of our lifetimes but we will have it or somthing similar to it in the future.
I posted a similar link (among the many I listed) which referenced:

http://www.icarusinterstellar.org/da...eld-mechanics/

The primary source article.

The basic problem is he wants to play a fantasy game and is brushing all the links and even quote from a famous Sci-Fi author rather then admit the game is based on a Sci-Fi IP.
Banned
# 119
09-18-2012, 10:59 PM
No the basic problem is you're suffering under the delusion that ST has anything to do with science. Asking another Sci Fi author if Trek is Realistic, is like asking a drunkard what sobriety is like.

Go ask our astrophysics major in this thread how much more ST is magic than science.

We'll never have warp drive, not one that functions for people transport at any rate, due to the energy required to make it work. While it's not as Infinite as hitting the speed of light, it's up there. IIRC the figures bandied about last I had read about it were something like " the equivalent energy of a Big Bang".

Yeah. That's feasible alright.

It's okay for At Will Singularity generation, it's okay for Warp Drive.

But zomg noooo tac buffing sci abilities breaks your immersion. Yeah.. I think it's less that and more butt hurt cause you went and did something stupid against a tac buffed FBP like use an Overload while it was up and it Gibbed you.

Tell you what, lets eliminate each and every non credible sci ability from the game. There goes, GW, Tykens, Tractor beams, Tractor Repulsion, Charged Particle Burst, Tachyon Beam, any Sci Healing abilities what so ever. Only sci abilities that should be in the game for "realistic science!"?

VM, Scramble Sensors, and Jam Sensors. Yeah, that game looks real fun right there.

Oh and to address your "you need to get light years away form warpcore explosions!" Funny they didn't have to do that in the Dominion war now did they. They were poppin ships like pez candy right near each other that had live cores ALL THE TIME. Seems to me their power generation capabilities, are solely base don plot convenience rather than hard and fast rules to me... mmm lets see I guess that would mean more Magic than Sci Fi. After all their potency in explosions, seems to vary along the lines of A Wizard Did It.

Last edited by ghostyandfrosty; 09-18-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Career Officer
# 120
09-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyandfrosty View Post
No the basic problem is you're suffering under the delusion that ST has anything to do with science. Asking another Sci Fi author if Trek is Realistic, is like asking a drunkard what sobriety is like.

Go ask our astrophysics major in this thread how much more ST is magic than science.

We'll never have warp drive, not one that functions for people transport at any rate, due to the energy required to make it work. While it's not as Infinite as hitting the speed of light, it's up there. IIRC the figures bandied about last I had read about it were something like " the equivalent energy of a Big Bang".

Yeah. That's feasible alright.

It's okay for At Will Singularity generation, it's okay for Warp Drive.

But zomg noooo tac buffing sci abilities breaks your immersion. Yeah.. I think it's less that and more butt hurt cause you went and did something stupid against a tac buffed FBP like use an Overload while it was up and it Gibbed you.

Tell you what, lets eliminate each and every non credible sci ability from the game. There goes, GW, Tykens, Tractor beams, Tractor Repulsion, Charged Particle Burst, Tachyon Beam, any Sci Healing abilities what so ever. Only sci abilities that should be in the game for "realistic science!"?

VM, Scramble Sensors, and Jam Sensors. Yeah, that game looks real fun right there.

Oh and to address your "you need to get light years away form warpcore explosions!" Funny they didn't have to do that in the Dominion war now did they. They were poppin ships like pez candy right near each other that had live cores ALL THE TIME. Seems to me their power generation capabilities, are solely base don plot convenience rather than hard and fast rules to me... mmm lets see I guess that would mean more Magic than Sci Fi. After all their potency in explosions, seems to vary along the lines of A Wizard Did It.
where theres a will theres a way. we'll eventually find some way to bend some law to get the job done. its human nature to challenge these things.

as for the dominion war, i dont recall any of the ships being blown to bits suffering a "warp core explosion" they all seemed to be destroyed from weapons fire which leads me to think that not every kill=warp core death. they need to label this ingame so as to not be misleading and maybe actually make abandon ship cause a warp core breech?