Captain
# 121
09-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
if i understood warp drive in star trek right, it made you in a bubble that made you outside of space so you weighed a fraction of what you really did or something...

i personally like the event horizons methed of travel. "fold the space to you so you dont go anywhere" engine.
Alcubierre Drive

Something we're now coming to realize may be more feasible than previously thought.

Quote:
i seen recently we have developed a cloaking device, a theoritcal tractor beam and warp drive may be scientifically possible.

the cloaking device- http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...loaking-device

a tractor beam- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1546482.html

warp drive- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1890679.html

not to mention all the little side tek- padds (ipad anyone?). communicators (bluetooth/cell phones) real working tricorders etc etc.

granted that most of the "science" terms and stuff they use is just filler, but i do like to think we'll get there someday.

Technology, yes. There's no doubt that the iPad/communicator/tricorder have helped shaped modern technology.

I'm talking more about the actual 'science' behind stuff. 'ZOMG REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE MAGNETON FIELD BY INITIATING A THETA RADIATION BURST, AND THEN USE AN INVERSE TACHYON PULSE TO MODULATE THE PHOTON NUTATION!'
Career Officer
# 122
09-19-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
Alcubierre Drive

Something we're now coming to realize may be more feasible than previously thought.

Technology, yes. There's no doubt that the iPad/communicator/tricorder have helped shaped modern technology.

I'm talking more about the actual 'science' behind stuff. 'ZOMG REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE MAGNETON FIELD BY INITIATING A THETA RADIATION BURST, AND THEN USE AN INVERSE TACHYON PULSE TO MODULATE THE PHOTON NUTATION!'
ah just the general science babble and tech-no babble right?

"captain we're coming up on some sort of subspace anamoly!"
Banned
# 123
09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
where theres a will theres a way. we'll eventually find some way to bend some law to get the job done. its human nature to challenge these things.

as for the dominion war, i dont recall any of the ships being blown to bits suffering a "warp core explosion" they all seemed to be destroyed from weapons fire which leads me to think that not every kill=warp core death. they need to label this ingame so as to not be misleading and maybe actually make abandon ship cause a warp core breech?
Anytime you have a ship's power generation capabilities compromised, and the structural integrity right along with it, your matter anti matter reaction containment is going to fail. Hard. Guess what happens when anti matter and matter meet.

Boom Boom.

Also, there is no "bending" something like energy requirements. Big Bang Kai.... As in the thing that created the universe. Even if you got the energy requirements seventy five percent lower to make it work, that's still more energy then has ever existed in a given solar system by huge amounts.

Also abandon ship won't make it any more trek like either in that regard. They abandoned all hands in the Defiant and it went poof just fine without wiping out a whole star system.
Banned
# 124
09-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
ah just the general science babble and tech-no babble right?

"captain we're coming up on some sort of subspace anamoly!"
Technobabble is nothing more than spell components frankly. Same deal with most of the so called exotic particles in the ST universe.
Gravitons, Chronitons, Tetryon, and so many others. They have as much to do with Reality, as does a Fireball. (I mean pyrokinesis... that is so totally different than Magic! it's psychic!)
Captain
# 125
09-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
Alcubierre Drive

By in large it was presented as logical deduction of if we use Future Tech A w/Future Tech B under Conditions X Then result Z occurs, or Oops we didn't know Future Tech C was around, we have observed the results and analyzed the information now have to use Future Tech C etc.

Yes, it's a fiction show w/poetic license and all, and having as long a run as it did w/many different writers and even outliving the shows creator there's not as much consistancy as there could have been. But, the methodology is shown fairly consistantly.

""Today's science fiction is often tomorrow's science fact. The physics that underlies Star Trek is surely worth investigating. To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit."

? from the foreword by Stephen Hawking"

Quote found:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...s_of_Star_Trek

So to update, I've provided quotes from one of the most influencial and prolific Sci-Fi writers and one of the most famous Theoretical Physicists of the 20th Century refering to Star Trek as Science Fiction. I've provided over 1/2 dozen link to various technologies developed or under development or w/theories exploring the development of techonologies used in the IP. One of them even includes a link to Telsa's wiki to show he worked on Ionized weapons (you know like charged particle burst ...) in the 1st half of the 20th century.

At this point this is about leading a horse to water and not being able to force it to drink.
Captain
# 126
09-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Wow this thread really went downhill fast. It started out as a way for us to comment about the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of science BOFF abilities, then became this.

Well, here are my 2 cents. It's a video game. Specifically, it's a MMORPG. Certain things have to be done in the name of gameplay that might fly in the face of the IP and/or modern science.

In Star Trek, avoiding violence was usually the main goal in any conflict. In this game, we have to shoot things, almost everything we encounter really. That's not Trek.

As far as Sci BOFF abilities like GW not being realistic: who cares? Quite frankly, GW is little more than an AOE hold ability. They just gave it a name and an animation that somewhat fit into the overall theme of the IP. It, and other comparable powers, have their equivalents in other games. You're just seeing the Star Trek version.

Now, to address scientific realism. The only similarity Star Trek science has to our current understanding of the universe is in the names. Star Trek, in all its incarnations, has always played fast and loose with the science. I believe this has been pointed out before, but it's true.

Warp Drive, for instance, in the earlier days of the IP you would believe that it was the standard maneuvering system for the Enterprise. They were having phaser battles at warp speeds, while executing harsh maneuvers. As the brand evolved, so did the notion of how warp drive functioned. It became a bubble of subspace that surrounded the ship somehow nullifying the laws of physics. One that was dangerous to use in solar systems and was only used to facilitate interstellar travel, with the impulse drive being used for "local" travel. Then came the Abrams distaster which tried to mold it into modern theory in which space-time is "warped" and pulls the starship along with it. (basically summed up by Mr. Scott's line about "space moving, not the ship") All of which are impossible to accomplish according to modern scientific theory.

There is also the fact that modern science might be completely wrong. In fact, there is some evidence out there that says it may be. Real science, in regards to this IP, is nothing but a source for realistic sounding names for the ridiculous things sci-fi writers need to happen.

What we need is a mix of effective CC and debuffing abilities. Whatever the designers choose to call them or make them appear, they are a necessary part of this game. Right now sci captains have been funneled into a few specific builds that can be effective when used properly, if they want to fly a sci ship (which they should ). Fixing the abilities listed in the OP, using feedback given by the OP and others, needs to happen for sci's to truly feel free to fly their ships.
Quote:
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIYOTT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ: Have you wondered that maybe all the things they've added to the gaem lately is to literally make PvP unbearable? Because everything they've added has no use in PvE at all; we know the big boss hates 14 yo min maxers

Last edited by brandonfl; 09-19-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Captain
# 127
11-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Well I didn't read through the whole thread, but wow, the first page alone has helped me.

I've been running an assault cruiser with Tachyon Beam and Sci Team in the sci slot.

I am so replacing that Tachyon Beam with Hazard Emitters.

I was being forced to anyway, the Borg have been slaughtering me lately.

Thank you very much guys.

Although it is weird that Science Team doesn't remodulate the shields to clear Borg Shield Drain...or that Polarize Hull doesn't break Tractor Beams.
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"