Captain
I am currently not an active STO player and act as a 'consultant' for my fleet's progress through S6.

But this didn't stop me from promoting STO when I was with F1 Caterham Team driver Heikki Kovalainen this evening during the Angry Birds: Heikki event at Fairmont Singapore.

We were competing head to head demolishing stuff in the Angry Birds competition and were neck to neck on the scoreboard for the most part before a totally random shot on my end boosted my score skyhigh on my last attempt. That got me quite a bit of attention from the organizers and I stood with him for the photoshoot.

After that I was asked by a TV news reporter to do an interview since I was the most active 'top player' around and was easily recognizable as I wore the same T-shirt the dev team folks had.

Amongst a lot of gaming related questions was one segment where I was asked if Angry Birds to me was a 'serious' game, and how long I spent 'training' for today's event.

I replied that Angry Birds was definitely to be approached as a casual game and you're not supposed to get all serious about cartoon birds on demolition duty.

Quote:
That's when I mentioned "If you want a 'serious gaming' example, Star Trek Online is my sole 'serious' game as it involves team building, guild management and international diplomacy.. however, such organizational skills can also come in handy during Angry Birds competitions when time is short and efficiently make use of very limited resources in stressful situations... like when you're told to stand side by side with an F1 Driver and duke it out."

I have no idea when or where that piece will be shown on local news and it will probably need editing to be something palatable (I went all Jeremy Clarkson flair and produced a whole talk show out of a simple gamers' interview) but I shall sleep today knowing I did my part to promote STO to an alien and possibly large prospect audience lol.

I mean, if there's a few dozen cameras stuck in your face for an entire hour, some exposure is bound to go out!
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by carmenara; 09-19-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Lieutenant
# 2
09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
That is awesome! Will be sweet if you run into some players who were referred like that! Great Job!!!!!
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 3
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
That's so cool! Thanks for the mention! If you find the interview online, let us know

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Rihannsu
# 4
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Well that's the angry birds and F1 demographics nailed down.

Like shooting things and going fast? We have quantum torpedoes and slipstream drive, come on in.....

No, seriously well done and good plug.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
As a matter of fact I do like F1 and Angry Birds! I gues I can start playing STO now.

Good Job, and hopefully it gets some exposure
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Best plug.............................................. ..... in the world!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 7
09-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Best plug.............................................. ..... in the world!
If this plug was a car it would be a bugatti veyron.

Powwwwweeer!!!!

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 8
09-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Nice. Btw, congrats on your score, and beating Kovalainen.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Captain
# 9
09-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
That's so cool! Thanks for the mention! If you find the interview online, let us know

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

By now, local newspapers and TV have already covered the Angry Birds event.

After my interview there was an off the record session with the reporter and when asked "what was Heikki's score?" I did mention specifically that the focus of the media must be on the race and not on our scoring.

Reason being - our 'local talent' beat Heikki's score by a fair margin and it would be dishonorable to punch out a headline before the race saying "Heikki defeated by local Angry Birds players". It's part of today's media trends to want to make everything sensational but in this case we must be fair to the guest star (Heikki) himself.

What mattered to me was we competed fairly and had fun at it, and we wanted Heikki to do his best in the races starting today (qualifying takes place this evening, the race over the weekend). As the Klingons would say, it was an honorable battle and the other top players and I were content to even be lucky enough to be one of the half dozen or so contestants in the final showdown at 7pm, and there was no gloating or anything.

The driver after all is here in Singapore to DRIVE and not play Angry Birds

Rest assured if the local papers do publish a video of the interview online (and if they air the STO mention, which is unlikely being an OT comment) I'll keep you informed.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by carmenara; 09-21-2012 at 05:04 AM.