Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
09-19-2012, 11:31 AM
ftl drives are a very long way from reality, it all sounds good but it would take more resources and a testing area then this little planet. the last thing i want to see is this device being created deep underground, it explodes taking out the united states in one go and the planet ending up in an ice age with deadly radiation floating along the surface. it would be better to try it on the moon, at least if it does go up, there is no atmosphere to keep the deadly clouds from forming and space is full of radiation anyway and earth is more or less safe from the explosion.

but i am intrigued that it is a Mexican design that will get humans into space at a faster speed, and i want to find out if there are any advancements on this idea.
Rihannsu
# 22
09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captwinters1701 View Post
I'm more concerend about those guys at CERN creating miniature black holes. I've read too many Sci-Fi books where that doesn't end well for us. :p
Right, I remember one where it opened a breach between universes. Thus contaminating the physical laws of out universe with those of a different universe. what happened? The other universe's physical laws didn't allow for objects to be made of solid or semi-solid matter. The area within a mile of the breach was reduced to a formless mist. If people got too close their bodies would breakdown(and they'd die). The book ended before anyone came up with a solution. The one scientist guy in the book speculated that either the rift would collapse on its own, expand until Earth was totally disintegrated and everyone dead, or maybe somewhere in between....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
# 23
09-19-2012, 12:47 PM
The theory is relatively elegant, it obeys Einstein, and all that good stuff. The power issue could potentially be resolved by more progress on this, at least short term:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...breaking-even/

The big bugaboo with this idea is the "exotic matter." This exotic matter would have to have negative mass applied to it, at which point the wheels come off because per the Standard Model, the exotic anti-mass particles would need to violate causality, the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and a few other "known laws" of the universe.

It's a nice thought, but until we figure out how to tell physics to sit in a corner and think about what it's done, it's still only a thought. Still, folding space -- however we do it -- may still be a better way to go than sitting around waiting for someone to dig a giant metal ring up from the sands of Giza and figure out how to turn it on.

Last edited by evilbenfranklin; 09-19-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added color commentary.
Rihannsu
# 24
09-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Nah. The written "laws of physics" aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Seriously. Those are simply our collective best guesses as to how the universe functions. Just because we haven't found something yet, doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 25
09-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Last edited by oldkirkfan; 09-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Captain
# 26
09-19-2012, 05:59 PM
I like what this person had to say.

http://www.space.com/17628-warp-driv...aceflight.html
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Captain
# 27
09-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
I like what this person had to say.

http://www.space.com/17628-warp-driv...aceflight.html
lol this is from the first post of this thread, thanks for reposting something which the thread maker already posted.