Captain
# 131
09-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
I may have misrepresented / gone overboard with some of my ideas. My apologies.

Here's what I was meant to say:

- Each major ship class would have its own unique deck layout
For instance, the basic structure of a Intrepid ship interior would also be used by the Cochrane, Discovery and Bellerophon class variants

- No ship will have every single canon deck fully fleshed out - where possible, unnecessary rooms and corridors will be sealed off to conserve map space.
Therefore, the Galaxy interior WILL NOT have all 42 decks with every single crew quarter and ODN access panel

- Get rid of the current genericized and condensed three-deck layout (Command / Crew / Engineering) - they're hokey.

- Have the canon rooms located on relative decks, skipping entire unneeded decks where possible
On the Intrepid class:
Deck 1 will have the Bridge, Ready Room and Conference Room
Deck 2 will have the Mess Hall
Deck 3 will have the Captain's Quarters
Deck 4 will have the Security Complex (Armory + Brig + Holodeck) and Transporter Room
Deck 5 will have the Science Lab and Sickbay
Deck 10 will have the Astrometrics and Shuttlebay
Deck 11 will have Main Engineering
(Decks 6,7,8,9,12,13,14,15 will be omitted from the map)
(I'll try doing similar canonical but condensed deck layouts for as many other ship classes as I can)

- Have mission gameplay that actually takes place on the player's own ship interiors, instead of the current generic ones.
When I'm playing an FDC First Contact mission, if I'm on an Intrepid class the dignitaries would be in the Voyager conference room. If I'm on a Galaxy class they would be in the TNG conference room.

Or perhaps have ship boarding combat scenarios similar to Colony invasion that makes use of the player's own ship interiors.

- Limit customisation to choice of carpet, doorway, hallway and LCARS color schemes.

Even with these compromises I've listed, this would be good enough for most players. You don't even need to invoke the Foundry or making any more assets.
Isn't this exactly what I said? ?????????? ??

I still think that you should be able to place props, trophies, and decorations everywhere. Things like cups, bottles, wine glasses, ship models, paperweights and stuff like that on your desk, a glass cabinet for ship models and trophies, make the fish tank in the corner of your ready room a floor trophy place, let people hang pictures and paintings on the walls, add little things to the rooms, like decorations to the lounge and that sort of thing.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 132
09-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Content is content, whether it's missions, new social zones and features (as opposed to bug fixes).

The only reason I am enthusiastic about this proposal is because I'd like to see canon customisation ship interiors that would have significant action on regular gameplay, and not just acting as a "house" to store loot or a "gateway" to other missions.
Content may be content, but knowing the players of STO, if it's going to be just new shinies, they are going to get upset. So if Cryptic put all their efforts into canonical interiors and nothing new to go along with it, that has long-term value, people are going to get rather discontent.
Captain
# 133
09-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Isn't this exactly what I said?
I had to reiterate because a few other posters assumed we would get to build everything from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I still think that you should be able to place props, trophies, and decorations everywhere. Things like cups, bottles, wine glasses, ship models, paperweights and stuff like that on your desk, a glass cabinet for ship models and trophies, make the fish tank in the corner of your ready room a floor trophy place, let people hang pictures and paintings on the walls, add little things to the rooms, like decorations to the lounge and that sort of thing.
In other words, basic customisation options in-game, and Foundry for finer placement of knick-knacks. Cool, got it.

I'll send you a PM in a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Content may be content, but knowing the players of STO, if it's going to be just new shinies, they are going to get upset. So if Cryptic put all their efforts into canonical interiors and nothing new to go along with it, that has long-term value, people are going to get rather discontent.
I've said it many times and I'll say it again - enhanced player-customisable ship interiors that are used in actual missions on a regular basis, not just shinies

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
# 134
09-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Quote:
I've said it many times and I'll say it again - enhanced player-customisable ship interiors that are used in actual missions on a regular basis, not just shinies
Well as I said earlier in the thread, missions like repelling Boarding Parties or even having random ship interiors for PvP would make use of the interiors than just back and forth dailies.
Captain
# 135
09-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Well as I said earlier in the thread, missions like repelling Boarding Parties or even having random ship interiors for PvP would make use of the interiors than just back and forth dailies.
Which was also exactly what I said...

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Captain
# 136
09-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Spent a nice afternoon whacking this unofficial proposal together:

http://bit.ly/STOShipInteriorProposal

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Captain
# 137
09-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Quote:

Very nice... while I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I would add/change, if I think of something, I'll yell.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 138
09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Just came across a duplicate thread with an RP-oriented player who was otherwise basically also asking for improved ship interiors.

I've opted against the inclusion of a battle bridge, because most ships are either too small to have them, or that they don't have the saucer separation capabilities to warrant having such a room in the first place.

Of the few ships that in-canon do have such a room, it's difficult to justify what sort of core gameplay feature it would work with.

I'll probably add to my document later today.

Career Officer
# 139
09-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Well your idea gave me an idea of potentially how we can have what some Trek fans been wanting in STO - to actually fight from the bridge.
Lieutenant
# 140
09-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:

First, I'd just like to say that you did a wonderful job, and I'd like to thank you for putting this together.

However, I feel that one big reason the devs haven't mentioned starship interiors is that a lot of the suggestions are hard to implement. So, here's what I think would really help this proposal more realistic and doable:

Minor Decor: I think that placement of these items would be hard to do because each of the decks and rooms vary from ship to ship, and (if at all) a mix-and-match system would be much easier.

Crowd control: this would take up data on storage centers. I don't think this level of control is necessary and it would be much cooler/better to simply tie in your crew count to crowd control (if at all)

Gender/species control: Would be hard to implement because it would require a lot of data (you would select species and/or gender, and their servers would have to randomize within those parameters, see character customization of STO)

Changing uniforms of your crew: Controlling species-specific uniforms would be hard to implement and also take up lots of data. Instead: create a trans-species uniform for each department and for each gender. (one costume for Engineering Male, one costume for Medical Female, etc.)

One way that would help save data on servers, data centers, would be to make your computer assemble the different decks (e.g. the server tells client layout and gives the client the individual rooms/hallways)... I don't know how that would affect system performance, though

Also, I think it would be a great idea to add another currency similar to energy credits that would allow you to purchase starship customizations (both interior and exterior). You would earn these credits by completing the starship mini-games that you listed. The current mix-and-match system would still be the same as before, except that you would use the new credits and some items cost more than others (holographic LCARS would cost more than TNG or VOY).

One last note: I don't want to sound purely negative, but merely add constructive feedback. I would love to see everything on your proposal (other than what I have listed ).

Quote:
Well your idea gave me an idea of potentially how we can have what some Trek fans been wanting in STO - to actually fight from the bridge.
I'd also love to see this, but I really don't see any real reason to do this. The ships would be much harder to manuever with only the viewscreen. In Star Trek cannon, the helm station has all kinds of data at the display to help position the ship, rather than one viewscreen.

Last edited by bermanator; 09-27-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Add respone to azurianstar