Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Rihannsu
# 21
09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
For colony invasion, my best results are a team of a Tac(stealth) and an Eng (for the barrier wall).
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 22
09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
1I don't like but forced to do it to block them
I have been trying to get it nerfed
I hate is that hole in building you jump over

I think what needs to happen is they give team the bonus not the individual it
it would stop I think or limit to 3 or 4 so not fair what they are doing to exploit fleet marks

they are usin 12 Omega for stealth
Lt. Commander
# 23 I do both.
09-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Just got cussed out mid match the other day for being a "runner". The fellow exited the map and was replaced. We managed to get all the objectives after he left too. I'm not certain but I believe he got me aggro'd on purpose while I was evacuating colonist two as was alluded to earlier in this thread.

My very next match after that incident I decided not to run and advanced as a team, second colonist died, third diplomat botched. Third colonist barely lived because I left a firefight to get him. This is the pattern I see, you need a runner, hopefully two.

There are lots of times I'm not the runner and I do my role in the back of the group. Yes I die more there but who cares, my job becomes dps. Just get up and kill some more.

I think the objection to runners comes from people that get especially offended by seeing their characters die. I run colony invasion many times per day and my overwhelming experience is that teams are not capable of advancing as a unit to objectives in time. There are new people that don't know where to go, folks with poor skills/dps... you just can't count on a strong team. If I don't see anybody else running I will always go do it. Each career has the means of pulling it off.

I appreciate runners, all of them except those that taunt in team chat about how you would have sucked without them. I know better because I could have just as easily gotten those objectives myself.

You talk about npc's spawning as you approach targets, but what about the timers? Those don't suddenly begin as you get near, timers are what I'm trying to beat. Also, the npc that spawns for the last critical data download does not do so prematurely if I wander through that area. Best to get things while unchallenged.

Play however you want though, I can survive you and you me. I average 30 marks regardless.

Last edited by fourxgamer; 09-17-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Career Officer
# 24
09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
A lot also depends on who you're fighting. I've noticed that Runners invariably make it take years to finish when fighting undine, but give great results against klingons, for example. That's my experience anyway.

Anyway... Colony invasion is not a STF and I get the impression that most people just do it for a 'break' from grind maps. The validity of 'procedure' complaints about other players on STF's is debatable, but raging (not directed at anyone who has posted btw) about doing colony invasion 'right' is just plain silly in my opinion. I mean come on... in the grand scheme of things there's not really a great deal of difference between getting 12 and 25 fleet marks...
Career Officer
# 25
09-20-2012, 08:19 AM
just a thought, I tend to run the first half and then go back to help the main group, that is up to the second colonist. BUT the fact is if someone runs all the way to the end, aggro the boss group, I don't really care since there are players who are lurking these runs and they are the real problem not someone trying to help even if they are wrong. We need to get rid of those lurkers
Career Officer
# 26
09-20-2012, 08:27 AM
No problem with "runners" at all.
If they know what they are doing.

In fact the most successful Colony Invasion runs I have been in are when a "runner" (sometimes me) manages to actually score all the objectives.

NEVER have I seen or been in a team that moved methodically forward like a unit that got all objectives. Not Once. Almost every time I am either the "runner" or watch a tac Guy take off using stealth, all objectives get met.

I have no idea why someone would complain about people helping them do better at the mission and earn more Fleet Marks.
Lieutenant
# 27
09-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
No problem with "runners" at all.
If they know what they are doing.

In fact the most successful Colony Invasion runs I have been in are when a "runner" (sometimes me) manages to actually score all the objectives.

NEVER have I seen or been in a team that moved methodically forward like a unit that got all objectives. Not Once. Almost every time I am either the "runner" or watch a tac Guy take off using stealth, all objectives get met.

I have no idea why someone would complain about people helping them do better at the mission and earn more Fleet Marks.
Because usually the runner is braindead and aggro's every mob they come across. I was in a Colony Invasion earlier and they'd dragged the boss mob back to the 6th mobs spawn point and aggro'd the monkey for added giggles. That was the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th spawns of Hirogen plus the monkey that the other 4 were having to deal with whilst the idiot that aggro'd them hid around the corner under stealth. I thought he was trolling but from the incoherent typing in chat I think he was just on day release and high on prozac, either that or came from a very shallow gene pool.

The runners aren't a problem if they're careful not to aggro all the other mobs but that's rarely the case in my experience, and when they're not all they're doing is making the whole experience more painful for everyone else by dragging those aggro'd NPCs back to the rest of the group. Considering many of the NPCs in there are using damage types with limited available resistance (Breen and Cold, Undine and Psionic and the Hirogen with the Tetryon that seems much more effective than mine) those extra mobs make things really annoying for the rest of the group.
# 28
09-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyberkowitz1 View Post
Because usually the runner is braindead and aggro's every mob they come across. I was in a Colony Invasion earlier and they'd dragged the boss mob back to the 6th mobs spawn point and aggro'd the monkey for added giggles. That was the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th spawns of Hirogen plus the monkey that the other 4 were having to deal with whilst the idiot that aggro'd them hid around the corner under stealth. I thought he was trolling but from the incoherent typing in chat I think he was just on day release and high on prozac, either that or came from a very shallow gene pool.

The runners aren't a problem if they're careful not to aggro all the other mobs but that's rarely the case in my experience, and when they're not all they're doing is making the whole experience more painful for everyone else by dragging those aggro'd NPCs back to the rest of the group. Considering many of the NPCs in there are using damage types with limited available resistance (Breen and Cold, Undine and Psionic and the Hirogen with the Tetryon that seems much more effective than mine) those extra mobs make things really annoying for the rest of the group.
Well I did add the words "if they know what they are doing" to my statement. You are correct that someone who doesn't understand the job , shouldn't be a runner. At most you have to aggro 1 extra mob for the group and thats the one at the 2nd colonist.

It sounds like you ran into someone who was griefing you guys by spawning all the mobs. Still even then , if they got all the objectives, then why complain ? Yeah , it's a harder , action movie fight against tons of bad guys, BUT the objectives are complete AND your fleet mark reward is locked in.

I can see it being a pain getting caught in a giant never ending mob, but if all objectives were met ... cheerio ! pip pip ! happy day ! Full Marks !
Lieutenant
# 29
09-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Well I did add the words "if they know what they are doing" to my statement. You are correct that someone who doesn't understand the job , shouldn't be a runner. At most you have to aggro 1 extra mob for the group and thats the one at the 2nd colonist.
And that's the problem, usually they don't. I can think of only one time that a runner didn't aggro everything in there path, otherwise it's just a huge mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejohn
It sounds like you ran into someone who was griefing you guys by spawning all the mobs. Still even then , if they got all the objectives, then why complain ? Yeah , it's a harder , action movie fight against tons of bad guys, BUT the objectives are complete AND your fleet mark reward is locked in.
Oh, he wasn't trolling. Someone in the group called him a ****** for aggroing everything and he said he didn't know you could get the optionals without aggroing them. He'd just seen someone else run ahead and assumed you just ran forward toward the optionals without realising that managing the aggro is just as important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejohn
I can see it being a pain getting caught in a giant never ending mob, but if all objectives were met ... cheerio ! pip pip ! happy day ! Full Marks !

Personally I don't play for the marks, I play Colony Invasion because it's one of the few actually challenging ground encounters that requires some measure of competence without resorting to one shotting NPCs (at least in a PuG). The marks are useful but I'd rather get all but one of the optionals and enjoy the encounter than get them all and spend all my time clearing up someone else's mess.
It's not like the fleet marks are even hard to get so missing out on a couple of fleet marks is hardly the end of the world.
# 30
09-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyberkowitz1 View Post
It's not like the fleet marks are even hard to get so missing out on a couple of fleet marks is hardly the end of the world.
Wrong, many people don't like running after marks, yet they are important if you are ahead of a 1800 or more marks grind with only a handfull of players in the fleet.

Those stupid cooldowns plus the relatively awfull reward vs effort of many missions make things very tedious.

So, for many people and espcially in PUGs, the correct recipe is to make less runs, as fast as possible, with the best possible mark reward.

Since colony invasion is a short mission with an ok mark reward and since solo running ahead insure that you will get the maximum possible quantity of marks regardless of the skill of your team the best strat is to run ahead to secure objectives and let the team deal with the rest.

It's a Human thing, people will always take the shortest and easiest way to their goal and bad luck for you the easy mark road passes in colony invasion.

And tbh, just like said above, if you can't deal with it then leave, someone will be happy to take your room and get easy marks.