Lieutenant
# 11
09-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I really think Lockboxes should be renamed Donation Boxes. That is what this game wants and needs. I think that is what a lot of people miss about lockboxes. Obviously if C-Store sales of ships in the normal way aren't making enough for the game then they need to resort to other methods to keep this game running and adding new content.

Some peoples' assumption that Cryptic and PWE are exploiting it _might_ be correct, however if they are making this extra income then it becomes very worthwhile to keep updateing the game and improving hardware to increase a player base to "exploit", so it is still a win for us.

I am middle of the road, I don't know what PWE and Cryptic have to do to keep this game running so it is very hard to comment, and over all I find if I don't know it's better to just be optimistic, it's less stressful and also the reason why I think lockboxes should be renamed to Donation Boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
If Cryptic absolutely has to use this method to keep the game going, then I'm all for it. They know much better than I do what it takes to keep the money coming in. I have no problem with lockboxes, either. I just didn't get why they couldn't sell them outright and put them in the box. Judging from today's events, however, it is clear that keeping those ships exclusive to lockboxes is far more profitable for them. One of my own fleet mates bought $100 of keys on sale and declared that "there's no way in hell I ain't getting a Galor this time." Poor fool never got a Galor. lol
Captain
# 13
09-21-2012, 02:06 PM
The straightforward answer to OP's question:

* CBS - They don't, according to devs, want a fleet of Galors and Jem'Hadar bugs running around in massive numbers. I can't blame them for that, really.

* Cash - They manage to make $25 off of a c-store ship. If it's an account-wide unlock that's the only cash they'll ever make from that particular player for this particular ship. Not good if your're making a ton of money off of people slavishly pouring keys into an endless stream of boxes. As such, if you can buy them for $25, that caps how much money they can make off of the ships. Lock boxes are a cash cow, and shooting it's legs out from under it is unwise. And if they were to boost it to $100 per ship in the c-store the rage would be audible from places hundreds of miles from the nearest computer.
Republic Veteran
# 14
09-22-2012, 01:25 AM
It's simply greed, why sell for $25 when you can get $100 or more from a suc...I mean customer.
Career Officer
# 15
09-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalousx View Post
I really think Lockboxes should be renamed Donation Boxes. That is what this game wants and needs. I think that is what a lot of people miss about lockboxes. Obviously if C-Store sales of ships in the normal way aren't making enough for the game then they need to resort to other methods to keep this game running and adding new content...I think lockboxes should be renamed to Donation Boxes.

Quite right, think of them as donation boxes!!! That is how i look at it also. I take it a step further and "donate" a portion of what i get out of the boxes to other players.

A feature they might borrow from APB reloaded is giving players extra boxes depending on how much zen they purchase. Ah well, im sure they will get the right balance sometime.