Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 11
09-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
I have argued before that those stripes are not a different color. they are the same color.
It is the texture that the other parts of the uniform have that is completely missing that makes the difference.
I don't care if they are actually the same color, they LOOK like different colors, thats important to me.
Ok maybe they are the same color, but why do they have use different materials?
Anyway, it looks just stupid having a uniform with darker or (even more ugly) brighter stripes. I wouldn't say anything if we could color them serperately, so one could find a color to make them much less visible.

I find Cryptics uniforms much too overdone and ugly because of that. Sometimes they have nice basic ideas, but the implementation is horrible. They should hold much more on canon Starfleet uniforms instead of making something that doesn't even remotely looks like Starfleet.
Just look at the Bajoran military Uniforms, althrough i don't find them especially good looking (or sympahtic, btw.) they look great, because they are made of the right material. Imagine those uniform made of Cryptics "plastic".. it would look horrible, just as most cryptics original uniforms.

If you ask me, i would prefer them to create new materials (cloth) for their original (sierra, antares and jupiter) uniforms, so they may be look good (or better) at last.

Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
# 12
09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Many people were "complaining" (not only in STO) that Starfleets uniforms always looked like they didn't offer any protection from anything, something I do agree on. Often I thought wouldn't it be sensible to have some kind of "jacket" at least to wear on away missions, let alone tactical engagements?

Then came STO and I think the "plastic" looking uniforms are kinda meant to be "more protective", like the prototype combat suits featured in DS9s "Siege of AR-558". Whenever I see them, I think that it's just a more "protective" version of the uniform. It's still ugly but that's kinda explains it.

The "antares 2" pattern the NPC security wears (which now patrol ESD with drawn miniguns, btw...) was always something like the "hazard suit" from Elite Force in my eyes.

In my own little STO canon, my senior officers wear the last canon uniform (the TNG movie/late DS9 one). My junior officers/regular crewmen up until 1st Lt. wear the DS9 uniform in late DS9 color pattern, effectively a simpler version of it also lacking the sleeve stripes. Those Antares-Security guards are "tactical offiers" in my little world, rsembling the "hazard suit" from mentioned games since these kinda make sense as a "armour" fitting the overall style.

This way, I kind of explain away minor things that bug me. Can't fix the game, though
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Captain
# 13
09-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
Many people were "complaining" (not only in STO) that Starfleets uniforms always looked like they didn't offer any protection from anything, something I do agree on. Often I thought wouldn't it be sensible to have some kind of "jacket" at least to wear on away missions, let alone tactical engagements?

Then came STO and I think the "plastic" looking uniforms are kinda meant to be "more protective", like the prototype combat suits featured in DS9s "Siege of AR-558". Whenever I see them, I think that it's just a more "protective" version of the uniform. It's still ugly but that's kinda explains it.
True Starflet uniforms looked a bit "unprotective" on alien planets for example. I am all for introducing something like a Field jacket or something similar. But Cryptics uniforms look just too much like a Peacekeeper uniform than a Starfleet uniform for my taste. (As all of their designs they are just overdone, just too much)

My persomal preference would be to use a more classic Starfllet uniform on Starships, starbases and other "secure" places. I think the "Generations" uniform would be perfect for that, but thats just my opinion.

In case of away team missions, combat scenarios, or other unfriendly environments, Starfleet personell should wear some kind of field jacket, maybe something like they wore in Star Trek: II, just modernized (but never use plastic as main material of a Starfleet uniform).

In order to do that, we should be able to choose a field- or away team uniform which will automaticly be worn when going to a hostile environment or even a normal away team mission. I cannot imagine that this would be a big problem, IF the devs would be willing to implement a bit more immersion to STO.

Live long and prosper.

Captain
# 14
09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
To be fair, they are using the same design as the Countdown comic.

Also the Generations uniform is not a canon uniform and it seems it never made it beyond concept work as the movie and instead used the early DS9/VOY uniform, I can understand wanting then as a option but I rather see KDF selection being expanded.

Besides you can turn the gloss off the 25th century uniforms, just go into material and pick matte instead of gloss, no more shine.
Career Officer
# 15
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Maybe just put the tng dress uniforms in, instead of the love boat/ splice with the tng dress unoforms that were so ugly they did not make it in game, and were not consistent with the uniforms of the time period and DS9 OR VOYAGER.

The jackets look as if they are not totally bad, but that is what they would wear on the love boat if it were star trek.
Captain
# 16
09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
To be fair, they are using the same design as the Countdown comic.

Also the Generations uniform is not a canon uniform and it seems it never made it beyond concept work as the movie and instead used the early DS9/VOY uniform, I can understand wanting then as a option but I rather see KDF selection being expanded.

Besides you can turn the gloss off the 25th century uniforms, just go into material and pick matte instead of gloss, no more shine.
unfortunately this doesn't help much. If you turn off the "glossy" they look like they where made of rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
Maybe just put the tng dress uniforms in, instead of the love boat/ splice with the tng dress unoforms that were so ugly they did not make it in game, and were not consistent with the uniforms of the time period and DS9 OR VOYAGER.
I like the Generations uniform much more, at least they look like uniforms, instead of those black pyjamas they wore in DS9 and Voy, lol.

Seriously, i am waiting for this uniform since i started playing STO. They look much more like military uniforms, then the TNG series uniform, but still not as braggy as the WOK uniforms.

Sorry for writing so much in this thread but i really like this uniform, i think its a shame they didn't used them for the following movies, instead of those black bags they wore in ST:8-10.

Live long and prosper.

Captain
# 17
09-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
Seriously, i am waiting for this uniform since i started playing STO. They look much more like military uniforms, then the TNG series uniform, but still not as braggy as the WOK uniforms.
Maybe this is the point. We both know that Starfleet is not a military and up until First Contact no uniform actually looked "military" except maybe the TOS movie one which paid a tribute to naval uniforms of the 18th century. The last canon uniforms look more "professional" but keep the "utility" look enough to not make them look like actual military uniforms.

I could imagine the Gnerations uniform as a ceremonial variation but it somehow at least to me doesn't look like something Starfleet would wear on regular duty, it's just too "shiney". DS9/VOY jumpsuits were efficient and kept the iconic colour patterns from TNG (the DS9 uniform is btw a variant of the TNG one, both were worn at the same time maybe to distinguish different corspes or something, mostly starbase personnel wore the DS9 variant).
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Career Officer
# 18
09-21-2012, 03:09 AM
Of course starfleet is a military. They explore yes, but in times of war Starfleet is most certainly the military. It is the same as any Navy today, yes you serve about military vessels, but when a war is not occuring you do other tasks. I served at sea for several years, not everything as combat related. If starfleet was not military, the only other options were that they were privateers or mercenaries...and considering money had little appeal to Federation peoples...it had to be military.

I agree the uniforms look far more true to the true feeling of Star Trek. They blend the explorer and the authority of rank. They look like they command respect.
Captain
# 19
09-21-2012, 05:10 AM
No, it's not. I will say that the original purpose of Starfleet, especially in STO, is more and more blurry portrayed the further the universe progressed and I blame the rising militarism the real world and audience experienced for that (military became "cool" at some point, don't ask me when or why that happened. And that is by no means intended to be disrespectful, mind you.)

Roddenberry made it very clear that he never intended Starfleet to be a military. It is a paramilitary force, tasked with the dfense of the Federation but it is by it's very definition no military. This is stated several times on-screen and behind-the-scenes, for example SF is always under civilian control. It is more a police-force rather than a standing army. The uniform design btw. always paid a tribute to this, the Wrath of Khan movie uniform spawned a rough debate behind the scenes to a point where even actors were offended by the military looks of it.
Captain
# 20
09-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
No, it's not. I will say that the original purpose of Starfleet, especially in STO, is more and more blurry portrayed the further the universe progressed and I blame the rising militarism the real world and audience experienced for that (military became "cool" at some point, don't ask me when or why that happened. And that is by no means intended to be disrespectful, mind you.)
Roddenberry made it very clear that he never intended Starfleet to be a military. It is a paramilitary force, tasked with the dfense of the Federation but it is by it's very definition no military. This is stated several times on-screen and behind-the-scenes, for example SF is always under civilian control. It is more a police-force rather than a standing army.
I absolutely agree with you.
Starfleet always was a "peacekeeping" institutuion, dedicated to science and exploration.

I think militarsim becomes "cool" when people get fearful.
(what those people would never admit of course )

Quote:
The uniform design btw. always paid a tribute to this, the Wrath of Khan movie uniform spawned a rough debate behind the scenes to a point where even actors were offended by the military looks of it.
Wow, i didn't know that.
But i don't think that this "Generations" uniform looks anywhere as militaristic as the WOK or Cryptics uniforms (especially the jupiter ones).

On the other hand i never liked those pyjama like uniforms they wore in Voy or DS9. I think they looked a bit too much like leisure suits and people didn't look antything like an authority when wearing them.
The generations uniform is the perfect mix between those extremeties IMO.

Live long and prosper.