Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 21
09-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
I absolutely agree with you.
Starfleet always was a "peacekeeping" institutuion, dedicated to science and exploration.

I think militarsim becomes "cool" when people get fearful.
(what those people would never admit of course )
That may be a possible explanation, but I don't want to step on anyones toes

Quote:
Wow, i didn't know that.
But i don't think that this "Generations" uniform looks anywhere as militaristic as the WOK or Cryptics uniforms (especially the jupiter ones).

On the other hand i never liked those pyjama like uniforms they wore in Voy or DS9. I think they looked a bit too much like leisure suits and people didn't look antything like an authority when wearing them.
The generations uniform is the perfect mix between those extremeties IMO.

Live long and prosper.
It's true, some statements are quoted on Memory Alpha and came with the bonus material on a special DVD edition of the movies. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) even wrote about that in her book; ""Portraying Starfleet as a military organization flew in the face of everything Star Trek stood for [....] At one point I forcefully but tactfully reminded Meyer and (Harve Bennet) that Starfleet was the philosophical descendant of NASA, not the Air Force."

I know what you mean regarding the DS9 jumpsuits. I always thought about those are functional duty wear while there should be a formal version for representation duties. For example, take a look at Canada's famous mounted police. Their duty uniforms don't differ from your "average" policemen but the bright red one is their representation outfit. I could imagine the "Generations" design as something like this
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
09-21-2012, 03:38 PM
If they add these to the game can they make it so I can make the collars black instead of division colored?
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
that Starfleet was the philosophical descendant of NASA, not the Air Force.
Which is nice for the 1960s and 1980s but is problematic in 2012 seeing as NASA seems to be mostly doing Climate Change research stuff while the Air Force seems to be designing the spaceships.
Captain
# 24
09-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
That may be a possible explanation, but I don't want to step on anyones toes

It's true, some statements are quoted on Memory Alpha and came with the bonus material on a special DVD edition of the movies. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) even wrote about that in her book; ""Portraying Starfleet as a military organization flew in the face of everything Star Trek stood for [....] At one point I forcefully but tactfully reminded Meyer and (Harve Bennet) that Starfleet was the philosophical descendant of NASA, not the Air Force."

I know what you mean regarding the DS9 jumpsuits. I always thought about those are functional duty wear while there should be a formal version for representation duties. For example, take a look at Canada's famous mounted police. Their duty uniforms don't differ from your "average" policemen but the bright red one is their representation outfit. I could imagine the "Generations" design as something like this
My impression was that on starships they wore more formal Uniforms in contrast to the more practical jumpsuits on DS9. I was somehow confused when i first saw Voyager personell wearing DS9 uniforms.
Maybe there was something like in STO going on, Captains maybe could choose what uniform to wear, since we saw Starship personel in DS9 (early seasons) wearing TNG uniforms.
Anyway i like those uniforms, maybe for Starship officers to be weared, you know Captain, First Officer department leaders and so on.

Btw. i find it fascinating to read that the actors are more aware of Star Trek than the producers/directors.
(I think that's something really remarkable, especially if you look at how things are nowadays.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartzilla View Post
If they add these to the game can they make it so I can make the collars black instead of division colored?
I hope so, but IF they introduce those uniforms i wouldn't be so sure since STOs designers tend to connect various uniform pieces to be used with the same color.
(i hope my english is understandable.)

Quote:
Which is nice for the 1960s and 1980s but is problematic in 2012 seeing as NASA seems to be mostly doing Climate Change research stuff while the Air Force seems to be designing the spaceships.
I am sure she meant it on a philosophical level.

In all those "is Starfleet military or police or Science organisation" discussions i like the idea of Starfleet being the sucessor of NASA.

Live long and prosper.
Captain
# 25
09-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Well, she literally wrote "philosophical descendant". Also, in the 60s and 80s nobody knew that a few years later the US will become so terryfied by everything and everyone that they'll scrap their space program effectively for good in favour of even more humongous military fundings achieving, well, basically nothing.

Back then, I think many people had the hope that the cold war would end at some point and humanity would finally reach a state it could start to unveil the secrets of the world surrounding us. Instead, we are living in the 60s and 80s all over again, only worse since now we have robots to kill each other instead of probes venturing into deep space
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Commander
# 26
09-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel2004 View Post
Originally, Star Trek Generations was suppose to have a uniform that was different than what appeared in the movie. I've always loved the mix of TNG uniform and the sleeves from the original series.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2lnrpi.jpg

http://www.trektoy.com/forum/gallery..._11_161567.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/st...u03_m_duty.png

Every other uniform has been added, you gotta complete the set.
OH YES! I would SNAP those up in a heartbeat! I've always preferred the "rank on sleeve" look anyway... seems more "Navy" and has a long and strong tradition in both military and civilian use (Airlines, Merchant Marines, etc.). I especially like the look of that last set if it had "scrambled eggs" on the sleeves.

Actually would love to see the "scrambled eggs" added as an optional variant for all uniform choices.
ZOE: "Sir! You paid money for this?... on purpose??"

KIRK: "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?"
Career Officer
# 27
10-02-2012, 08:38 AM
I would love to see these in a TNG pack. See these Generations uniforms with maybe some stuff from Yesterday's Enterprise. The Yesterday's Enterprise Bridge, the phaser belt option, the Ambassador Class, Ambassador Bridge, and the Galaxy Class hallways and engine room...we need some Yesterday's Enterprise in this game!

And I'm still waiting on my Ambassador Class. Thats the only ship left I would pay for.
Captain
# 28
10-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel2004 View Post
I would love to see these in a TNG pack. See these Generations uniforms with maybe some stuff from Yesterday's Enterprise. The Yesterday's Enterprise Bridge, the phaser belt option, the Ambassador Class, Ambassador Bridge, and the Galaxy Class hallways and engine room...we need some Yesterday's Enterprise in this game!

And I'm still waiting on my Ambassador Class. Thats the only ship left I would pay for.
I would prefer a Galaxy Class Battleship, like the Enterprise -D we saw in the alternate timeline.
Changes to the Galaxy -R:

BOFFs:
Two Lt. Tactical instead of one Lt. Tactical and one Lt. Science.

Consoles:
Three Tactical Consoles instead of three Science Consoles.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by yreodred; 10-04-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Career Officer
# 29
10-07-2012, 08:01 AM
I agree that more uniforms should be added from the TV shows, and these ones look great, especially the ones on the last picture. I wouldn't wear it over my Jupiter uniforms, but it does look really nice.
Captain
# 30
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
No, it's not. I will say that the original purpose of Starfleet, especially in STO, is more and more blurry portrayed the further the universe progressed and I blame the rising militarism the real world and audience experienced for that (military became "cool" at some point, don't ask me when or why that happened. And that is by no means intended to be disrespectful, mind you.)

Roddenberry made it very clear that he never intended Starfleet to be a military. It is a paramilitary force, tasked with the dfense of the Federation but it is by it's very definition no military. This is stated several times on-screen and behind-the-scenes, for example SF is always under civilian control. It is more a police-force rather than a standing army. The uniform design btw. always paid a tribute to this, the Wrath of Khan movie uniform spawned a rough debate behind the scenes to a point where even actors were offended by the military looks of it.
They were more offended by how hot they were in the outfits and how much time and effort it took to put them on.